Comparison of WBB Coaching Compensation Minus One | The Boneyard

Comparison of WBB Coaching Compensation Minus One

Reaction Score
Fascinating. Especially the final data--cost/win. Everyone knows that Vivian is in trouble anyway, but when you look at Rutgers's cost/win, wow. BTW, I'd imagine that Geno's number is around $60,000 + /win.

best deal? Roy Williams, for sure, far and away, though Bo Ryan wasn't bad either (assuming that's his number instead of Greg Gard's, and even so...good deal.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
College sports is big business, plain and simple, and womens' sports just aren't a big piece of the pie.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
College sports is big business, plain and simple, and women's sports just aren't a big piece of the pie.

You're right RMB. WCBB has never been more popular than it is today. Yet it's still considered a "Red headed stepchild" when compared to men's sports. The overall interest by most male sports fans is just not there.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Fascinating. Especially the final data--cost/win. Everyone knows that Vivian is in trouble anyway, but when you look at Rutgers's cost/win, wow. BTW, I'd imagine that Geno's number is around $60,000 + /win.

best deal? Roy Williams, for sure, far and away, though Bo Ryan wasn't bad either (assuming that's his number instead of Greg Gard's, and even so...good deal.
Rutgers had a uniquely awful season - the worst of Viv's career with only 6 wins. She has had only 5 losing seasons in 46 years. Her last year at Iowa, her first 2 at Rutgers, and the 2001-2002 season when Cappie wasn't eligible and team chemistry was a train wreck.

In large part, this season will define Viv's career, either she will return to winning ways and get 1000 wins at Rutgers (I think a winning season will keep her there until she gets the 1000 regardless of how much success, although fans might not be happy). A losing season again and I'm not sure she will be back.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rutgers had a uniquely awful season - the worst of Viv's career with only 6 wins. She has had only 5 losing seasons in 46 years. Her last year at Iowa, her first 2 at Rutgers, and the 2001-2002 season when Cappie wasn't eligible and team chemistry was a train wreck.

In large part, this season will define Viv's career, either she will return to winning ways and get 1000 wins at Rutgers (I think a winning season will keep her there until she gets the 1000 regardless of how much success, although fans might not be happy). A losing season again and I'm not sure she will be back.
What's the outlook based on their talent and recruiting? I'd expect far more than 6 wins, but I have trouble seeing more than 12-15.

Reaction Score

Think of this: A person gets a job a 18,000 or 30000 depending one the story--stays at the same job--each year the school pays out more for that function than it takes in--after 30 years, doing the same job, is now making 2,000,000 per year--no other job I can think of has that kind of salary escalation. CEO's start high end higher, with fantastic buyout--even if they fail---no comparison.

Reaction Score
That (before tourney bonus) would put UConn at 4th highest cost per win, if they were included in the P5 analysis. Their $63,158 CPW is below only Wisconsin ($70,370), Nebraska ($82,143) and Rutgers ($116,667).
You shouldn't put a cost per win price on college games---or the Unions will be demanding that fee as player compensation per win--
i suppose if one gets paid to lose, they should get paid to win (kidding)

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
People like to pick on WCBB, yet; on average only 20 colleges/universities a year (out of the thousands in the US with athletic departments) actually turn a profit as a whole, at least based on the numbers most recently published between 2010 & 2016. I find it short sighted and kind of amateur of journalists to keep writing the same story without including the fact that 65%+ of men's basketball teams don't make money either.

Everyone knows football pays the bills and at some universities MCBB can be counted on regularly. Why focus so much on WCBB and it's inability to turn a profit regularly? Most schools also have swimming, gymnastics, lacrosse, baseball, softball, wrestling and plenty of other sports that aren't expected to and never will turn a profit why not include them in the conversation? I just find it real odd that that same story keeps being written. If there is one thing you can count on with WCBB news.... it is about as lazy as you can get.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The overall interest by most male sports fans is just not there.

Not sure that's true. I'm pretty sure the majority of WBB fans are men. Women fans is where the growth potential is.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
What's the outlook based on their talent and recruiting? I'd expect far more than 6 wins, but I have trouble seeing more than 12-15.
It is going to depend on a lot of factors, most of which I know nothing about. They include:
- Tyler's health, she's back, but don't know how her health is (actually, have no idea what caused her to sit out a year, they kept it private
- The recruits, whose identities are a bit vague, at least to me. They do reportedly exist, and none of them are "blue-chippers" I gather, but they are prospects.
- The transfers that sat out last year.
- Attitudes of the returning players. I think chemistry has been part of the Rutgers issues over the last several years, the lack of talent last year just magnified it all.
- Her out of conference schedule.

I think that the 12 - 15 wins is probable, a winning (slightly) record possible and I think making the NCAA's is at least remotely possible, but not likely.
-

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not sure that's true. I'm pretty sure the majority of WBB fans are men. Women fans is where the growth potential is.
It's not the portion of WBB fans that are men, it's the portion of male sports fans that are WBB fans.

But agree, female fans of WBB should have more growth.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It's not the portion of WBB fans that are men, it's the portion of male sports fans that are WBB fans.

But agree, female fans of WBB should have more growth.
You are very correct about male sports fans in general, you didn't specify an answer to the comment that the majority of WBB fans are men. Doubtful IMHO. Certainly not at Rutgers or NY Liberty games in the day.

I think the majority of fans are women and youth. Not the college aged and not (all in all) a lot of middle aged males. A decided number (but by no means a majority) of the women's fans at RU and in NY were gay, more so in the pro-crowd which was also the apparent case in Phoenix. Plenty of couples, with it varying whether it was the woman or man that was the original fan of the sport. A nice selection of Alumni, at least at Rutgers and Arizona.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
You are very correct about male sports fans in general, you didn't specify an answer to the comment that the majority of WBB fans are men. Doubtful IMHO. Certainly not at Rutgers or NY Liberty games in the day.

I think the majority of fans are women and youth. Not the college aged and not (all in all) a lot of middle aged males. A decided number (but by no means a majority) of the women's fans at RU and in NY were gay, more so in the pro-crowd which was also the apparent case in Phoenix. Plenty of couples, with it varying whether it was the woman or man that was the original fan of the sport. A nice selection of Alumni, at least at Rutgers and Arizona.

Back in the first few seasons of the WNBA when the games were well attended, you could walk right in to the men's room, no lines. The women's rooms would have lines circling halfway around the entire concourse. I think that tells you all you need to know about the relative percentages of men vs. women attending WNBA games. I'd have to guess it was anywhere from 5 to as many as 10 to 1 in favor of women.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wasn't my point. Was trying to explain that is irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Back in the first few seasons of the WNBA when the games were well attended, you could walk right in to the men's room, no lines. The women's rooms would have lines circling halfway around the entire concourse. I think that tells you all you need to know about the relative percentages of men vs. women attending WNBA games. I'd have to guess it was anywhere from 5 to as many as 10 to 1 in favor of women.
Hard to judge from this, as plumbing differences between men & women dictate much longer facility usage times for women. Also, I'll bet there are many more "decanting ports" is the men's room. Trying to judge number of fans from line length is a 'waste' of time because of these variables. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom