Comcast buys Time Warner | The Boneyard

Comcast buys Time Warner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There are implications here regarding conference TV networks, since Comcast is the most intransigent cable TV service out there when it comes to agreeing to the demands of the college sports networks to pass along rights fees to customers.

Now that it's about to become an absolute behemoth, the whole conference TV game just became even more difficult. I have to think ESPN is smiling a little bit this morning.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How does this impact UConn/AAC Future tv deal and UConn future in trying to get into a new league?

Reaction Score
I may be one of the few who love my Comcast account.

Comcast features ESPN and its various channels as well as Fox sports and some regional sports channels.

It may bode less well for those who have a network that they are trying to sell. The BTN could be obtained in Florida, as an example, but as an upcharge package not basic.

Reaction Score
I may be one of the few who love my Comcast account.

Comcast features ESPN and its various channels as well as Fox sports and some regional sports channels.

It may bode less well for those who have a network that they are trying to sell. The BTN could be obtained in Florida, as an example, but as an upcharge package not basic.

May not bode well for the that future ACC network.

Reaction Score
It will make it easier for someone like the BTN in that it now only has to negotiate with 1 entity in the NY Metro marketplace instead of 2.

Comcast also has a history of conducting their negotiations a bit more behind the scenes unlike TWC and it's much publicized battle with MSG or DirectTV and it's ongoing fight with the PAC12 Network.

At the end of the day, IMO, I still think FOX will win the BTN battle by holding the YES Network as a hostage. There are too many Yankee fans who will go crazy if they don't get to watch games

pj

Reaction Score
I have to think ESPN is smiling a little bit this morning.

Why would ESPN be smiling? They will have tougher bargaining with a monopsonist customer now. This helps the middlemen at the expense of the content producers.

At the end of the day, IMO, I still think FOX will win the BTN battle by holding the YES Network as a hostage. There are too many Yankee fans who will go crazy if they don't get to watch games

That leverage only works so far. Holding the YES network off cable kills its revenue and the Yankees' revenue. Doubt that Fox would sabotage YES for the benefit of the BTN.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't bet on this being approved. Merging the two largest networks in an industry that already lacks for competition? If approved, my best guess is that it will be conditional, and some markets, Comcast or TWC will need to spin off the local cable rights to a third party. They have done similar things with the cell companies.

Reaction Score
Why would ESPN be smiling? They will have tougher bargaining with a monopsonist customer now. This helps the middlemen at the expense of the content producers.

That leverage only works so far. Holding the YES network off cable kills its revenue and the Yankees' revenue. Doubt that Fox would sabotage YES for the benefit of the BTN.

ESPN has a ton of money. They can deal with Comcast even if Comcast starts shaving money from ESPN. This effectively allows ESPN to hold costs down because they are no longer threatened by network/conference alliances. ESPN's superiority is already baked into Comcast's business model. The conference networks are not yet part of the calculation.

Reaction Score

FOX now owns 80% of YES so the Yankee's revenues are not a piece of the equation.

What I believe Fox will do is bundle YES/BTN together the same way many other channels are bundled. That way if you get YES you will get the BTN

Reaction Score
It will make it easier for someone like the BTN in that it now only has to negotiate with 1 entity in the NY Metro marketplace instead of 2.

Comcast also has a history of conducting their negotiations a bit more behind the scenes unlike TWC and it's much publicized battle with MSG or DirectTV and it's ongoing fight with the PAC12 Network.

Comcast stonewalled BTN in the heart of Penn State's market. They are more rigid than any other company.

Reaction Score
Comcast stonewalled BTN in the heart of Penn State's market. They are more rigid than any other company.

We can agree to disagree but with FOX owning 80% of YES the NY Metro market is entirely different. FOX owns maybe the one thing many fans in this market will refuse to do without.

Take away the national tv & ESPN games the Yankees have and there are still 130 games per season that are only available on YES.

Comcast had all the leverage with the BTN in the Penn St situation. FOX has it here.

As an example, I know about 10 people here in AZ that dropped DirectTV because they don't carry the PAC12 Network and the local cable & fiber options do. I know 10 people is meaningless but if I know 10 people there have to plenty of others who have done the same. Imagine how Yankee fans will react

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom