Comparing the "Big 3" | The Boneyard

Comparing the "Big 3"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've noticed many like to compare current players with Stewie, Mo Jeff and Tuck. I was wondering who those 3 were compared to in their rookie seasons at Uconn and how long before they were given their own identities on the forum?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I've noticed many like to compare current players with Stewie, Mo Jeff and Tuck. I was wondering who those 3 were compared to in their rookie seasons at Uconn and how long before they were given their own identities on the forum?
I don't know, but also I don't think we had anything like Mo, Stewie and Morgan historically - The closest thing might be Sue and then Swin, Ashja and Tamika, but that's a group of 4.

Having said that, Stewie was always compared to Maya and Dee throughout her career - not because their games were similar, but the debate usually centered around who was the greatest all time. Stewie had the most NC's, Maya the most points, Dee - well, she was Dee. As for a direct player comparison, there was on one like Stewie. Megan Walker, on the other hand, is similar in size, body shape, and game to Maya so I imagine she will be compared throughout Megan's career.

Moriah is another player who we had no one like prior. Rita Williams might be the best comparison, but she only played at UCONN for 2 years and came to us via the JUCO route IIRC. Morgan's game was probably similar to Ashja Jones, but there were not a lot of comparisons made there either.

IMHO the reason why fans want to compare players in general is not to figure out who was better, but to figure out what to expect from current players or future players based on kids we had in the past. Butler will always be compared to Dolson. Dangerfield will always be compared to Moriah. IMHO Megan will always be compared to Maya. Napheesa will probably always be compared to Morgan. Lou probably to a morph of Stewie and Ann Strother.

How many times have you read something about Kyla or Molly being compared? Molly has been compared to Kelly Faris. Kyla to Sara Hammond from L'ville. I think it's just the nature of fan to compare...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Interesting point Erik.

From my perspective Pheesa doesn't much remind me of Morgan at all.
Pheesa has a real (classic) baseline jumper, that Morgan never had.
Seems quicker, more athletic, relies more on speed and guile to find a lane to the hoop ...Morgan rather, reminded me of the classic power forward.

And as I noted on a different thread Morgan's gyrations on her pivot foot that allowed her to get easy buckets against bigger defending players was unique and just now being occasionally seen in moves by Gabby and Nat, less so Pheesa.
A skill being taught at UConn 101?

With regard Ms. D: her passing reminds me more of Pete Maravich,: her teammates still often look surprised as the ball whizzes by. Moriah was never that type of a passer. I remember an interview after she broke the assists record. She noted that she was fortunate that she had teammates who put the ball in the hoop after she passed it to them. Surely helped pile up the assists in a more traditional setting.

They both hustle down the court at a speed to discourage opponents, much as Bob Cousy used to do, but I think the similarities end there...Of course they're both points, tenny-tiny and such...but I think their different approaches and skill-sets will set them apart.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
With regard Ms. D: her passing reminds me more of Pete Maravich,: her teammates still often look surprised as the ball whizzes by. Moriah was never that type of a passer. I remember an interview after she broke the assists record. She noted that she was fortunate that she had teammates who put the ball in the hoop after she passed it to them. Surely helped pile up the assists in a more traditional setting.

They both hustle down the court at a speed to discourage opponents, much as Bob Cousy used to do, but I think the similarities end there...Of course they're both points, tenny-tiny and such...but I think their different approaches and skill-sets will set them apart.
I will join with you on Moriah as a passer. I always felt that that was the "least good" part of her game. While she was super at virtually every other aspect of the game, she was only "really, really good" at passing.

A lot of comparisons were made in the past between Moriah and Sue. I think creative passing is one area where Sue was the better of the two.

Reaction Score
I don't know, but also I don't think we had anything like Mo, Stewie and Morgan historically - The closest thing might be Sue and then Swin, Ashja and Tamika, but that's a group of 4.

Having said that, Stewie was always compared to Maya and Dee throughout her career - not because their games were similar, but the debate usually centered around who was the greatest all time. Stewie had the most NC's, Maya the most points, Dee - well, she was Dee. As for a direct player comparison, there was on one like Stewie. Megan Walker, on the other hand, is similar in size, body shape, and game to Maya so I imagine she will be compared throughout Megan's career.

Moriah is another player who we had no one like prior. Rita Williams might be the best comparison, but she only played at UCONN for 2 years and came to us via the JUCO route IIRC. Morgan's game was probably similar to Ashja Jones, but there were not a lot of comparisons made there either.

IMHO the reason why fans want to compare players in general is not to figure out who was better, but to figure out what to expect from current players or future players based on kids we had in the past. Butler will always be compared to Dolson. Dangerfield will always be compared to Moriah. IMHO Megan will always be compared to Maya. Napheesa will probably always be compared to Morgan. Lou probably to a morph of Stewie and Ann Strother.

How many times have you read something about Kyla or Molly being compared? Molly has been compared to Kelly Faris. Kyla to Sara Hammond from L'ville. I think it's just the nature of fan to compare...

Interesting comparison with Ashja Jones for Morgan. To me she was more of a Shea Ralph without the brashness. If you recall Shea--she had no fear of anything anyone--she'd go in among the trees and bring out a ball. She attacked and scored from all over the place. And her defense was such if she didn't beat you --she'd kill ya. We have forgotten how tough, great, demanding player Shea Ralph was. In a 20 point 1 on 1 between Ashja Jones and Shea Ralph--my money's on Shea.

In the past there was no one to compare Stewie to or Moriah either--they were the once in a life time player everyone dreams about and for Geno to have 3---his mother prayers must have been answered 3 times at once--
If my expectations are correct---we have at least one maybe 2 and possible 3 --once in a life time players on the team or coming in--we need to send a thank you to Geno's mother.
Katie Lou is nothing like Ann Strother---Stewie is without comparison--Napheesa is only partly comparable with Morgan --Butler-s only comparison to Dolson is body size --. I like Ann Strothers so I won't do the point by point comparison--Katie is better all around player and scorer. If you take Stewies all around game--no one compares--certainly no one at Uconn
Notice I didn't make the "obvious" comparison--because there is no comparison YET.
You are soo right----Fans Compare--rightly or wrongly (either of which is a personal judgement)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Interesting comparison with Ashja Jones for Morgan. To me she was more of a Shea Ralph without the brashness. If you recall Shea--she had no fear of anything anyone--she'd go in among the trees and bring out a ball. She attacked and scored from all over the place. And her defense was such if she didn't beat you --she'd kill ya. We have forgotten how tough, great, demanding player Shea Ralph was. In a 20 point 1 on 1 between Ashja Jones and Shea Ralph--my money's on Shea.
Yup. Shea is one of the great BadAsses in program history.

Reaction Score
Yup. Shea is one of the great BadAsses in program history.
Wasn't she the one that put the BAD in the phrase??? She was fun to watch--remember the Hampton game???

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Wasn't she the one that put the BAD in the phrase??? She was fun to watch--remember the Hampton game???
No, I'm afraid not. Didn't see UConn games back then. Before my time, you might say.

Reaction Score

How many times have you read something about Kyla or Molly being compared? Molly has been compared to Kelly Faris. Kyla to Sara Hammond from L'ville. I think it's just the nature of fan to compare...[/QUOTE\

America===is a monument to the safety with which error of opinion may be tolerated when reason is left free to combat it----Thomas Jefferson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom