Collier consistently delivers | The Boneyard

Collier consistently delivers

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier had 15 points, nine rebounds, four assists, four blocked shots, and three steals.

Watching her play is most enjoyable. She may prefer Kevin Durant but I see more of a Tim Duncan. No flash, just consistent delivery of production.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While the points, rebounds and blocks are certainly "sameold, sameold" for Pheesa, the assists and steals are something new. She was definitely more active on the defensive end and her passing has improved as well. It appears that, along with Gabby, Pheesa will become another stat sheet stuffer for the Huskies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think she's a bit under appreciated on this board. So much talk about Gabby, KLS and Azura, Collier seems to be a bit of a forgotten star at times. I'm a big fan of consistent performance, and she delivers that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think she's a bit under appreciated on this board. So much talk about Gabby, KLS and Azura, Collier seems to be a bit of a forgotten star at times. I'm a big fan of consistent performance, and she delivers that.
Only at UConn could a consensus AA be under appreciated. We are an incredibly fortunate group of fans.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I appreciate Gabby, Napheesa and Crystal. From day one I have said they were special. For me, Gabby really surprised me, because even though I could see she was an amazing player, to see her last year was simply marvelous. Gabby was tagged at 5ft 11inches a center, and she rose to the occasion, and exceeded expectations. Napheesa really up her game, and added the 3 point shot. Like last year's team, they are going to be amazing and fun to watch.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier had 15 points, nine rebounds, four assists, four blocked shots, and three steals.

Watching her play is most enjoyable. She may prefer Kevin Durant but I see more of a Tim Duncan. No flash, just consistent delivery of production.

Definitely agree. Naphessa definitely reminds me of a nose to the grindstone player you can always count on (ie Tim Duncan).

I actually think Z is the perfect match for Kevin Durant. There games are very similar and Durant's defense is improving as well now that he is motivated by great players and a team culture to play both sides of the ball. The parallels are actually quite interesting to me. Z wanted to move from a good but pedestrian playing team to the pinnacle of women's basketball where winning is not the only thing but playing a beautiful brand of basketball counts (My theory. No proof) while Kevin Durant did the same in the NBA. I never viewed Durant's move as a move to win championships the easy way but a move where he recognized that GS plays BB the right way and there is real teamwork instead of watching Westbrook play like a Tazmanian Devil.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Collier also delivers off the court. Via the Courant:

South Carolina coach Dawn Staley, who has taken over for Auriemma as the head coach of the U.S. National team, said she received a thank you card from UConn junior Napheesa Collier. Collier was among five college players to participate in a national team training this summer. “I’ve never received a thank you card from any player that I’ve coached, but she was one of them that did that and it shows the true character of a person when they can do stuff like that,” Staley said.

Reaction Score
IMHO, this is why, barring injury, she among UConn's stars is the closest thing to a lock for AA honors. Her consistency means she makes moire of her chances. She doesn't need a million tries to make her shots because she makes so many of them in the first place.

Reaction Score

Sure as heck not under appreciated by this old man. I think her "consistency" is deceiving. Yes, every year Pheesa delivers consistent performance, but every year the level of that performance rises. She works her butt off in the off-seasons to improve and it shows. She played through an injury freshman year that required post-season surgery. She may not be showy, and she's not much at blowing her own horn, but if I had to pick one Husky to build a team around, it would be Pheesa.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Uconn may have three first team AAs this season and Williams and KLS may not be either one of them. Collier, Z, and Nurse I think will make first team. Williams will more likely make second team only because one team is not allowed to have more than three. KLS, I believe, even though she will have improved, will make the second or third team.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I forgot to say I believe Collier will be in the running for POY.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

South Carolina coach Dawn Staley, who has taken over for Auriemma as the head coach of the U.S. National team, said she received a thank you card from UConn junior Napheesa Collier. Collier was among five college players to participate in a national team training this summer. “I’ve never received a thank you card from any player that I’ve coached, but she was one of them that did that and it shows the true character of a person when they can do stuff like that,” Staley said.

Should have cosigned KLS. :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
@SVCBeercats @MilfordHusky Did anyone catch Gabby on Sports Center today?

Yes, I did. She represented herself, the team and the University very well. She was very articulate and personable. She wore a blue UConn team jumpsuit. She was an excellent interview. I' sure someone will post it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Naphessa is like a fine French wine. She mellows, and gets better with age. She's going to be scary good as a senior, and ALL of the WNBA GM's will be salivating. All 12 teams would love to have her. She'll be a 3 time All-American with a UConn pedigree. My second prediction of the young season: I predict she'll be taken within the first 6 picks of the 1st round of the draft. She'll have a job waiting for her BEFORE graduation.................team?? TBD. :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Naphessa is like a fine French wine. She mellows, and gets better with age. She's going to be scary good as a senior, and ALL of the WNBA GM's will be salivating. All 12 teams would love to have her. She'll be a 3 time All-American with a UConn pedigree. My second prediction of the young season: I predict she'll be taken within the first 6 picks of the 1st round of the draft. She'll have a job waiting for her BEFORE graduation.......team?? TBD. :cool:
First SIX picks? I didn’t know that Maya Moore, Candace Parker, and Nneka Ogwumike would be in the 2019 draft. ;)

Reaction Score
Uconn may have three first team AAs this season and Williams and KLS may not be either one of them. Collier, Z, and Nurse I think will make first team. Williams will more likely make second team only because one team is not allowed to have more than three. KLS, I believe, even though she will have improved, will make the second or third team.

Wow! I suggested this much last summer and was dubbed a KLS hater. Since then I have been laying low. In fact, I had reasoned that Z would start over KLS, with the latter coming off the bench. However, I could not see an AA coming off the bench for a transfer, not to mention the overall chemistry. Add to this the risk of her transferring. Scandalous. My next thinking was to have Gabby off the bench. While Gabby would do so without tears, this team-- heart and soul-- is really Gabby's (and Nurse). It will be interesting to see if Z coming off the bench is final, an experiment, or the waiting for a Bria-like solution from the past. Perhaps Z came forth!

Reaction Score

This is something my daughter would do. In this day in age with texting, facebook, etc....no one does that anymore. Except Pheesa and my daughter!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom