Completing future non-conference schedules through 2020 | The Boneyard

Completing future non-conference schedules through 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Here's the link to what we have: http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/aac/connecticut-huskies.php
Bold text indicates games that I have added in as suggestions. For the record I believe our conference should move to a 9 game schedule but until we do we will continue to have four non-conference games. With 4 non-con games, I would prefer one gimme home win, two challenging home games, and a road game for strength of schedule purposes. We should always at a minimum have 3 home non-conference games, however achieving this with the restriction of the year 2020 changes this preference for a couple of seasons. I chose 2020 because thats the furthest out year that we have scheduled a game for our non conference schedule. I also believe in no FCS teams and did not add any to the schedule.

On a side note I filled in these dates by actually looking at the opponents schedules and matching realistic openings with realistic openings. It was confusing and frustrating and I didn't even have to call another school and ask to get these scheduling deals actually done. A lot harder than it seems. Anyways tell me what you all think of this philosophy.

Schedule: Villanova, Army, @ BYU, San Jose State
Additions: SJSU (pay for play)

Schedule: Virginia, @ Missouri, UMass, San Diego State
Additions: @ Mizzou (First part of home and home), UMass (pay for play), SDSU (first game of home and home)

Schedule: @ Virginia, Penn State (Meadowlands), Marshall, Wyoming
Additions: Penn State home and home (our home game is in the Meadowlands), Marshall (pay for play), Wyoming (pay for play)

2018:

Schedule: @ Boise State, Missouri, @ Penn State, Ohio
Additions: Mizzou (second game of home and home series), Penn State (second game of home and home series, even though it gives us two road non-con games it is a marquee opponent and close), Ohio (pay for play)

2019:

Schedule: Illinois, @ Indiana, Georgia Southern, Air Force
Additions: GA Southern (pay for play), Air Force (pay for play)

Schedule: @ Illinois, Indiana @ San Diego State, Miami (OH)
Additions: @ SDSU (2nd game of home and home), Miami (OH) (pay for play)

Reaction Score
How the Yankee Stadium experience turns out, I think will be a good indicator of our ability to draw scheduling with likes of a Penn State and the rest that would like to play in the Northeast for large alumni bases. It will be a while, before we get something like a home and home again with the likes of a Michigan - but we can build toward it - for sure.

No desire really to play in the Meadowlands. 55-65k for college football in these parts makes for a very nice atmosphere.

Reaction Score
We should always at a minimum have 3 home non-conference games

This is much easier said than does especially being in the G5 going forward. I think it is rare for us to have 7 game home schedules and this cannot be the expected norm if we want to play decent P5 opponents. WM has done a great job for us so far (keeping UM at the rent, BYU, Boise, Illinois, Indiana) but i hate the idea of playing "home" games away from the Rent. That is the kiss of death, we need the big names but not at the expense of lowering our standards. 2 for 1s should also out of the question.

Reaction Score
I don't know...I htink we are mostly set up to have 7 home games, most years. If from time to time we have 6, well, it happens. Not sure the love of playing anyone in the Meadowlands, especially as our home game. Unless UConn fans are willing to travel, and I don't know that they will for Penn State, its a 35000 ticket debacle like Syracuse-southern Cal. I don't know that we need to and I don't know that we want to anyway. As far as Gang of 5 games, I think mostly we're going to play ACC teams and Big 10 teams from the middle and lower tiers, in part because they will do home-home series while Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State are not as likely to do that. Michigan State will be an interesting one to watch, too. Historically they have done those games. With their new-found success, they might hesitate for a while. Not sure why you want to go to the west coast, either. One other thing. I really hope Warde holds Tennessee's feet to the fire to reschedule the series.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
For the record I believe our conference should move to a 9 game schedule...

This is where you and I differ.

For the record I believe our conference should move to a 2 game schedule (I can live with Cincy and UCF).

I'm not a huge fan of conference games as long as the AAC is our conference...

Reaction Score
I think we need to go with an "Anytime, anyone, anywhere..." mentality due to our circumstances. Our schedule needs to impress recruits and a neutral site game here and there won't hurt. If we can beat name teams on the road it will create excitement for our home games.

Hopefully we can leverage our BB teams to schedule teams who want to build their BB schedule up. (men and women)

Reaction Score
I'm already not liking Franklin's attitude and see no reason to punish our season ticket holders with (essentially neutral site) games in the Meadowlands to make it worse.

And not crazy about this:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/04/james_franklin_vanderbilt_rape.html

And the way he ripped apart Vandy's recruiting class on his way out the door.

And every time he opens his mouth he reminds me of this:

herman-cain-third-strike-for-gop-nomination-frontrunner.jpg

So no thanks.

Reaction Score
Penn State already playing Rutgers in New Brunswick so why the need for them to play us at the Meadowlands?

Reaction Score
How about UMass every 2 years, with the possibility of Gillette? I'd be quite happy with that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How is UConn paying Marshall, SJSU, Wyoming etc? Magic beans? Those games are ridiculously expensive.

Wisconsin is paying 1.55 million for USF, Bowling Green and Western Illinois this year.

Reaction Score
How about UMass every 2 years, with the possibility of Gillette? I'd be quite happy with that.
That program is going in the wrong direction very fast. Would rather regular game w. army, at least TV would.be more interested.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How is UConn paying Marshall, SJSU, Wyoming etc? Magic beans? Those games are ridiculously expensive.

Wisconsin is paying 1.55 million for USF, Bowling Green and Western Illinois this year.

Is it $1.55M for each game or in total? Regardless, it'd be too much but just curious.

I think our OOC should and will be filled with the occasional lower P5 team in the ACC or B1G and then I wonder if it makes sense to just schedule lower MAC or C-USA teams and try to run up big W totals?

I see the traditionally decent MAC opponent not being worth it as nobody cares if you win anyways and there's a better chance of a loss (W. Mich.. twice).

As much as I'd love to see a well balanced ooc, given our likely limitations, maybe going really easy is the way to go?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is it $1.55M for each game or in total? Regardless, it'd be too much but just curious.

I think our OOC should and will be filled with the occasional lower P5 team in the ACC or B1G and then I wonder if it makes sense to just schedule lower MAC or C-USA teams and try to run up big W totals?

I see the traditionally decent MAC opponent not being worth it as nobody cares if you win anyways and there's a better chance of a loss (W. Mich.. twice).

As much as I'd love to see a well balanced ooc, given our likely limitations, maybe going really easy is the way to go?

Total for the three games. But it's even more expensive when you have to pay people to travel cross country.

Reaction Score
Here's the link to what we have: http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/aac/connecticut-huskies.php
Bold text indicates games that I have added in as suggestions. For the record I believe our conference should move to a 9 game schedule but until we do we will continue to have four non-conference games. With 4 non-con games, I would prefer one gimme home win, two challenging home games, and a road game for strength of schedule purposes. We should always at a minimum have 3 home non-conference games, however achieving this with the restriction of the year 2020 changes this preference for a couple of seasons. I chose 2020 because thats the furthest out year that we have scheduled a game for our non conference schedule. I also believe in no FCS teams and did not add any to the schedule.

On a side note I filled in these dates by actually looking at the opponents schedules and matching realistic openings with realistic openings. It was confusing and frustrating and I didn't even have to call another school and ask to get these scheduling deals actually done. A lot harder than it seems. Anyways tell me what you all think of this philosophy.

Schedule: Villanova, Army, @ BYU, San Jose State
Additions: SJSU (pay for play)

Schedule: Virginia, @ Missouri, UMass, San Diego State
Additions: @ Mizzou (First part of home and home), UMass (pay for play), SDSU (first game of home and home)

Schedule: @ Virginia, Penn State (Meadowlands), Marshall, Wyoming
Additions: Penn State home and home (our home game is in the Meadowlands), Marshall (pay for play), Wyoming (pay for play)

2018:

Schedule: @ Boise State, Missouri, @ Penn State, Ohio
Additions: Mizzou (second game of home and home series), Penn State (second game of home and home series, even though it gives us two road non-con games it is a marquee opponent and close), Ohio (pay for play)

2019:

Schedule: Illinois, @ Indiana, Georgia Southern, Air Force
Additions: GA Southern (pay for play), Air Force (pay for play)

Schedule: @ Illinois, Indiana @ San Diego State, Miami (OH)
Additions: @ SDSU (2nd game of home and home), Miami (OH) (pay for play)

Drew no slander here as I love your dedication but you need a hobby to get your mind off things occassionally. Frisbee golf, cliff diving or even a good game of marbles at the beach would bring schedule relaxation.
A game in The Meadowlands against Penn St could not, would not and never should be considered a home game for UCONN.
Our HOME games are played at The Dog House in East Hartford CT.
This would not even be a good neutral site as Penn St would out draw us 5 to 1. Now if it were a bowl game that could be a different story...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom