Comment on Breanna Stewart | The Boneyard

Comment on Breanna Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Count Dr. Phillips coach Anthony Jones among the believers, rating her ahead of Florida high school All-Americans Alexis Prince, bound for Baylor, and Ronni Williams.
“Her presence on the court is just phenomenal. Nothing we could do,” Jones said. “With her presence, her role-players were able to stretch out their zone and it affected our offense. You go inside, you are running right into her. They are hard to score against.
“I told my players that this is probably one of the most disciplined teams that we will ever face. There is no answer for that girl. She is that good. We lost to a better team. She’s a great outside shooter. She has nice touch. No flaw in her game. If I have to pull out a flaw, maybe that is she goes too hard.”
Dr. Phillips put bodies on Stewart every time she entered the low post, knocking her down on drives to the basket several times. Stewart hit her head on the floor after one drive, but she did not leave the game and said later she did not even have a headache.
“I have a hard head, I guess,” she said.

If you are going to have a fault, probably not a bad one to have.

Reaction Score
Count Dr. Phillips coach Anthony Jones among the believers, rating her ahead of Florida high school All-Americans Alexis Prince, bound for Baylor, and Ronni Williams.

“Her presence on the court is just phenomenal. Nothing we could do,” Jones said. “With her presence, her role-players were able to stretch out their zone and it affected our offense. You go inside, you are running right into her. They are hard to score against.

“I told my players that this is probably one of the most disciplined teams that we will ever face. There is no answer for that girl. She is that good. We lost to a better team. She’s a great outside shooter. She has nice touch. No flaw in her game. If I have to pull out a flaw, maybe that is she goes too hard.”

Dr. Phillips put bodies on Stewart every time she entered the low post, knocking her down on drives to the basket several times. Stewart hit her head on the floor after one drive, but she did not leave the game and said later she did not even have a headache.

“I have a hard head, I guess,” she said.

If you are going to have a fault, probably not a bad one to have.

WOW!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She is head and shoulders better than anyone, Prince and Williams included--though our very own Morgan Tuck is also playing at a very high level.

The Dr. Phillips team is a top team that some thought would make it to the TOC finals.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm so glad she is coming to UCONN!!!!

We certainly got a special young lady!!!!

Reaction Score
She is head and shoulders better than anyone, Prince and Williams included--though our very own Morgan Tuck is also playing at a very high level.

The Dr. Phillips team is a top team that some thought would make it to the TOC finals.
Which one will we choose. Oh wait, we're getting them both!

Reaction Score
It's early yet to predict playing time for next year. Both may pick up their practice intensity over the next few months. Banks, it would appear, would have the better chance at playing time as there will be less depth at guard and she brings excellent speed and defensive skills. Stokes has a lot to offer. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
I'm a little concerned that Banks isn't getting any quality time lately. Has she lost her intensity in practise?
Stokes; seems there's talent there; is she tough enough?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I'm a little concerned that Banks isn't getting any quality time lately. Has she lost her intensity in practise?

Most freshmen need time to learn and develop. Kinda like the rest of us in life.

Reaction Score
Banks and Stokes will both learn to practice hard and get quality minutes in games. Yes, both have talent so that isn't the problem.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Do you spend a lot of time at the soda fountains?

Not sure what you mean by that Sonny, but my point is that if you are going to call out the character of players(e.g. “tough”), then at least give them a semester of college to gain experience before that judgment is made.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Banks and Stokes will both learn to practice hard and get quality minutes in games. Yes, both have talent so that isn't the problem.

I was watching the 2000 Illinois-UConn game (thanks DaddyChoc!) and I think we should all calm down a bit about Banks...in that game Maria Conlon played only a few minutes and looked a bit lost. Of course, two years later she was the starting point guard on two NC teams. I don't know if that will happen for Banks, but who knows? Watching that game I would never have predicted Maria to make the impact she did. Banks has loads of talent, it takes time to develop in the system. We are spoiled because we get freshman like KML and Maya who are just college ready right when they arrive. Doesn't work that way for most frosh. I bet in the next few years we see her a lot. If she could become a lock-down defender like Faris that would be very helpful :)

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I was watching the 2000 Illinois-UConn game (thanks DaddyChoc!) and I think we should all calm down a bit about Banks...in that game Maria Conlon played only a few minutes and looked a bit lost. Of course, two years later she was the starting point guard on two NC teams. I don't know if that will happen for Banks, but who knows? Watching that game I would never have predicted Maria to make the impact she did. Banks has loads of talent, it takes time to develop in the system. We are spoiled because we get freshman like KML and Maya who are just college ready right when they arrive. Doesn't work that way for most frosh. I bet in the next few years we see her a lot. If she could become a lock-down defender like Faris that would be very helpful :)

"We are spoiled because we get freshman like KML and Maya who are just college ready right when they arrive. Doesn't work that way for most frosh"

Frankly, it amazes me that this point has to be made over and over again. Weren't most here at The BY young at one time?

HGN

Reaction Score
I hope Banks isnt getting discouraged by her lack of playing time. A young lady so talented could become discouraged and start doubted herself to the point of saying that she will not get PT no matter how hard she practices. I think Geno just wants to see consistent high effort each practice and each game.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
It's just tough to remember when we get such high-quality players year in and year out...some are ready right away, some are raw talent that need to be developed.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart will make the biggest impact in UConn history. With are current players and with the next couple of years classes coming in she will be off the charts great. Super Great. Her potential is unlimited and to think she will only get better. As good as Neka was last night Breanna could be that good next season and with our supporting cast around her....its just about over. She is at a whole different level and will have scorers and shooters around her. I cant even imagine KML and Breanna on the court together. WOW WOW WOW

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
It's also tough to know what "real" effort is on the college level. Stef said that last year, that going her hardest wasn't really her hardest. It just takes time for most players. She's only one semester in to her college experience, hopefully the light will come on for her. One thing that I think is great about Geno and CD is that they always let the players know where they stand. I'm sure she knows what she needs to do to get more playing time, it's just a matter of doing it.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Weren't most here at The BY young at one time?

Of course they were. It's just that it was so long ago they have forgotten what it was like....and I'm being serious...sort of....;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
@jaltavilla John Altavilla

Geno: "Banks and Stokes have ability to play here, but issue now is, we never know when they will just quit in practice." #UConnwomen
18 hours ago via TweetDeck

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
@jaltavilla John Altavilla

Geno: "Banks and Stokes have ability to play here, but issue now is, we never know when they will just quit in practice." #UConnwomen
18 hours ago via TweetDeck
Bingo, Nan, Geno tells them what he wants when he recruits them and tells them when they get here and keeps telling them for four years. What he wants is the commitment to play with maximum effort on every offensive and defensive possession.

Reaction Score
One thing to remember with freshmen:
some have never, ever been pushed. Their HS coaches kiss their butts, and most AAU teams are pretty loosey-goosey.

A player like Stokes, for example, played against maybe 3 good HS posts per year her entire career. Now, suddenly, EVERY GAME features at least a competitive post....and she's not "tall' any more.

Banks?? IMO has a better chance to be a big help than Stokes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One thing to remember with freshmen:
some have never, ever been pushed. Their HS coaches kiss their butts, and most AAU teams are pretty loosey-goosey.

A player like Stokes, for example, played against maybe 3 good HS posts per year her entire career. Now, suddenly, EVERY GAME features at least a competitive post....and she's not "tall' any more.

Banks?? IMO has a better chance to be a big help than Stokes.
Another tweet by the Hartford Courant writer said Geno mentioned both girls complaining of being tired during practices. That's not a good way to earn playing time. Defenders are bigger, faster, and more physical in the college game so they will tire a freshman out more quickly; if a kid can't make it through practice, how can Geno depend on her in a game?

Having said that, both Stokes and Banks have played well in spots. I thought both of them had some good moments against Stanford, for example. But as freshmen are prone to be, both are inconsistent. If they can push through the fatigue, Geno will live with their mistakes - for the most part - as long as the effort is there.

Reaction Score
Another tweet by the Hartford Courant writer said Geno mentioned both girls complaining of being tired during practices. That's not a good way to earn playing time. Defenders are bigger, faster, and more physical in the college game so they will tire a freshman out more quickly; if a kid can't make it through practice, how can Geno depend on her in a game?

Having said that, both Stokes and Banks have played well in spots. I thought both of them had some good moments against Stanford, for example. But as freshmen are prone to be, both are inconsistent. If they can push through the fatigue, Geno will live with their mistakes - for the most part - as long as the effort is there.
All true, plus IMO the hardest position to play well in as a freshman is low post. Even harder than point. The "why"
-older posts are stronger, having gone through the weight training
-older posts are meaner, dirtier, and know what cheap shots they can get away with
-refs tend to "break-in" young posts. Not fair, but true
-PG's are in the open floor, and are somewhat protected by refs
-many posts have never played against OTHER posts on a consistent basis

Reaction Score
Sheesh.........this was supposed to be a thread on Breanna Stewart!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom