Collier Gets Backhanded Compliment From Geno | The Boneyard

Collier Gets Backhanded Compliment From Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Pheesa's shooting was great at Central Florida, BUT:

"That wasn't good enough for coach Geno Auriemma, though, who noted Collier had a season high four turnovers to go with her career best five assists.

"She gets everybody involved, on our team, their team, everybody," Auriemma said. "She makes everyone feel good at the end of the game."

Collier was near perfect for UConn women's basketball, but Auriemma notes flaw

Still, there were words of high praise:

"Auriemma recalled a conversation he had with assistant coach Shea Ralph on Saturday.

"I said to Shea the kid amazes me the way she plays basketball," Auriemma said. "She's a machine. You just turn her on, and she just goes. And you get the same thing every day, every day, every day. It's remarkable the way she does things and it looks so effortless. It looks like she's not trying hard. She's a unique player. Not a lot of players from around the country play like Napheesa."

Hopefully this is not a repeat.

Reaction Score
She's going to be an absolute beast as a pro. Precisely the type of player who plays under constraints in college, and then cuts loose as a pro. Reminds me so much of Marques Johnson--playing carefully and in control under John Wooden and then unleashed with the Bucks.

HGN

Reaction Score
She's going to be an absolute beast as a pro. Precisely the type of player who plays under constraints in college, and then cuts loose as a pro. Reminds me so much of Marques Johnson--playing carefully and in control under John Wooden and then unleashed with the Bucks.
Good comparison Bags.

Reaction Score
How weird is this.....Pheese has always reminded me of Keith Wilkes, who played for Wooden and had some overlap with Marques!!

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
He and Pete Maravich are my all-time favorite basketball players....

Reaction Score

"That wasn't good enough for coach Geno Auriemma, though, who noted Collier had a season high four turnovers to go with her career best five assists.

"She gets everybody involved, on our team, their team, everybody," Auriemma said. "She makes everyone feel good at the end of the game."

"Auriemma recalled a conversation he had with assistant coach Shea Ralph on Saturday.

"I said to Shea the kid amazes me the way she plays basketball," Auriemma said. "She's a machine. You just turn her on, and she just goes. And you get the same thing every day, every day, every day. It's remarkable the way she does things and it looks so effortless. It looks like she's not trying hard. She's a unique player. Not a lot of players from around the country play like Napheesa."

You seem to be very sensitive where criticism is concerned. The guy has won 11 championships. I think his barbs are not only effective but necessary. If it bothers you this much, you might not want to read his comments or watch his interviews and press conferences. They won't be filled only with attaboys.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How weird is this.....Pheese has always reminded me of Keith Wilkes, who played for Wooden and had some overlap with Marques!!
Keith Wilkes, aka Jamaal Wilkes aka "Silk", A HoF and integral to Wooden's 88 game win streak and later Laker's championships. Same build as Napheesa, same complete game, and a way of making the game look easy. I said these same thing two years ago.

Reaction Score
You seem to be very sensitive where criticism is concerned. The guy has won 11 championships. I think his barbs are not only effective but necessary. If it bothers you this much, you might not want to read his comments or watch his interviews and press conferences. They won't be filled only with attaboys.
I don't see any sensitivity in his post. Mostly quotes.

Reaction Score
I don't see any sensitivity in his post. Mostly quotes.
He took issue with the Geno criticism of KLS in the Geno Auriemma Show and then he called Geno's comments of about Collier a "backhanded" compliment. That's generally considered a negative thing.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Pro! She's going be a beast as a junior and senior. I don't think I've quite seen a player her age that seems to have every shot. I especially like how she uses the boards when she's under the basket, seemingly out of position. Considering the fact that she's really playing out of position, Azura should free her up next year and the year after.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Keith Wilkes, aka Jamaal Wilkes aka "Silk", A HoF and integral to Wooden's 88 game win streak and later Laker's championships. Same build as Napheesa, same complete game, and a way of making the game look easy. I said these same thing two years ago.

Nice comparison. It's clear as well she watched Stewie and incorporated what she could. Smooth and unique. I've also noticed that on other boards people underestimate her because it looks so easy and many of her baskets are a result of being in the right place. They don't see that she's put in the work to get in position and make the easy shot.

Reaction Score
He took issue with the Geno criticism of KLS in the Geno Auriemma Show and then he called Geno's comments of about Collier a "backhanded" compliment. That's generally considered a negative thing.
I didn't see anything in his post or the article about KLS and I guess I agree with the "backhanded" compliment but don't really find that a negative thing in this circumstance. I think of it more of a Geno thing. He does have a tendency to take digs at his players during interviews and pressers. His way of motivating isn't for everyone, but it seems to work with most players because they know that is his way. Oddly enough it seems like the better players get it the worse..... but that is just my limited observation.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So I guess when Rebecca Lobo was: The worst post player in america
or when Morgan Tuck is really good a missing layups
Or when Crystal had same amount of steal as Geno in a game.
......those were straight up compliments, or was it Geno being Geno?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

You are funny. Geno is my guy with all his prickliness and snark. The title was to give a sense of where the writer was coming from. Did you actually read it? That's rhetorical.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I took issue with sticking Geno's critique of a player on TV and made plain I had no problem with Geno's techniques, just the broadcasting thereof in this case.

Reaction Score

Same build???

Reaction Score
Great post-----Superb quote from Geno. Back hand -fore hand-front hand--any time Geno says half a nice word to a player--they know they are beyond excellent.
I think Geno's assessment of Collier is an exact match with many on the By---

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Same build???
Yea, long and lanky but fiercely strong. Remember last year at SC Coates and Napheesa were scrambling for a loose ball into the corner. If you look at the two players Coates looks stronger but Napheesa nudged and made Coates look like she was shot out a cannon. She is also a long strider so that deceptive in two ways because longer strides makes her look slow until someone tries to keep up and her bounce off the floor is also awesome.

Reaction Score

Hey! Don't talk about 'Pheesa going off to the pros! We've got 2 more years of this fabulous player: let's just enjoy.

Reaction Score
Yea, long and lanky but fiercely strong. Remember last year at SC Coates and Napheesa were scrambling for a loose ball into the corner. If you look at the two players Coates looks stronger but Napheesa nudged and made Coates look like she was shot out a cannon. She is also a long strider so that deceptive in two ways because longer strides makes her look slow until someone tries to keep up and her bounce off the floor is also awesome.
Collier is just plain solid. Solid physically and Solid in BB. I enjoy watching Napheesa run down the floor--the same as I enjoyed Swin Cash. Everyone talks about Napeesa's rebounding and defense and scoring--but her scoring percentages are Soaring!! She has times in may games where her percentage is 100 and not just layups---her shooting ability is beyond excellent.

Reaction Score

I couldn't help but laugh at Geno's comment about getting everybody involved. That's too funny, but in reality she's already a very good player and Geno is the best coach in the game in pushing already decent/good players to be better. I love the way he motivates his players. Some of come off as comical which we all can enjoy. The rest come off as serious but all of it come off as the truth

Reaction Score
I took issue with sticking Geno's critique of a player on TV and made plain I had no problem with Geno's techniques, just the broadcasting thereof in this case.

In the past I was quite vocal about his critiquing (negative type) of any of his players on radio or TV. I don't like public speaking of anyone's lack of ability, effort or phraseology. In the past century (no not the 1700's) I was taught :
Praise in public--reprimand in private. After Sveta departed--I gave up complaining and just accept this is the way he works--for better or worse.

Reaction Score
In the past I was quite vocal about his critiquing (negative type) of any of his players on radio or TV. I don't like public speaking of anyone's lack of ability, effort or phraseology. In the past century (no not the 1700's) I was taught :
Praise in public--reprimand in private. After Sveta departed--I gave up complaining and just accept this is the way he works--for better or worse.
Has anyone noticed that it is only the really good players that get the most grief from Geno. He has this innate ability to get more out of the great ones than they think they are capable of. Keep on trucking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom