Collier Signs With Hatay (Turkey) | The Boneyard

Collier Signs With Hatay (Turkey)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She will make good money over there. Some teams like those in Turkey are attached to lucrative soccer clubs, thus they pay very well. I read that some WNBA players can make 10-15 times their WNBA salaries.

Guess it must be the money. They seem to be at the bottom of the league

and only American was Baylor Player Alexis Prince. Will Pheesa be taking her place? Is there a 1 US player rule?

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
She will be in for an awakening when it comes to certain freedoms that she has here in the U.S., Turkey has changed drastically since I was stationed in Incirlik Air Base for Desert Storm and Operation Provide Comfort. Back then the people had more political and religious freedoms, now with the current Government, many people of non Muslim believes have lost some of their rights to those freedoms. Over the past few years I've lost contact with some of the people that I got to know while I was there, a few of them were put in jail for their beliefs.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
She will be in for an awakening when it comes to certain freedoms that she has here in the U.S., Turkey has changed drastically since I was stationed in Incirlik Air Base for Desert Storm and Operation Provide Comfort. Back then the people had more political and religious freedoms, now with the current Government, many people of non Muslim believes have lost some of their rights to those freedoms. Over the past few years I've lost contact with some of the people that I got to know while I was there, a few of them were put in jail for their beliefs.

Phee doesn’t strike me as someone who would go into a foreign country and rock the boat...

...if Stef Dolson makes it in China, Phee will be fine in Turkey.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some of us were in Istanbul in 2014 for the World Cup. Walking around the city seemed as safe as New York or D.C. But a couple of years later, some major bombings took place--including at the international airport terminal and historic area--and Erdogan began cracking down on freedoms. I'm very glad I went, but might be apprehensive to return (even if Covid has disappeared).

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
except crossing the street. :eek::eek:
You think it's bad in Turkey, try crossing a street in Korea. When I was there you would have eight cars at a stop light waiting for it to turn green. All of them trying to be one of the first three out of the jump to get into the three lane traffic on the other side of the intersection.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You think it's bad in Turkey, try crossing a street in Korea. When I was there you would have eight cars at a stop light waiting for it to turn green. All of them trying to be one of the first three out of the jump to get into the three lane traffic on the other side of the intersection.

I bow to your expertise of Korea but when I was in Istanbul 30+ years ago, I do not remember any stoplights.. ;);):eek::eek:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I bow to your expertise of Korea but when I was in Istanbul 30+ years ago, I do not remember any stoplights.. ;);):eek::eek:
They had them, they just didn't follow them. It's like Las Vegas today, the light turns red and four more vehicles go through the intersection before the others can go through their green light.:mad::mad::mad:

Reaction Score
Doesn't she have a wedding to pay for? Also isn't she one of the lowest paid wnba stars since she is so young? Good for her. Make some money.

Reaction Score
As a Peace Corps Volunteer in a Turkey 1966-68 it isn’t the same country, far more prosperous, far less free, but basketball then, as now, was always popular.

Reaction Score
So can any internationally astute BY'er put this move in perspective?

Turkey has probably been the strongest league over the last few years, but recent financial issues could threaten that. Hatay has been one of the better teams consistently.

She will make good money over there. Some teams like those in Turkey are attached to lucrative soccer clubs, thus they pay very well. I read that some WNBA players can make 10-15 times their WNBA salaries.

Turkey probably will not be paying as much this season as they have been in the recent past. Even before the virus, the amount of money available has dried up a bit.

Most soccer clubs, including the ones in Turkey are not anything close to self-sustaining either. The big 3 Istanbul clubs do have teams in many sports including women's basketball. The clubs themselves are member-owned and the wealthy members sponsor the various teams and also run for club president, which can be a beneficial title if the teams do well. Other teams in Turkey are sponsored by universities or local municipalities (like the current men's soccer champions, which only has a few thousand fans, but funds the team by taking money directly from Istanbul's taxpayers). About 30-35% of Turkish adults identify with Fenerbahce (Kiah's team) and the about same amount are associated with Galatasaray (Bria's last team) while another 20% or so identify as Besiktas supporters. Fenerbahce's sponsors had opted to spread out the money among their two basketball teams and two volleyball teams because of the better opportunity to win European championships in those sports, but the club's general membership base has decided that they want success in men's soccer above everything else so their newest president is preparing for budget cuts to their other teams.

Guess it must be the money. They seem to be at the bottom of the league

and only American was Baylor Player Alexis Prince. Will Pheesa be taking her place? Is there a 1 US player rule?

They were doing fine in the early part of the season and then ran out of money so their best players left. They have had a number of good recent seasons, but money issues multiple times. I have not heard of any rules changes so the limit is 4 non-Turks (only two of them can be non-European) and 1 naturalized Turk (like Kiah Stokes or Barbara Turner). The rich teams can carry extra foreigners, especially for European play, but just do not field all of them at the same time in the domestic league.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It's actually a bigger problem in London and Sydney, because my instinct is to look in the wrong direction.
I detested driving in England, it felt so wrong and was stressful.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I detested driving in England, it felt so wrong and was stressful.
If I were to try it, I think I'd be fine on a straightaway, but when I have to turn, I'd have a 50% chance at best of being in the proper lane.

Reaction Score
If I were to try it, I think I'd be fine on a straightaway, but when I have to turn, I'd have a 50% chance at best of being in the proper lane.
Yeah, turning is goofy til you get used to it - especially turning right. But the roundabouts are the killers (and the English love their roundabouts). Driving around clockwise (unfamiliar) on the left side (unfamiliar) and exiting on the left (unfamiliar). Inexperienced right-side drivers are a head-on collision waiting to happen.

What helps me is you are sort of automatically reminded to drive on the left because of your driving position on the right side of the car. But the English take their right-drive English cars through the Chunnel and go right out into France and drive them on the right. Same for the Europeans - they take their left-drive ("normal") cars though the Chunnel and go right out into England and drive them on the left. They just don't think it's a big deal. Like speaking 5 languages - just the normal skill set to get along...

Reaction Score
They had them, they just didn't follow them. It's like Las Vegas today, the light turns red and four more vehicles go through the intersection before the others can go through their green light.:mad::mad::mad:

Las Vegas sounds like South Windsor, CT!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, turning is goofy til you get used to it - especially turning right. But the roundabouts are the killers (and the English love their roundabouts). Driving around clockwise (unfamiliar) on the left side (unfamiliar) and exiting on the left (unfamiliar). Inexperienced right-side drivers are a head-on collision waiting to happen.

What helps me is you are sort of automatically reminded to drive on the left because of your driving position on the right side of the car. But the English take their right-drive English cars through the Chunnel and go right out into France and drive them on the right. Same for the Europeans - they take their left-drive ("normal") cars though the Chunnel and go right out into England and drive them on the left. They just don't think it's a big deal. Like speaking 5 languages - just the normal skill set to get along...
Roundabouts--traffic circles in New Jersey and most of the U.S.--would be an impossibility for me. Clockwise, you say? Crash! :eek:

Reaction Score
I agree wholeheartedly MS. Hopefully she will be in sort of a bubble and the team will provide her with adequate security. For all the problems we sometimes appear to have people who have traveled to some other countries, like yourself, realize that the grass is not only not greener on the other side but is sometimes dead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom