Committee on Institutional Cooperation changes name to Big Ten Academic Alliance | The Boneyard

Committee on Institutional Cooperation changes name to Big Ten Academic Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Big Ten's Academic Division Changes Name | Inside Higher Ed

Also, the University of Chicago is no longer an official member, but will continue collaborating with the B1G in programs related to library services, IT, language instruction and other areas.

upload_2016-6-30_10-39-50.png

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Are Northwestern and Purdue suddenly feeling uncomfortable?

Is the B1G looking to make room for more big publics?

Dude at 11.

Reaction Score
Ok, here is your blockbuster realignment scenario concerning the University of Chicago.........

On the Big Ten Board on Scout.com, it was mentioned that the University of Chicago threatened to leave the CIC if a non-AAU member school were added to the consortium in the future.

If the B1G kicked out the University of Chicago from the consortium, does this mean its likely a non AAU school or schools will be joining at some point?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yeah whatever that has nothing to do with us. Don't care if it's conference realignment. Post it on a different conference realignment board. You've been told time and time again these threads are not welcome here so please stop.

Reaction Score
Yeah whatever that has nothing to do with us. Don't care if it's conference realignment. Post it on a different conference realignment board. You've been told time and time again these threads are not welcome here so please stop.

And the threads about B1G tv negotiations, the PAC 12 Commissioner, etc that I didn't post do have something to do with UConn?

Reaction Score
I'm fine with the posts. I'd appreciate more uconn centric posts, but so be it.
It's been crickets over here and he has an interesting point about aau.

Why aren't these threads welcome out of curiosity?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Welp, time to blow the dust off of...

The Seven Stages of Conference Realignment

1. SHOCK & DENIAL-
You will probably react to learning that the "Big 12" is no longer expanding with numbed disbelief. You may deny the reality of the loss at some level, in order to avoid the pain. Belief in a secret plan that will bring UConn to the Big 10 is typical in this stage. This may last for weeks.

2. PAIN & GUILT-
As the shock wears off, it is replaced with the suffering of unbelievable pain. Although excruciating and almost unbearable, it is important that you experience the pain fully, college sport scheduling seems chaotic and scary during this phase. Expect very little productivity during this stage as reading the Boneyard replaces normal functions such as work, talking with your spouse and bathing.

3. ANGER & BARGAINING-
Frustration gives way to anger, and you may lash out and lay blame for the lack of a decent conference on someone else. Many choose Warde Manual or Jeff Hathaway, others "UConn's friend Mark Emmert." This is a time for the release of bottled up emotion. You may rail against fate, questioning "Why UConn ?" You may also try to bargain in vain with the powers that be for a way out of your despair ("I will not complain about Syracuse’s cupcake basketball schedule anymore, if you will just get us admission to the AAU.")

4. "DEPRESSION", REFLECTION, LONELINESS-
Just when your friends may think you should be getting on with your life, a long period of sad reflection will likely overtake you. During this time, you finally realize the true magnitude of your loss, and it depresses you. You may isolate yourself on purpose, and talk of “going independent in football” becomes the norm.

5. THE UPWARD TURN-
As you start to adjust to life without a meaningful conference affiliation, your life becomes a little calmer and more organized. Your physical symptoms lessen, and your "depression" begins to lift slightly. You actually start working at work again and your boss decides that he doesn’t need to fire you or upgrade the internet firewall.

6. RECONSTRUCTION & WORKING THROUGH-
As you become more functional, your mind starts working again, and you will find yourself seeking realistic solutions to problems posed by life without a decent conference. You will start to work on practical and financial problems and reconstructing your program, such as stadium expansion and building a new hockey barn or baseball or soccer stadium.

7. ACCEPTANCE & HOPE-
During this, the last of the seven stages of conference realignment, you learn to accept and deal with the reality of your situation. Acceptance does not necessarily mean instant happiness. Given the pain and turmoil you have experienced, you can never return to the carefree, untroubled YOU that existed before this tragedy. But you will find a way forward, unfortunately that may involve trips to Tulsa, Okahoma and Greenville, North Carolina, but you will survive.​

I think we're at like a 3/4.

Reaction Score
Ok, here is your blockbuster realignment scenario concerning the University of Chicago....

On the Big Ten Board on Scout.com, it was mentioned that the University of Chicago threatened to leave the CIC if a non-AAU member school were added to the consortium in the future.

If the B1G kicked out the University of Chicago from the consortium, does this mean its likely a non AAU school or schools will be joining at some point?

I'm not sure they understand what you're talking about. However, kicking out the university of Chicago is like kicking out MIT. There are some things that just shouldn't be done.

From what I'm reading here, I think uconn wouldnt want to join the B1G but the ACC.

Reaction Score
Are Northwestern and Purdue suddenly feeling uncomfortable?

Purdue's president is credited with founding the athletic conference, so I think they will forever get a pass.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'm not sure they understand what you're talking about. However, kicking out the university of Chicago is like kicking out MIT. There are some things that just shouldn't be done.

From what I'm reading here, I think uconn wouldnt want to join the B1G but the ACC.
Ohhhhhh when you put it that way!

Reaction Score

Now I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about. ETA. Never Mind, I get it now...

Chicago probably significantly limited intellectual property or student transfer requests they would take (in or out) from other institutions. So, like Johns Hopkins probably determined, "membership" had limited advantages in that regard.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure extirpating Uchicago from the CIC serves any purpose. This is one of the top schools in the nation let alone the world. I think this is a huge mistake.

Reaction Score
Ok, so I had to look that up. :) We're not "rooting out and destroying them"; they are still cooperating in some capacity.

To the OP's point, if Chicago was going to bolt with the addition of a non-AAU school, this is a mutual decision.

Reaction Score
Story from University of Illinois is Chicago is staying in the group but don't know how to characterize them since they are no longer in the BIG........so maybe not the bolt everyone is thinking

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't understand the irrational reaction to this thread either. Unlike the B12, the B1G makes moves considering all criteria - including academics and making money. We would all cut off a limb to get UConn into the B1G so any bit of news of B1G reshuffling, no matter how small, is of interest to any UConn CR fan.

Reaction Score
Speaking of B1G shuffling, today is July 1, 2016, which means Johns Hopkins Women's Lacrosse is now officially a sport affiliate member of the B1G, the second affiliate member of the B1G.

Reaction Score
Name Change - FAQ

Q. How will this affect the University of Chicago?

A. The University of Chicago has been an important partner to us for many decades. Although the University of Chicago will no longer be a formal member, our partnership will continue. We are working out the specifics around that in the coming weeks and months.

An article that has more details on the switch: CIC drops name to raise visibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom