Collier and Samuelson win AAC Co-POY award | The Boneyard

Collier and Samuelson win AAC Co-POY award

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Naphessa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson were selected as co player of the year. Geno Auriemma wins co-coach of the year award with Temple's Tonya Cardoza.

Congratulations to all the winners.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I hate to take away anything from Tonya and Geno, but I'm mildly surprised that Coach Abe at UCF didn't get a share of COY.
Last year: UCF was 7-23 overall, tied for 9th in the AAC at 4-14, finished the season #272 in the RPI.
This year: UCF is 19-10 overall, 4th in the AAC at 9-7, currently #111 in the RPI.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I hate to take away anything from Tonya and Geno, but I'm mildly surprised that Coach Abe at UCF didn't get a share of COY.
Last year: UCF was 7-23 overall, tied for 9th in the AAC at 4-14, finished the season #272 in the RPI.
This year: UCF is 19-10 overall, 4th in the AAC at 9-7, currently #111 in the RPI.
You're not alone. In his acceptance speech, that's who Geno said he voted for.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
When combined with Gabby as DPOY, this is a really, really good result.

I`m not a believer in the "everyone gets a trophy" philosophy, but in this particular case it makes total sense for all three to receive major awards from the AAC.

Hope all three pick up some more hardware, but more importantly a piece of the net they cut down in early April!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I do feel a little bad for Gabbs ... like Kia she is so integral to the success of this group. If 2, why not 3. In voting in the poll I suggested 4 Cos, pig that I am. Oink, oink

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I do feel a little bad for Gabbs ... like Kia she is so integral to the success of this group. If 2, why not 3. In voting in the poll I suggested 4 Cos, pig that I am. Oink, oink
Don't feel bad for Gabby. Gabby was the conference DPOY. I'll bet that means more to her, and to Geno, than the conference POY, and she didn't have to share it.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Tamara Henshaw of USF got Freshman of the Year. She's really come a long way since the start of the season.

Reaction Score
Really pleased with the Awards for the UCONN players and Coach....including former Assistant Coach. Phe and Lou have been together since before they played at UCONN with USA and AAU ball, and the bond between them is obvious. So glad they shared AAC POY. Now it's on to the biggie... National Championship. Success there will take just what it took to do what they have all done so far through the season... playing Husky ball, playing...1, 2, 3..TOGETHER! Go Huskeys!!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I haven't been so energized by a UConn team in quite a while. Can't put my finger on it. Labeling them overachievers isn't it. It my be that because of their relatively "diminutive" size the way they play offense really does generate more wow plays a game than the mighty 3 led team. But I'm still figuring it out.

Reaction Score
Before I read the headline to this thread I was going to say that although Katie Lou is my favorite player, because Gabby has gone against much bigger players, had to at times guard very quick guards and absolutely dominated against ND and SC, she deserved the AAC Player of the Conference. Let's not forget she leads the team in assists, and her energy gets the team off to a flying start most games. I don't feel badly for Gabby; I just thought she deserved the award. Also, the rebounding, the steals; it all seemed to point in her direction.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Last year, Kitija Laksa won the FOY award over Lou. Kitija is a great shooter and made unanimous All-Conference this year, but Lou passed her this season. Look for Crystal to make a similar leap next season. I think she will pass Henshaw.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Perfect. Lou & Pheesa co-POY's. Gabby earns DPOY. Geno co-COY along with Tanya. 6 players earn all-league 1st, 2nd, 3rd or freshmen team recognition.

I think you could call this a "clean sweep" for UConn. Hopefully this is only a prelude of things to come for the Huskies in the coming weeks.

UConn women's basketball - Our way works. ;)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Plebe I am 100% in agreement with you. Katie Abrahamson has done a phenomenal job there and suspect she will be considered for this award a few more times before her career is through.
As has been noted by some fellow BYers here, I think this is a case where the "old boy network" worked in favor of UConn visa vi Tanya being named. She's done a nice job with Temple but her jump from last year to this year wasn't as impressive as UCF. Overall, I am supportive of Tanya getting credit. I hope she sustains it.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Last year, Kitija Laksa won the FOY award over Lou. Kitija is a great shooter and made unanimous All-Conference this year, but Lou passed her this season. Look for Crystal to make a similar leap next season. I think she will pass Henshaw.

The happiest people when Napheesa graduates in 2019 - Napheesa`s parents, Napheesa, and Henshaw. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom