Colorado @ Cal | The Boneyard

Colorado @ Cal

Reaction Score
I was afraid Colorado blowing a victory against Stanford with less than two seconds left would hurt their chances against Cal but they won 62-50. It helps to have the best freshman point guard in the country, a great three point shooter, and to get back their redshirt 6’ 5” freshman who was injured in first three minutes of Oregon State game. Tough, tough conference, top to bottom.

Reaction Score
Nothing can hurt your chances against Cal, they just can't win.
I agree Cal is bad, but I think Colorado is good. Won't be surprised if they play both Oregon schools tough at home next weekend. Since I live in Corvallis and have 2 U of O degress I don't want either team to lose to CU, but I won't be surprised if one does. I will take solace though since my daughter got a degree from CU.

Reaction Score
I agree Cal is bad, but I think Colorado is good. Won't be surprised if they play both Oregon schools tough at home next weekend. Since I live in Corvallis and have 2 U of O degress I don't want either team to lose to CU, but I won't be surprised if one does. I will take solace though since my daughter got a degree from CU.
Let’s put it this way. That while I don’t expect Colorado to win either game, they’re good enough that I would not be shocked.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Let’s put it this way. That while I don’t expect Colorado to win either game, they’re good enough that I would not be shocked.
What is the name of the freshman point guard?

Reaction Score
What is the name of the freshman point guard?
Jaylyn Sherrod out of Birmingham, Alabama. Commentators are calling her the fastest player in college basketball. Even though she plays and practices in Boulder, she plays so fast she still gets winded at altitude.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have to give Props to @Dokey here about Colorado. I was dubious as best and downright dismissive at worst but upon looking at Massey and WarrenNolan, Colorado would and should be in the NCAAT right now. OSU is in a tailspin and their offense is hugely suspect (sorry @LoTrader ) so if the Buffs can hang 70 on them, they could win at home next weekend.
After this comings weekend games against the Oregon schools is 3 cupcakes of the PAC12 and the home rematch against Stanford. I will be watching intently in support of the Buffs! You've converted me Dokey, you've converted me!

Too bad they lost at home against Utah-did Ola Mukarat go off on a scoring binge??? :rolleyes:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I have to give Props to @Dokey here about Colorado. I was dubious as best and downright dismissive at worst but upon looking at Massey and WarrenNolan, Colorado would and should be in the NCAAT right now. OSU is in a tailspin and their offense is hugely suspect (sorry @LoTrader ) so if the Buffs can hang 70 on them, they could win at home next weekend.
After this comings weekend games against the Oregon schools is 3 cupcakes of the PAC12 and the home rematch against Stanford. I will be watching intently in support of the Buffs! You've converted me Dokey, you've converted me!

Too bad they lost at home against Utah-did Ola Mukarat go off on a scoring binge??? :rolleyes:
I'm surprised. I didn't think there were any cupcakes in the Pac12. :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm surprised. I didn't think there were any cupcakes in the Pac12. :rolleyes:
Washington 107/85, Washington State 85/71 and California 126/112...yuck.

Reaction Score

No, she has seen very limited action. What happened was Utah could not miss from beyond the arc, hitting 16 threes, mostly in second half. It had to be their best performance of the year.

Reaction Score

I was never saying they were an elite team—yet. Just that they were a very young but promising team. I said, given PAC-12 competition, lose ten games, and still be good. One silly mistake—they’re young—cost them a win over Stanford and they lost to UCLA on failed last second shot. What you see is a coach in her fourth year finally having her recruits on the floor. She’s from the Kelly Graves coaching tree for whom she also played point guard herself (you may recognize his other point guards, Sabrina and Sloot). We are hoping she can return Colorado to the glory days of Hall of Fame coach Ceal Barry, now associate athletic director.

Reaction Score

If you want to know their potential look at what I think is the most revealing stat—offensive rebounds.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Jaylyn Sherrod out of Birmingham, Alabama. Commentators are calling her the fastest player in college basketball. Even though she plays and practices in Boulder, she plays so fast she still gets winded at altitude.
Out of curiosity, who are the commentators saying that? I just watched the game against Stanford and while she has a very quick first step, I didn't find her to be notably faster than any other top point guards like CD, among others. Once Tara figured out her patterns, she stuck Kiana Williams on her in the 4th and in overtime, and they pretty effectively shut her down.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Actually, I don't agree that Colorado would be in the NCAAT as of now. They don't have any good wins, and the committee isn't going to cut them any slack when they see what an awful nonconference schedule they played (#272).

They'll have 5 big opportunities on their home court in the next month: the Oregon schools this weekend, Stanford in mid-February, and the Arizona schools in late February all have to travel to Boulder. I think Colorado needs to win at least one of those five games.

Last edited:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, who are the commentators saying that? I just watched the game against Stanford and while she has a very quick first step, I didn't find her to be notably faster than any other top point guards like CD, among others. Once Tara figured out her patterns, she stuck Kiana Williams on her in the 4th and in overtime, and they pretty effectively shut her down.

She's fast, but I agree that there are other guards in the Pac12 who are likely her equal. In any case, she is very good and would be my pick for Freshman of the Year. Oregon destroyed Colorado by taking advantage of her inexperience and trapping all over the floor; I don't think that will happen in Boulder. Graves and Payne are obviously very close--their interactions are quite special--and he was almost apologetic after the game in Eugene.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
She's fast, but I agree that there are other guards in the Pac12 who are likely her equal. In any case, she is very good and would be my pick for Freshman of the Year. Oregon destroyed Colorado by taking advantage of her inexperience and trapping all over the floor; I don't think that will happen in Boulder. Graves and Payne are obviously very close--their interactions are quite special--and he was almost apologetic after the game in Eugene.
Sherrod and Kiana Williams are both extremely fast, but I'd put Aari McDonald up against any PG in the country in terms of raw speed. Dyaisha Fair of Buffalo is another lightning-quick freshman.

Sherrod's having a great freshman year, and I've also been extremely impressed with Brynna Maxwell of Utah and Alyssa Pili of USC. But my pick for FOY has to be Taylor Jones.

Reaction Score
Actually, I don't agree that Colorado would be in the NCAAT as of now. They don't have any good wins, and the committee isn't going to cut them any slack when they see what an awful nonconference schedule they played (#272).

They'll have 5 big opportunities on their home court in the next month: the Oregon schools this weekend, Stanford in mid-February, and the Arizona schools in late February all have to travel to Boulder. I think Colorado needs to win at least one of those five games.
I agree they need to win at least one of those games to make it to the tourney. I think they will especially if they can drum up some good crowds. Currently they are only averaging 1.623, but hopefully the games with the Oregon schools should help them increase attendance.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
But my pick for FOY has to be Taylor Jones.
Totally agree. What's impressive about Jones is that she entered a very system-oriented team that has traditionally taken bigs 2-3 years to really master, and yet she's looked effortless from practically day one. It's scary to think about her potential over the next 3 seasons, because she's already matching senior-year Hamblin and not much behind senior-year Gulich in terms of her efficacy under the basket. Not to mention Jones is actually leading Sherrod on stats metrics, and yet Jones joined an established team stacked with experienced scorers, and she's only just behind both Slocum and Pivec in PPG on a team that tends to be very unselfish in terms of distributing the ball.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Totally agree. What's impressive about Jones is that she entered a very system-oriented team that has traditionally taken bigs 2-3 years to really master, and yet she's looked effortless from practically day one. It's scary to think about her potential over the next 3 seasons, because she's already matching senior-year Hamblin and not much behind senior-year Gulich in terms of her efficacy under the basket. Not to mention Jones is actually leading Sherrod on stats metrics, and yet Jones joined an established team stacked with experienced scorers, and she's only just behind both Slocum and Pivec in PPG on a team that tends to be very unselfish in terms of distributing the ball.
That's certainly true about Jones, and she is obviously deserving. However, I believe that entering an established system and not being the primary focus for opponents is a major advantage, rather than the opposite. (There are no Pivecs and Slocums on Colorado.) As a result, Sherrod--in my view, anyway--has had to carry a much bigger load and, with the responsibility accompanying it, deal with considerably more pressure than Jones. I think that should be an important consideration.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom