Come on Evelyn.. | The Boneyard

Come on Evelyn..

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I watched a lot of video of Evelyn during her time playing at Murray State. This is a talented, well-rounded player. The player I saw today was tentative and not sure of where she was supposed to be. With the news of Camura's surgery, Evelyn, now more than ever, has to relax and let ability shine through. Even if she simplifies it and just rebounds and defends, she could provide valuable backup minutes for Olivia.

Adapting to the UConn way must be a difficult process.

Reaction Score
Her conditioning level is not yet there. For a fast-paced offense and continuous pressure defense, that will limit her minutes.

Reaction Score
I have to believe that going from one of the goto players on Murray State to being the 4th or 5th option on the floor has a lot to do with it, you don't really quite know what you are supposed to be doing. Just look at Lou and her first year with Chicago.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I have to believe that going from one of the goto players on Murray State to being the 4th or 5th option on the floor has a lot to do with it, you don't really quite know what you are supposed to be doing. Just look at Lou and her first year with Chicago.
That is my point. At Murray State she was the first option and the player other teams were scheming to stop. At UConn, she is going to get fairly wide open looks because opponents will be focusing on others. Geno brought her in to shoot those with confidence. I realize it is the first game but she is lighter and as said before, because of body shortage, very much needed.

Reaction Score
Even with the Geno scheme of things--if a player decides she is the go to player and has game to prove it--she'll get the ball. Geno loves kids that as they enter the game make a statement, a defensive stop, a rebound, a basket or 3. Tenative players oftentime get to sit. Lou was not 100 percent when she entered the PRO's she's not a prime example Any Uconn kid that wants lots of PT need to enter games to make a difference. Now, Geno hasn't said this in many years but back in the Rene or before time, he said it often. I doubt he changed his mind on that.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I watched a lot of video of Evelyn during her time playing at Murray State. This is a talented, well-rounded player. The player I saw today was tentative and not sure of where she was supposed to be. With the news of Camura's surgery, Evelyn, now more than ever, has to relax and let ability shine through. Even if she simplifies it and just rebounds and defends, she could provide valuable backup minutes for Olivia.

Adapting to the UConn way must be a difficult process.

Based on the news revealed over the weekend, I’d say it’s imperative that Evelyn reprise her play of a year ago. Being down to 9 players means the 4 bench players will have to step up and play a large role in any success UConn hopes to achieve this season. This Husky team has no place for cheerleaders. The starters can’t carry the team alone. Any success this team has will truly be a “team” effort.

I see no reason the reserves can’t step up. Griffin is 18, and the only one of the group with no prior experience at this level (Div1). Bent and Irwin are 22, Adebayo turns 23 next month. If not now, when? These 3 are seniors. Griffin will have to walk the same path Christyn Williams did last year: “learn as you go”, or as it’s better known, OJT. Williams did it, Griffin can do it. Freshmen have been known to come in and play well their first year at other programs. This needs to be one of those times.

This team can’t afford to carry anyone. Geno can’t be apprehensive about using any of his reserves at any time. He’s going to need them throughout the year. A minor injury to a starter is a possibility, causing one to miss a game or two (Lou missed 4 last year) and foul trouble is a certainty.

He might as well get them prepared mentally and physically for the road ahead. There will be a few bumps in the road during the season that the team will have to navigate if they expect to get a #1 seed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This team is going to be like most recent UConn teams, starters are going to play at least 35 minutes a game vs the top teams. Reserves will only be used to give a starter a blow here and there and in case of foul trouble.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This team is going to be like most recent UConn teams, starters are going to play at least 35 minutes a game vs the top teams. Reserves will only be used to give a starter a blow here and there and in case of foul trouble.

I’m afraid you’re right. Thank goodness teams in the AAC are not as talented as UConn, otherwise the starters would not be able to sustain playing that many minutes throughout the 29 game schedule.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
This is a given. I am hoping that Evelyn can provide those few needed minutes. There is no doubt that the ability is there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom