Column: Matt Burke: UConn men's basketball is no longer 'big-time' | The Boneyard

Column: Matt Burke: UConn men's basketball is no longer 'big-time'

Reaction Score
Metro is a free rag newspaper handout on subways and mass transit areas. Take the source at its worth, even as a UConn alum.

Reaction Score
yeah, please take this for what its worth. the kid is one of those "journalists" who has a day job because the paper he works for either has no money to pay him, or he's getting college credits. intern status. Metro?? sounds like that ThisIsNews crap..a bunch of people who work for free whenever they have some free time because of their "dream" to become a journalist or hard hitting op-ed reporter, when really, they also probably work as a secretary or something during the day to actually make money. Waste of time to read. Kid should stick to his day job.

Reaction Score
3 years removed since our last National Championship... whats that make UNC who hasnt won since 09'? They are the LIC of the college basketball world i guess

Reaction Score
"In recent years, I don’t even check the polls – because I know UConn won’t have a spot there." We were 16/18th to start the season. granted that was in 2016.

Reaction Score
Fairly craptastic... However, are we closer to being Duke or St. Johns?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The record on the court the past few seasons has nothing to do with being in the AAC. If we took care of business in conference play we would be seeded properly.

The atmosphere comment is hard to disagree with. Watching meaningless AAC conference games is just a chore sometimes. Not anything earth shattering, but with a Giants playoff game in the same spot as an under .500 UConn team taking on UCF? I'm shocked there were that many fans there.

Reaction Score
If Matt Burke is this quick to remove our "big time" status then he'll be quick to hand it back when our program rebounds.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
who said what?

and what does that "who" know about being "big time" again?

for the record, Zio Luigi in Naples thinks we're the best

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He doesn't even mention our incoming recruiting class. Might that be an important factor to consider when discussing what the future holds?

Reaction Score
AAC basketball is a crappy product to watch, in person or on TV, even with a good team. I wonder if the school even considers this aspect, or is it all about raw dollars?

Reaction Score
I was at the UCF game. I think his figure of about 5000 fans was about right. In the 200's level there where whole sections that were virtually empty.

A lot of what he says is true. UConn hasnt been relevant on the national stage for the last 2 1/2 seasons. You can make all the excuses you want, but the program isnt what it once was. To not even be a contender for the regular season crown year after year in the AAC is disappointing to say the least.

The UCF game was definitely a step in the right direction. Jackson and Vital are getting plenty of minutes. That should help greatly next season.

Reaction Score
3 years removed since our last National Championship... whats that make UNC who hasnt won since 09'? They are the LIC of the college basketball world i guess
They've played in 21 NCAA tournament games and have qualified for the NCAA tournament 6 out of 7 years while posting a .733 winning percentage since their title. UConn has played in 2 NCAA games in the 2+ years and has a .593 winning percentage since their title.
There's more to success in college basketball than just winning championships.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't pee on Matt Burke if he was on fire

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
They've played in 21 NCAA tournament games and have qualified for the NCAA tournament 6 out of 7 years while posting a .733 winning percentage since their title. UConn has played in 2 NCAA games in the 2+ years and has a .593 winning percentage since their title.
There's more to success in college basketball than just winning championships.
I know what you're trying to get at BUT to compare 7 plus yrs to 2 plus yrs perhaps skews the numbers a bit
However, It's nice to see that the time gaps for one team is much shorter than another

Reaction Score
He doesn't even mention our incoming recruiting class. Might that be an important factor to consider when discussing what the future holds?

You gave his article the profound comment it deserves . . .

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is no need for an obituary for the UConn program. However, the patient is not well. Anyone who assumes that the UConn legacy is similar to that of Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UCLA or North Carolina is not being realistic. It's much more fragile. Outside of the Big East, and without Calhoun the assumption of almost everyone is that we will revert to irrelevance. We have to constantly rebut that assumption. At the moment we are validating it.

Our position as a power program is stronger than Gonzaga's but is much weaker than our P5 blue blood competition. It will not persist if we do not win games, appear in the top 25 regularly and win tournament games. It will fade much more rapidly than Indiana's during similar down periods. Ollie is recruiting well, but a losing season will put an end to that pretty quickly. By the same token, winning the AAC tournament and making a miracle run to the sweet 16 would do wonders.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom