Comparing two player losses | The Boneyard

Comparing two player losses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To a degree, we already know the answer. UConn has survived the (temporary) loss of their All-American, Mosqueda-Lewis, quite well. Notre Dame is reeling from the loss of Achonwa and the feeling is that they won't survive the blow. But why?

Starting the season, Lewis was probably a more valuable player. She was an AP 1st Team choice in the preseason. In 2013 Kaleena was AP 2nd Team and 1st Team on WCBA/State Farm. While Natalie was 3rd Team AP this year, she was only listed as honorable mention on AP and State Farm in 2013.

Everybody and anybody knew UConn's Achilles heel was a short bench. The Irish was lauded for their deep bench. Their coach called their bench the difference maker. Not only was UConn's bench situation made worse when Kaleena went down, they had to make do without their 6th man as Tuck was forced to redshirt.

Without Lewis and Tuck (and, for all intents and purposes, a still recovering Banks) the Huskies had four days to prepare for and dispatch Final Four Maryland and two more to deal with Sweet Sixteen Penn State -- at their opponents' gyms. Notre Dame has six days and a difference maker bench to get ready for those same Terrapins and two more for the championship game should they get there.

Is it that ND was always a step behind UConn this year and everybody got caught up in a bogus "the Irish own the Huskies" debate from past seasons, and the delightful notion of two undefeateds squaring off in the championship this year? Or does ND still have a lot of life left?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
This brings to mind a different sort of question I've had. Wasn't Thomas hurt in some way the first time Notre Dame played them? Or was she hurt for some other team like Duke? In any case they only beat Maryland by four points. Home court, yes, but from last night I'm guessing that does not matter that much to Maryland. Whether or not Thomas was hurt in their first meeting we know for sure that Achonwa is out now. I'm thinking Maryland has the upper hand and Notre Dame will need a "lot of life left" just to get a win there.

Reaction Score
This brings to mind a different sort of question I've had. Wasn't Thomas hurt in some way the first time Notre Dame played them? Or was she hurt for some other team like Duke? In any case they only beat Maryland by four points. Home court, yes, but from last night I'm guessing that does not matter that much to Maryland. Whether or not Thomas was hurt in their first meeting we know for sure that Achonwa is out now. I'm thinking Maryland has the upper hand and Notre Dame will need a "lot of life left" just to get a win there.

Thomas scored 29 points, had 12 boards and 5 assists against ND the first go round. If she was hurt, it sure didn't show. Game was at College Park for what that's worth.

Achonwa did not have a good game, with 7 points, 3 boards and 1 assist. Loyd put up 31 and McBride had 20.

Last edited:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I don't believe that Thomas was injured, but Loyd missed the preceding game for Notre Dame with a knee injury, so maybe you're thinking of that. Loyd injured her knee against Tennessee, missed the following game against Miami, but then had a great game vs. Maryland.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the first difference in time of year - K and Morgan went out after game two of the season and those games were all played in the first month. So ... Uconn was still working through their line-up and figuring things out and so were the teams they played. And Uconn still had two AAs and two future AAs starting. And the replacement for the starter KML were on the bench in Banks, Chong, and Stokes.
ND just lost their center at the end of a very good season and while they have a deep bench, it is strong only in wing/guard players and the height they do have is not tested for this kind of environment. Reimer may surprise everyone, but ... And the timing is such that the next two games are against very good teams that are playing their best basketball of the year. AND the ND offense and defense rotates around Natalie much like Uconn rotates around Stef. KML great player that she is does not occupy that central theme within the Uconn system.
Natalie also missed the first two games of the season I think and ND had no problem, but those were easy games with no pressure.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Is it that ND was always a step behind UConn this year and everybody got caught up in a bogus "the Irish own the Huskies" debate from past seasons, and the delightful notion of two undefeateds squaring off in the championship this year? Or does ND still have a lot of life left?

To me, this season, its just simple arithmetic.
UConn has 5 all-star starters, ND has 3, with one now injured and most likely hors de combat.

If you want to do a little handicapping, let's say Bria is at 75% health and Breanna is in a slump: say 75% as well

That still makes 4.5 all-stars to 2.

We should win comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member