OT: Comcast to drop Big 10 network | The Boneyard

OT: Comcast to drop Big 10 network

Reaction Score
Dropping out here in Colorado. Simple, No one watches it. IE....no ad revenue.

Reaction Score
I'm not an expert on this stuff, but Comcast isn't even in NYC. Cable offerings here generally are Time Warner, Verizon, and RCN.

I'm not exactly sure what the implications are for in real terms for NYC residents or if this has no effect at all. From this map, it looks like you can only get Comcast in one pocket of Manhattan in the Clinton Hill area. Comcast isn't even that widely available in New York state.

My guess is that the Big 10 thinks so highly of themselves that it doesn't match true value in the marketplace so Comcast decided it wouldn't pay those bloated rates to carry the network anymore.

The Big 10 can either cave and drop carriage fees or be locked out of the Northeast as I would suspect other cable providers may follow suit.

The logical step for B10 fans in NYC would be to cut the cord and get a YouTubeTV or Sling subscription.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Oh jeeze what will the B1G do without literally 276 people who live in Hopewell Junction?!
Seriously, the total population of the towns listed is 104,696. So maybe 30000 houses with cable, maybe 20000 choose Comcast. How many of those are watching B1G games?

Comcast doesn't have a huge presence in New York, by any stretch. This is non news.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Comcast is big in New England, Large pockets in the south, most of VA, Colorado and SF, Portland and Seattle. All of these markets are now gone on their system- seems like very big news to me even if the carriage was only 10 cents per household.

And I bet the ratings sucked which embolded comcast to cut.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Simple solution...all the B10 has to do is add Buffalo and all those subscribers in N. Westchester and Putnam counties, all 20-30,000 of them, will be saved from the horror of missing out on the BTN! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Yea, I live in norther fairfield county and don't get most of the Connecticut news stations. I get WFSB and then all the New York news stations in the morning. We're considered part of the New York sub market, so there must be some sort of NY presence with the networks, because they override CT programming here.

Reaction Score
Thats annoying... I liked watching some b10 games during football season.

Reaction Score
Comcast is big in New England, Large pockets in the south, most of VA, Colorado and SF, Portland and Seattle. All of these markets are now gone on their system- seems like very big news to me even if the carriage was only 10 cents per household.

And I bet the ratings sucked which embolded comcast to cut.
Yeah, because they show things like Indiana vs Ohio State. Swimming, and rarely any major events. Mostly junk. Softball, volleyball. That ain't gonna cut it.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Solution: Florida International, Berkeley College- the one in White Plains, not the school in the town of Berkeley, California- and Washington to the B1G.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
So much for Rutgers selling NY and NJ to the Big. UCONN would have sold more packages in CT and New England.
Given what a draw the UConn women are, I think you might be correct.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Is it though? It’s not like New York would be added back if we joined.

But that’s what the B1G gets for adding that New Jersey trashcan.
Thought this too, but we would give them CT's 3 million people so there's that. A lot of our appeal is our reach to NYC, and New England though. This hurts that somewhat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom