Comparing the Huskies’ championship “droughts” | The Boneyard

Comparing the Huskies’ championship “droughts”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

UConn WBB Weekly: Comparing the Huskies’ championship “droughts”​

This isn’t the first time UConn has gone a handful of years without winning a national title.

By Daniel Connolly May 20, 2021, 2:00pm EDT

When Arizona stunned UConn in the Final Four, it marked the fifth consecutive season that the Huskies went home without a national title. That’s now UConn’s longest stretch without winning it all since it captured its first championship in 1995. The only other times the Huskies went more than two years without winning it all were from 1995-1999 and again from 2004-2008.

Tip in - "She hates the spotlight" : 5 things to know about Azzi Fudd.

Her celebrity will only grow at UConn. The Huskies are always the center of the conversation, and that doesn’t figure to change anytime soon.
What always impresses those in Fudd’s circle is how well she’s dealt with the attention, unwanted as it may be in some instances. According to her father, she “hates the spotlight.” :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are too many good players and teams now for UConn to dominate the way it did just five years ago. Geno will be lucky if he can win one more before retirement.

Reaction Score
Uconn will be in the hunt each season but won't be the favorites which will make it interesting for sure. The sad part is when Geno leaves they won't be in the hunt....:(

Carnac

Reaction Score
Uconn will be in the hunt each season but won't be the favorites which will make it interesting for sure. The sad part is when Geno leaves they won't be in the hunt....:(
As much as UConn fans don't want to (refuse) admit the inevitable, I think you're right. UConn women's basketball simply won't be the same after he retires, regardless of who his replacement is. Two of the hardest things to do in organized sports is win back to back league championships, and follow a "legend" coach and have the same or better results than they did. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This isn’t the first time UConn has gone a handful of years without winning a national title.

When Arizona stunned UConn in the Final Four, it marked the fifth consecutive season that the Huskies went home without a national title. That’s now UConn’s longest stretch without winning it all since it captured its first championship in 1995. The only other times the Huskies went more than two years without winning it all were from 1995-1999 and again from 2004-2008.

Her celebrity will only grow at UConn. The Huskies are always the center of the conversation, and that doesn’t figure to change anytime soon.
What always impresses those in Fudd’s circle is how well she’s dealt with the attention, unwanted as it may be in some instances. According to her father, she “hates the spotlight.” :confused:

Recruiting class of 2022.​

Look at the clip below and tell me you wouldn't like to see Janiah Barker (ranked #2 in her class - #1 at her position) in a UConn uniform next year. She kinda reminds me of A'ja Wilson. She runs the floor extremely well. She's going to be a huge get for some program, I hope it us.

Janiah definitely won't be at Uconn next year. She was actively rooting against them on Instagram during the NCAA tourney and the day after UConn lost she posted a story saying something like "Its a good day when UConn loses"

Either she grew up not liking Uconn or she felt slighted if we didn't recruit her hard enough. Who knows. So dont count on it!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Recruiting class of 2022.​

Look at the clip below and tell me you wouldn't like to see Janiah Barker (ranked #2 in her class - #1 at her position) in a UConn uniform. She kinda reminds me of A'ja Wilson.

A couple of errors in this short blog....one is the lack of distinguishing between the 96 season (OT loss to Tennessee in Final Four) and 97 season (undefeated regular season, Ralph injury happened this year, not in 96. Ralph never played with Rizzotti) and the score of the 2007 LSU game is wrong.

This drought feels more promising for UCONN fans than 2005-2008 in that their teams have been much better than most of those squads. The only team that wasn't a title threat in the current drought was the 2020 squad. 2017/18 would have been all time great teams if they sealed the deal, 2019 was a title threat and 2021 was as well.

Both droughts transitioned into a few years of dominance after. I dont expect the same dominance to happen with other programs loading up and more talent across the landscape of women's basketball despite the fact that UCONN continues to consistently haul in the very best players year in year out. I think it'd be a big disappointment if UCONN doesnt win at least one title in the next two years before Paige is eligible for the WNBA but I dont see UCONN having a death grip on its competition like we saw for most of the past decade.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Janiah definitely won't be at Uconn next year. She was actively rooting against them on Instagram during the NCAA tourney and the day after UConn lost she posted a story saying something like "Its a good day when UConn loses"

Either she grew up not liking Uconn or she felt slighted if we didn't recruit her hard enough. Who knows. So dont count on it!
Humph.......didn't know that. I've read other BY'ers singing her praises. I don't follow the recruiting trail as closely as others. If that's how she feels (I'm sure that didn't sit well with Geno), hence she's dead to him, and not a POI, and no offer is pending. Too bad. The two would have been good for each other. I can imagine what she's going to be like in 3 years.

It's NEVER a good day when UConn loses. :mad: Thanks Rings, fixed it.

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Before the Stewart years Duke often had more McD AAs on their squad, Tennessee still recruited at our level, Notre Dame seemed to have our number for awhile, Baylor experienced a Griner bounce in recruiting and we kept losing the sister battles to Stanford (Ogwumike and Samuelson).

Throughout this time a comment lament on the BY was that there were too many good players for UConn to dominate like they did with Taurasi. Then the Stewart class arrived. We may or may not have another run of 2-4 championships but, if we don’t, it will not be because there used to be not enough good players and teams but now there are.

Carnac

Reaction Score
A couple of errors in this short blog....one is the lack of distinguishing between the 96 season (OT loss to Tennessee in Final Four) and 97 season (undefeated regular season, Ralph injury happened this year, not in 96. Ralph never played with Rizzotti) and the score of the 2007 LSU game is wrong.

This drought feels more promising for UCONN fans than 2005-2008 in that their teams have been much better than most of those squads. The only team that wasn't a title threat in the current drought was the 2020 squad. 2017/18 would have been all time great teams if they sealed the deal, 2019 was a title threat and 2021 was as well.

Both droughts transitioned into a few years of dominance after. I dont expect the same dominance to happen with other programs loading up and more talent across the landscape of women's basketball despite the fact that UCONN continues to consistently haul in the very best players year in year out. I think it'd be a big disappointment if UCONN doesnt win at least one title in the next two years before Paige is eligible for the WNBA but I dont see UCONN having a death grip on its competition like we saw for most of the past decade.
It appears that Connolly needs to double check his notes and facts. No one likes to post a blog or a comment(s) (especially here in the yard, you WILL get called on it) that is factually incorrect. After all, he's getting paid to post his blogs. Thanks for not shooting at the messenger. ;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think fans in all sports place two much emphasis on the title game as the definition of a team. The fact is that the level of luck and chance and health often determine the actual title holder. Uconn with its continuing string of FF in this current run is unique and the drought is not the same as 1996-1999 or 2005-2008 where the team was not consistently in the FF. 2020 might be seen as lucky in that they would not been the favorite in that years E8 game had the tournament been played, but every other year they got 'unlucky' since their last title. The championship pedigree remains with this team in a way it did not during the earlier droughts.

Reaction Score
I think fans in all sports place two much emphasis on the title game as the definition of a team.
It’s not only the fans. All sports have teams that are built to win the championship. In WCB, the UCONN women’s team is one of them. Anything less is a failure. This doesn’t mean that this team didn’t do great things. And, we can all put our own definition on how we view the season. But, they were the number 1 or 2 rated team in the country and watched the championship game on TV.

Reaction Score
No one in women's college basketball is ever going to approach what Geno has done. However, Carla Berube or Shea Ralph have been on Geno's staff and know what it takes to reach that level. They may not reach it, but they will do their best to get there.

Reaction Score
The amazing thing from a recruiting standpoint is that prior to this streak, only two classes went without a championship since the first one, the years starting those four year stretches. The current stretch added Crystal and Megan's classes to that list, and of course Liv and Christyn would have to win this year or their class would join the list.

Reaction Score

Probably goes to LSU.

W

wolfe613

I've said it before the past few teams have not had a true leader or seniority like those dominant teams that kept winning, KLS is one of my fave players and is also near my area but I never felt she was the type of player to galvanize and rally the team and lead them again still not taking anything away from her amazing player. Paige last year was only a freshman felt unfair to have her lead the way but that's definitely what's missing. This year they have 3 players who are sr but there's even some doubt on 2 of them playing big minutes. Youth and inexperience will be the reason they don't win in the next few years not talent

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That late-90's drought was because big name players did not rise to the challenge. A bit like this current draught. Will Azzi get them over the top?

Reaction Score
Not everyone is going to like Uconn, think of is this way if they didn't hate us it would mean we we not good and must be doing some thing wrong. So, let there be haters!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom