Compassion & good thoughts for Mulkey, daughter, & grandchild | The Boneyard

Compassion & good thoughts for Mulkey, daughter, & grandchild

Reaction Score
Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 8.32.05 AM.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I can only imagine how difficult this situation is for everyone involved. My wife and I are waiting impatiently for our 1st grandchild in a little over a month. We’re incredibly thankful that both mother and child are healthy and doing well.

Reaction Score
My whole outlook on her just took a complete reversal.
I do however still look forward to her disrobing and throwing her jacket again. That and Billy Martin getting thrown out were two of the most exciting plays I can remember .

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
WACO, Texas -- Baylor women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey is preparing to become a grandmother for the first time, exciting news for her that is tempered by word that the unborn child is dealing with two major birth defects.

Makenzie Fuller, who is in her third season on her mother's staff at Baylor after being a four-year letter winner for the Lady Bears, is 18 weeks pregnant, with a due date in April.

Mulkey wrote in a note that she posted on Twitter on Monday that her family is "thrilled that God has brought" the child into their lives, while also saddened by the separate defects that are both life-threatening issues.

Fuller shared in a tweet introducing Scout Marie Fuller that the unborn baby girl's heart didn't develop properly, a condition known as hypoplastic right heart syndrome. She also is believed to have Turner syndrome, a chromosomal condition that alters development in females.

"She has already brought an unimaginable amount of love, strength and faith into our lives," wrote Makenzie Fuller, who is married to former Baylor football player Clay Fuller. "At the same time, we are saddened to say that our daughter is struggling and fighting for her life every day."

In her post, Mulkey wrote about how people have a tendency to "feel as if we are in control of things until you are faced with these types of obstacles."

"This is our life and regardless of what the future holds, Scout will always be my first grandchild," Mulkey said in a tweet she introduced with, "I've been called a lot of things in my life, but Grandma is a first!"

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I can't even imagine. I have no experience with anyone in my family dealing with special needs children, but anyone with an ounce of compassion can certainly feel for Kim and her family. Thoughts and prayers for the remainder of the pregnancy and I know the child (and mom) will be surrounded by lots of love and support.

Reaction Score
Is this the girl that Stewie yelled at to get up when she flopped as if Stewie had just hit her with sniper fire?

Reaction Score
I can't even imagine. I have no experience with anyone in my family dealing with special needs children, but anyone with an ounce of compassion can certainly feel for Kim and her family. Thoughts and prayers for the remainder of the pregnancy and I know the child (and mom) will be surrounded by lots of love and support.
+1

I do have that experience and it is utterly life-changing. You are on one rail of life and suddenly you are put on another. It requires all your (and here I mean the plural: everyone involved) courage, tenacity, and, most importantly, unqualified love. So easy to write, so hard at times to do and give. But you just do, because it's required and because it offers the best hope, and pretty soon you give it because that's who you've become. It is a horrible, horrible truth, because the price is so impossibly high, but those who do become far better and caring people. Not saying that whatever my family has benefited from the gift, we wouldn't trade in a heartbeat for a different outcome. But as Kim said, "this is our life," and we love and embrace it this way.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
+1

I do have that experience and it is utterly life-changing. You are on one rail of life and suddenly you are put on another. It requires all your (and here I mean the plural: everyone involved) courage, tenacity, and, most importantly, unqualified love. So easy to write, so hard at times to do and give. But you just do, because it's required and because it offers the best hope, and pretty soon you give it because that's who you've become. It is a horrible, horrible truth, because the price is so impossibly high, but those who do become far better and caring people. Not saying that whatever my family has benefited from the gift, we wouldn't trade in a heartbeat for a different outcome. But as Kim said, "this is our life," and we love and embrace it this way.

I, too have walked down that path. Thank you for explaining the love, the joy, the fear and sorrow so eloquently.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I can only imagine how difficult this situation is for everyone involved. My wife and I are waiting impatiently for our 1st grandchild in a little over a month. We’re incredibly thankful that both mother and child are healthy and doing well.

We walk the same road. My wife and I are waiting and praying for our 2nd granddaughter in about a month. So far, so good for our little dear one. Congrats in advance as your family grows.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
+1

I had a special needs brother who just passed away earlier this year, and Kim's affirmation of love rings near and true.

It becomes a defining and transformative element of who you are, and it forces everyone around the child to be a better version of themselves. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I had a special needs brother who just passed away earlier this year, and Kim's affirmation of love rings near and true.

It becomes a defining and transformative element of who you are, and it forces everyone around the child to be a better version of themselves. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

My deepest sympathy for your loss. I hope that your sorrow fades and is replaced only by treasured memories.

Reaction Score
I feel doubly sad for her. Her situation is terribly difficult. While I'm sure it is nice having a lot of support, it also has to be very hard to have this discussed so publicly. It makes it harder to get through when you can't escape it even for a little while. My prayers to the entire Mulkey family. I hope whatever the outcome, the press has the sense to give them space.

Last edited:

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
WACO, Texas (KWTX) Lady Bears head coach Kim Mulkey didn't make the trip with her team to California Friday to play UCLA after the death of her unborn granddaughter, Scout Marie Fuller.

The stillborn infant was delivered early Friday morning after doctors were unable to detect a heartbeat during a weekly checkup on Thursday.

The infant, the first child of Mulkey's daughter, Makenzie Fuller, a former Lady Bears player who's now a member of her mother's staff, and her husband, Clay, a former standout on the Baylor football team, faced stiff odds.

She was missing the right side of her heart and was believed to have Turner's syndrome, a rare condition in which a female is born with just one X chromosome, which can cause physical and learning disabilities.

Associate Head Coach Bill Brock will be courtside when the No. 3 Lady Bears face No. 8 UCLA Saturday afternoon.

He said the team will take to the court in honor of their head coach's first granddaughter.

Brock said Mulkey informed the team of the loss before practice on Thursday.

"Makenzie and Clay have talked to our team about the possibility that they might lose their child. So when it happened it wasn't a total shock, but obviously when she made the announcement our girls took it really hard. We're a family," he said.

Brock said the infant's death may lead to heightened awareness to conditions not often talked about.

"I think baby Scout has done a tremendous thing of maybe people aware of these conditions," Brock said.

"And I have no doubt that she's going to be looking over us and flying to UCLA and back with us. "

Earlier this week, Mulkey and her daughter turned to social media to ask for prayers for the unborn infant.

"We are overjoyed to share our excitement as we add a little one to our family. She has already brought an unimaginable amount of love, strength, and faith into our lives. At the same time, we are saddened to say that our daughter is struggling and fighting for her life every day," Makenzie posted.

Mulkey also asked fans for prayers following Makenzie's announcement.

"It's times like this that you remember that God is running the show, especially when it comes to birth and death," Mulkey wrote.

"We will be accepting of what God's plan is for Scout. This is our life and regardless of what the future holds, Scout will always be my first grandchild."

Reaction Score
The loss of a child--even a child facing such long odds if born alive--has to be devastating. A wise friend once told me that suffering grief is like walking along the shore: sometimes a strong wave washes over you, sometimes a weak one, and you can never predict when either will come. They will grieve in big ways and small their entire lives. I am so very, very sorry for them. I am not a religious person, but I sense they are, and I hope they find strength in their faith.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom