Come in off the ledge, guys! | The Boneyard

Come in off the ledge, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Looking at how the rumors may shake out, it's somewhat likely we'll be playing in the old Big East before long anyway. The B1G, SEC, and Big 12 are going to have to act at some point. Unless they canabalize each other, which is certainly possible (i.e., the B1G taking Kansas), their targets can only be Connecticut, Cincinnati, and the ACC - and Cincinnati can only be a target for the Big 12.

Among the rumors are UVA and UNC going to the B1G. If the SEC strikes, it is likely to be NCState and VA Tech. The prevailing wisdom is that the Big 12 will opt for Florida State and Clemson, maybe more, maybe Boise State, AFA, or BYU. IF - and I know it's a big 'if' - that happens, look what's left in the ACC. BCU, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Duke, Wake Forest, GA Tech, and Miami. If we join them, maybe along with Cincinnati, we are basically back to where we started in 2004. They'd be forced to add two more to get a CG and what's left? South Florida? Central Florida? Navy? Temple? Either way, we will still be in the worst of the "Big 5 ' Conferences.

It'll be deja vu all over again.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
You beat me to this type of post, geordi. Does everyone honestly think that conference expansion/realignment is going to stop here??? I know it's hard to be patient when schools with inferior athletics, academics, and markets are being invited ahead of us, but UConn will have a home. I'm confident. There is more conference shuffling to be done and this might be a blessing in disguise of sorts.

At this point, I don't even want to join the ACC anymore. You can only be rejected so many times before turning your attention to next pretty girl. Hey B1G, how you doin'?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The only reason for it to continue is FSU et al leaving for the Big 12. Until that happens there is no incentive for anyone to do.anything.

UConn lost it's best chance to get out. Any move from here on out would be a miracle.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The only reason for it to continue is FSU et al leaving for the Big 12. Until that happens there is no incentive for anyone to do.anything.

UConn lost it's best chance to get out. Any move from here on out would be a miracle.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

You would have said the exact same thing before the Big 10 took Rutgers and Maryland. They aren't done.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The only solace here is the last disaster resulted in UConn getting in the BE earlier and winning the BE Champiomship and attending a BCS bowl.

Nothing replaces winning.

And that open slot "best of the rest" is up for grabs. UConn can't control the alignment issues but it can control what it puts on the field and be a perennial contender for that slot.

F

fortebleedsblue

Here is what you are missing in all this. If ACC took dumpster fire BC, Pitt,Cuse and now conference USA Ville over Uconn why won't its next move be cinci? I mean UConn isn't getting in for a reason... Cincinnati has more tvs, fans and better football success not to mention their academic profile at #137 now matches what the ACC is looking for ... Why won't they be next? Also what is going to stop the BC block? After cinci why not go after navy... Then maybe go after USF .. Then maybe ECU. Honestly we act like we are next in line by default and it's complete BS.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
You are not wrong sbout Cincy or the odds the USF, UCF or Houston bust out over the next 5 years.

I don't know what the answer is except this: Malloy should charge each cable household a $1 month UConn Sports tax and broker a deal for UConn to become the BE Network 's lead producer and Syndicator and form a College Sports Channel much like RayCom. Partner with WWE and Comcast Regional and think big. Run dog and kennel shows against the ACC on Saturday :)

Reaction Score
I can't imagine how some of the people crying on this board would react to real tragedy. Right now it sucks, but expansion's not over by a long shot so don't go monogramming NNBE into your underwear quite yet.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Looking at how the rumors may shake out, it's somewhat likely we'll be playing in the old Big East before long anyway. The B1G, SEC, and Big 12 are going to have to act at some point. Unless they canabalize each other, which is certainly possible (i.e., the B1G taking Kansas), their targets can only be Connecticut, Cincinnati, and the ACC - and Cincinnati can only be a target for the Big 12.

Among the rumors are UVA and UNC going to the B1G. If the SEC strikes, it is likely to be NCState and VA Tech. The prevailing wisdom is that the Big 12 will opt for Florida State and Clemson, maybe more, maybe Boise State, AFA, or BYU. IF - and I know it's a big 'if' - that happens, look what's left in the ACC. BCU, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Duke, Wake Forest, GA Tech, and Miami. If we join them, maybe along with Cincinnati, we are basically back to where we started in 2004. They'd be forced to add two more to get a CG and what's left? South Florida? Central Florida? Navy? Temple? Either way, we will still be in the worst of the "Big 5 ' Conferences.

It'll be deja vu all over again.

The ledge surrounds us 360 degrees. There is nothing to come in to. We can only pray for realignment armageddon. Even then we will be left out, but we'll be left out with some of our old friends.

I think it is plausible that The SEC takes UNC and UVA. They'd be done at 16 with the premier property in every state in the south except Texas. The B1G could go after Kansas and K-State, or could go after BC and Pitt/Cuse, to shore up their eastern wing. Either way, both the ACC and Big 12 would need to scamble. UT holds a lot of cards here. They can anchor a conferecnce of their choosing (probably with the ACC remnants and Big 12 remnants) or they can bolt for the Pac. If they bolt, the dregs will need to combine in a 4th league. We'd be in that conversation. If UT holds the Big 12 together, I think we're out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom