Comparing Mo vs Danger | The Boneyard

Comparing Mo vs Danger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unless you are going to compare freshman Mo to freshman Danger please stop comparing the two. Yes, Mo is/was a great player but you can't compare until Danger is a senior. Danger has a lot more weight on her shoulders as a freshman than Mo did. And actually she is further along than Mo as freshmans.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Unless you are going to compare freshman Mo to freshman Danger please stop comparing the two. Yes, Mo is/was a great player but you can't compare until Danger is a senior. Danger has a lot more weight on her shoulders as a freshman than Mo did. And actually she is further along than Mo as freshmans.
So we can't compare Mo to Crystal but you can? "She is further along than Mo as freshmans".
Glad we had this talk.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I do not think we have been doing this. We continue to make positive comparisons to the Freshman Moriah but more recently, we have been more interested in comparing her recent play to the obvious potential she showed in the Baylor game. Maybe a little unfair but it is not malicious. We want her to succeed and thrive for her benefit as well as ours. Of course, we as BY's were quite
nervous for a while that Crystal seemed to be our best (and only?) option but the recent steady and clutch play of Soniya will undoubtedly release some of the pressure and the UConn universe can return to its optimal state. Leadership from our senior PG and an extremely talented but inconsistent freshman PG being given the chance to grow her game and reach her potential at a steady rate just in time for the tournament.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think you missed this part "Unless you are going to compare freshman Mo to freshman Danger". Glad we had this talk.
And perhaps you missed this "but you can't compare until Danger is a senior". Always glad when we talk, better when we communicate though.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
You guys are funny. How about we just leave it at: We were damn lucky to have gotten Mo and damn lucky the good Lord allows us the heath and means to watch her play for 4 years. We are also damn lucky to have gotten Crystal Dangerfield and we will be damn lucky if the good Lord allows us the continued health and means to watch her play for the next four years.

Reaction Score
I think a more interesting perspective is to compare the play of Crystal to that of Slocum, the freshman guard for Maryland. Crystal was the top rated point guard in the country, as a HS senior. I don't know how high Slocum was rated, but she looked devastating in the UCONN game, and no one could shut her down. If you permit a divergence, Moriah shut down everyone. I do think Crystal will emerge as a star. We have seen flashes, including her 3 point range in the Baylor game. She already does many things well. She simply isn't taking over games quite yet.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You guys are funny. How about we just leave it at: We were damn lucky to have gotten Mo and damn lucky the good Lord allows us the heath and means to watch her play for 4 years. We are also damn lucky to have gotten Crystal Dangerfield and we will be damn lucky if the good Lord allows us the continued health and means to watch her play for the next four years.
331021200_640.jpg

Reaction Score
I think a more interesting perspective is to compare the play of Crystal to that of Slocum, the freshman guard for Maryland. Crystal was the top rated point guard in the country, as a HS senior. I don't know how high Slocum was rated, but she looked devastating in the UCONN game, and no one could shut her down. If you permit a divergence, Moriah shut down everyone. I do think Crystal will emerge as a star. We have seen flashes, including her 3 point range in the Baylor game. She already does many things well. She simply isn't taking over games quite yet.
Moriah shut down everyone
Not during her first 12 games, she didn't! And she had more defensive help behind her in Stewie and Tuck as shut-down players. Wait until next year with everyone back plus AZ and Touly protecting underneath.

[Crystal] simply isn't taking over games quite yet.
This was Slocum's "in the zone" game (huge moment playing before a sell-out home crowd), just like Baylor's was Crystal's (ditto moment, venue, and crowd). Nothing over the past several games indicated that Slocum would have that sort of night, though it's now easy to imagine that there will be many more in the future. But you could have said the same of Lou last year, that she wasn't taking over games yet. It wasn't her role then to do that, because there were other, more alpha, players. Ditto this year, and last night, for Crystal.

Over the next 4 years, there will be plenty of time to compare the two, but let's remember that Crystal plays under a very different coaching system and there are very different expectations of Crystal right now and throughout the next 4 years. Amazing as it seems, I actually believe that UConn 2017-2020 may be even more talented (at least the talent will run more deeply) than the years of the "big 3" and Crystal's role (as that of every player) will be subordinated accordingly.

The essential point is: UConn is built on a cohesive team concept and it wins or loses as a team. So, in the end, we ask one overriding question: what was the final score of the MD-UConn game?

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Dangerfield is a freshman PG playing for an extremely demanding coaching staff against a daunting OOC schedule of really good teams. She had one brilliant game, a few good games, and as with all freshman a bunch of 'other' games. She is doing fine, has made a few short visits to the dog house as almost ever Uconn freshman does, and is still focused on the task at hand. She has had a tougher schedule than most freshman have so there have been few opportunities to allow her to play through her mistakes (something that doesn't happen a lot at Uconn anyway - the coaching believe in practicing through the mistakes and playing with perfection.) If you want a good comparison - think of the Baylor game as Dangerfield's equivalent of Stewart's first ten game stretch at Uconn - a premature arrival followed by a period of being lost in the wilderness.

You can compare to Slocum who is playing for a very different coaching staff - lots of positive reinforcement from the coaching staff and some glorious personal stats, but ... how come Jones got only 7 shots in 28 minutes of playing time with a huge mismatch? Maybe the PG needs a little negative feedback.

Reaction Score
Let's start by saying MD fans have no regrets about having Slocum on their team. They should be ecstatic and rightfully so. As a UConn fan, I am also ecstatic about CD. In fact, again as a UConn fan, I believe she is better than Slocum. In my limited and laymen view, I think that CD's "A" game is better than Slocum's "A" game. The difference is that Slocum brings it every time she steps on the floor. CD is more cerebral while Slocum is more brash. It's OK though, that is why we have coaches. Finally, we need to refrain from drawing too much conclusion from just one game. For those that do want to compare take a look at the Box Score for the 1st and 2nd half for Slocum (and MD in general). Slocum was 2-7 for 4pts, 4 assists and 3 turnovers in the first half, in 20 minutes. CD played 9 minutes and had 2 pts and 2 assists. CD only played 4 minutes in the second half, so hard to gauge anything (except Slocum was super good - in the 2nd half). But comparing "numbers" is simply missing what these players bring to their team. Bottom line, is they have a good one and UConn has a good one.

Reaction Score
Sorry Crystal played around 13 minutes in the MD game where Destiny played the entire game. Destiny is allowed to do what she does best. Crystal is learning how to play UConn basketball. No real apples to apples comparison.

Reaction Score
And perhaps you missed this "but you can't compare until Danger is a senior". Always glad when we talk, better when we communicate though.
Curious conversation. Sports fans tend to project development. Without comparisons, 80% of the messages in this blog have no value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom