Come Fall I'll Bet This Concern Is A Nonissue | The Boneyard

Come Fall I'll Bet This Concern Is A Nonissue

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"The only glaring downfall in Adebayo’s stat sheet is her turnovers. She average 3.6 per game last season, which ranks in the bottom three percent of the country. Keep in mind that she did average over 35 minutes per game, but even on a per possession basis, she ranks around the 50th percentile. With UConn being a team that takes excellent care of the ball, this is a facet of her game she will need to clean up as she arrives in Storrs. "

UConn Women’s Basketball: What Evelyn Adebayo Brings To The Roster

When you look at video of Murray games last season you see a lot of Evelyn bringing the ball up. I suspect that accounts for a fair number of turn overs on her stat sheet. She will not be doing that at UConn. The better question for me is can she tone up a bit here in the off season and still be the force she is inside. Takes a lot of work and willpower.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
"The only glaring downfall in Adebayo’s stat sheet is her turnovers. She average 3.6 per game last season, which ranks in the bottom three percent of the country. Keep in mind that she did average over 35 minutes per game, but even on a per possession basis, she ranks around the 50th percentile. With UConn being a team that takes excellent care of the ball, this is a facet of her game she will need to clean up as she arrives in Storrs. "

UConn Women’s Basketball: What Evelyn Adebayo Brings To The Roster

When you look at video of Murray games last season you see a lot of Evelyn bringing the ball up. I suspect that accounts for a fair number of turn overs on her stat sheet. She will not be doing that at UConn. The better question for me is can she tone up a bit here in the off season and still be the force she is inside. Takes a lot of work and willpower.

Evelyn did everything at Murray St. I suspect many of her TO's were the result of the Racers forcing the ball to her in the post where she got double and triple teamed. She's going to just love it at UConn where every time she gets the ball, there will only be one person guarding her, unless she's wide open because her defender is doubling Christyn, Liv, Crystal, Evina, Ania, Megan, Aubrey or some other Husky.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I realize those are highlights, but it does appear that she has soft hands and a nice touch. She's not afraid of contact and goes up strong. As @RockyMTblue2 and @oldude both pointed out, she won't be bringing the ball up the court, but more importantly, won't be responsible for setting up any offense or delivering the ball to teammates on offense.

I suspect her TO's will be down quite a bit. She has an excellent handle for a "post" player and her beef will give UCONN some toughness and strength.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I realize those are highlights, but it does appear that she has soft hands and a nice touch. She's not afraid of contact and goes up strong. As @RockyMTblue2 and @oldude both pointed out, she won't be bringing the ball up the court, but more importantly, won't be responsible for setting up any offense or delivering the ball to teammates on offense.

I suspect her TO's will be down quite a bit. She has an excellent handle for a "post" player and her beef will give UCONN some toughness and strength.

Great observations by you all. It's a fact that the more you handle the ball, the more turnovers you're going to have. The reverse is also true. As already stated, she won't be handling (bring it up) the ball nearly as much this year. That will not be her role here. Also she'll be playing with players more talented than before, which will also help cut down on her turnovers.

As the piece mentioned, Adebayo's biggest asset is being a prolific rebounder and she can score the ball in a variety of ways. While she can shoot threes well enough that opponents will have to respect her from there, she scores most of her points from inside the arc. She's also very good at drawing fouls and getting to the line.

Perhaps her greatest asset is her ability of staying out of foul trouble. She averaged just 2.2 fouls per game and committed the foul on just 3.5 percent of her possessions, a trait that we know Geno loves, especially late in close games. ;)

This is her LAST rodeo. I'm sure she wants it to be a memorable one. Given her work ethic and maturity, I'm sure she'll come into camp in shape and ready to go. After 4 weeks of camp, and 5 or so games behind her, I think Adebayo will have made the adjustment to playing Geno's style of BB with this team. She doesn't have to reinvent the wheel, simply make minor adjustments in her approach to the game.

Geno could have offered a lot of "other" players in the transfer portal, they offered her. I don't think Geno and staff missed on this one. They obviously liked the tools on her tool belt. She'll be fine. I think we're going to like what we see. :)

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

After her career high 28 against Tennessee the Tenn color analyst, a former Celtic, was very complimentary of her foot work.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
How can you call this discussion intelligent? Not a single poster wailed, whined, or caterwauled about our need for bigs? This thread barely qualifies as Boneyard material. ;)

It's not even "officially" summer yet (June 21). Fear not, there will be plenty of time for whining, caterwauling, second guessing, worrying, hand wringing, waling and gnashing of teeth. The first exhibition game is approx 26 weeks away. Our resident "Chicken Littles" will stay true to form and not let us down. You know it's coming. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
she's great......just not BIG enough!!!!!..:D

I just did a rewatch of her last year highlites reel. Her handles, court awareness and passing skills are very high and she can break you down off the dribble. It's for sure that you aren't going to get hurt when she's on the court. She said she studied Diana's every move and it shows.

I have to say I have one concern though. Can she handle the crowd and the noise? :D

I you wanna. The first 3 she makes, watch her going back up court and tell me who you see:

Reaction Score
You really should change your avatar to Joe Bftsplk. :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's not even "officially" summer yet (June 21). Fear not, there will be plenty of time for whining, caterwauling, second guessing, worrying, hand wringing, waling and gnashing of teeth. The first exhibition game is approx 26 weeks away. Our resident "Chicken Littles" will stay true to form and not let us down. You know it's coming. ;)
705e84e22533a8b70f7c63a97eb6d85211f82bdc37d1e497fbcc3192c6351212.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom