CONCACAF proposing "League of Nations" | The Boneyard

CONCACAF proposing "League of Nations"

Reaction Score
Similar to what is happening in UEFA (LINK), CONCACAF is proposing a 'Nations League' format, where instead of playing Friendlies, national teams would be in a league with other teams in the confederation.

This is a terrible idea (for CONCACAF) if true... for US, Mexico, and CR, unless there's a way to combine it with all 10 S. American teams to help elevate the competition. It works in UEFA due to the number of quality countries, not so much in our region. While it may now be tougher to schedule European powers for Friendlies, you could still schedule strong teams from Asia, Africa, and S. America, which is better than playing the Bahamas or Aruba.

LINK

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Would be intriguing if they can get South America onboard. Otherwise, I agree with you that this would be a terrible and dull idea

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This is stupid. We should just get more friendlies with South American nations and the better African and Asian nations to cover losing the European friendlies.

Reaction Score
Another Federation cash grab. I don't even think it works in Europe. It's really too soon to tell. The Europeans also don't take Friendlies as seriously as we do.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Similar to what is happening in UEFA (LINK), CONCACAF is proposing a 'Nations League' format, where instead of playing Friendlies, national teams would be in a league with other teams in the confederation.

This is a terrible idea (for CONCACAF) if true... for US, Mexico, and CR, unless there's a way to combine it with all 10 S. American teams to help elevate the competition. It works in UEFA due to the number of quality countries, not so much in our region. While it may now be tougher to schedule European powers for Friendlies, you could still schedule strong teams from Asia, Africa, and S. America, which is better than playing the Bahamas or Aruba.

LINK
Well I'd much rather Friendly's against European competition, but we don't be able to do that anyway. But yea, Africa/S. American games would be great too.

However, if they do it like UEFA is going to do it, Leagues/Promotion/Relegation, then we won't be playing Bahamas, Aruba, Cayman Islands, etc. We'd be in the top league with Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, etc. Which would probably just end up looking like an expanded Hex.

Reaction Score
Well I'd much rather Friendly's against European competition, but we don't be able to do that anyway. But yea, Africa/S. American games would be great too.

However, if they do it like UEFA is going to do it, Leagues/Promotion/Relegation, then we won't be playing Bahamas, Aruba, Cayman Islands, etc. We'd be in the top league with Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, etc. Which would probably just end up looking like an expanded Hex.
Fans want to see diversity though. If we are playing Panama 4 times/year rather than playing Italy or Germany, it wouldn't benefit our team or the viewers.

Reaction Score
I would love to jettison Canada, Central America and the Carribean and have Mexico and the US merge with Conmebol.

Granted I hope that happens provided we have stepped our game up, which we might finally see happened in the next 10-12 years.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is stupid. We should just get more friendlies with South American nations and the better African and Asian nations to cover losing the European friendlies.

And play friendlies against European club teams. We can still do that, right?

Reaction Score
And play friendlies against European club teams. We can still do that, right?

It would be harder to because UEFA now has their own league and we would have ours. Limited availability.

CONCACAF is a joke. I hate having our players fly over from Europe to stay in some hotel in Nicaragua where the fire alarm gets pulled a couple of times a night, and then they risk injury playing on terrible pitches.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Fans want to see diversity though. If we are playing Panama 4 times/year rather than playing Italy or Germany, it wouldn't benefit our team or the viewers.
Agree, it's just not as bad as playing Aruba, Bahamas, etc.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I would love to jettison Canada, Central America and the Carribean and have Mexico and the US merge with Conmebol.

Granted I hope that happens provided we have stepped our game up, which we might finally see happened in the next 10-12 years.
We'd like it, but that would really suck for the European players. Flying from Europe to USA to Chile back to Europe in a week. Yikes!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom