College officiating/go to quarters | The Boneyard

College officiating/go to quarters

Reaction Score
If the rule committee is going to insist that officials call the game tight, then they absolutely need to switch from halves to quarters.

We’re constantly stuck watching about 10 minutes of free throws, which makes for awful entertainment. Switching to quarters would allow fouls to reset after 10 minutes while still accomplishing the freedom of movement that the NCAA wants.

Reaction Score
Also go to 6 personal fouls. Good players play the same number of minutes as NBA players anyhow. Elite shot blockers shouldn't be hampered because of cheap whistles nearly as much as they are
Agreed, it is painful to see Akok on the bench, he wants to be out there so bad, he is a game changer. IMO though, I would see if they can keep him on the bench until under 10, maybe even under 8 IF UConn can keep the deficit to 5 or less.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Also go to 6 personal fouls. Good players play the same number of minutes as NBA players anyhow. Elite shot blockers shouldn't be hampered because of cheap whistles nearly as much as they are

College = 40 min and 5 fouls. That is one foul per eight minutes of game time.
NBA = 58 min and 6 fouls. That is one foul per eight minutes of game time.

Reaction Score
NBA games are 48 minutes, best players play about 36 a night. College games are 40 minutes, best players play about 36 a night. Even if you want to go off total minutes, most parts of the college game are made easier (3pt line, game time, no defensive 3 seconds), giving an extra foul to keep the best players in the game is fine.

Reaction Score
College basketball sucks as a product right now and the officials are a big part of it.

The stupid touch fouls...the phantom traveling calls...they are always looking to call something even when there are no violations taking place. If a good player gets in foul trouble they go out of their way to make sure the kid fouls out or has to go the bench.

Then the ridiculous amount of timeouts, tv timeouts...conditioning is pretty much a non factor when it should be a big factor. I love uconn and will watch every game because I’m so invested in it and the basketball team is basically part of my culture. But watching two other random teams on tv is something I just won’t do anymore and it’s been heading this way the last several years.

Reaction Score
I think you might need to get yourself a calculator because that math isn’t quite right

he's talking about not getting into the bonus as early in each half since team fouls would reset every 10 minute quarter instead of just at halftime, regardless of personal fouls accumulated

cant speak for his math.

but teams seldom are in the bonus within 10 minutes of the start of either half so teams would rarely get into the bonus if team fouls reset after 10 minute quarters...

it is a big part of the game so maybe they should switch to 10 minute quarters but have the bonus start with 5 team fouls??? that would mean a team is shooting in the bonus for the last minute or 2 of each quarter= 4-8 minutes a game. that's better than the current last 5 minutes of each half i.e. 10 minutes of foul shooting per game

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
since we're changing stuff, I say give everyone baseball bats, except the coaches. coaches with bats, and refs? that could get ugly. and prolly not the fans, either. bat day in the garden? no thanks, i'll be watching from the lazy-boy.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The women’s game flows so much better after they switched. Quit moving the three point line every couple years and actually do something

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
College basketball sucks as a product right now and the officials are a big part of it.

The stupid touch fouls...the phantom traveling calls...they are always looking to call something even when there are no violations taking place. If a good player gets in foul trouble they go out of their way to make sure the kid fouls out or has to go the bench.

Then the ridiculous amount of timeouts, tv timeouts...conditioning is pretty much a non factor when it should be a big factor. I love uconn and will watch every game because I’m so invested in it and the basketball team is basically part of my culture. But watching two other random teams on tv is something I just won’t do anymore and it’s been heading this way the last several years.

they aren’t phantom. They are correctly called, but inconsistently called.

take a look at The rule book. 2 complete steps is a travel.

the Q

Reaction Score
The women’s game flows so much better after they switched. Quit moving the three point line every couple years and actually do something

I wish they’d just make it the nba 3pt lone. But I’ll take the international one.

now just narrow the lane to stop punishing good posts and we are onto something.

the Q

Reaction Score
since we're changing stuff, I say give everyone baseball bats, except the coaches. coaches with bats, and refs? that could get ugly. and prolly not the fans, either. bat day in the garden? no thanks, i'll be watching from the lazy-boy.

this was my plan to make soccer more popular in America...

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I wish they’d just make it the nba 3pt lone. But I’ll take the international one.

now just narrow the lane to stop punishing good posts and we are onto something.
They literally don’t call 3 seconds ever. It used to really bug me but now that we have Josh abusing this leniency I’m all for it.

the Q

Reaction Score
They literally don’t call 3 seconds ever. It used to really bug me but now that we have Josh abusing this leniency I’m all for it.

yeha it’s honestly more like 5-7 seconds lol

Reaction Score

Devil's Advocate...players shouldn't have the xtra foul because it will lengthen the end of games even more due to fouls allotted.

Also, elite shot blockers don't get hampered by cheap whistles(often) because they're uhh elite.

IMO it comes down to the fact that refs feel they need to control the game because it's amateurism and there are "teaching and learning" moments.

....reminds me of some of my travel league refs in elementary school calling carries and charges just because...

Reaction Score
Devil's Advocate...players shouldn't have the xtra foul because it will lengthen the end of games even more due to fouls allotted.

Also, elite shot blockers don't get hampered by cheap whistles(often) because they're uhh elite.

IMO it comes down to the fact that refs feel they need to control the game because it's amateurism and there are "teaching and learning" moments.

....reminds me of some of my travel league refs in elementary school calling carries and charges just because...

It has to be this. The paternalism from these officials is crazy. Basketball is a game where you are going to touch someone on every possession. Some of these foul calls are happening very far away from the play that makes you wonder why the ref is even looking at the player in the first place. It has happened to us a couple times this year. Whenever someone is in foul trouble, especially if they are playing well, the refs go out of their way to foul the kid out or send him to the bench. This has happened to us a couple times already and also happened in our favor against Florida with Blackshear.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It has to be this. The paternalism from these officials is crazy. Basketball is a game where you are going to touch someone on every possession. Some of these foul calls are happening very far away from the play that makes you wonder why the ref is even looking at the player in the first place. It has happened to us a couple times this year. Whenever someone is in foul trouble, especially if they are playing well, the refs go out of their way to foul the kid out or send him to the bench. This has happened to us a couple times already and also happened in our favor against Florida with Blackshear.

Agreed. One of my complaints is that they focus too much on hands. I see meaningless touch fouls called all the time. Yet Gilbert can drive and get hip checked and there is no call. So much body contact goes uncalled while dramatically affecting play. Meanwhile hands on defense are called aggressively, yet offensive guards get away with a ton of push offs. It's totally out of balance right now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You do not want to see college basketball played with six fouls.

I know, because I saw college basketball played with six fouls. It was a disaster.

Reaction Score
Need to get back to the Big East mauling, physical style of play

the Q

Reaction Score

All the officials are not supposed to be watching the ball. They’re trying to cover the entire court so they can see everything. The NCAA And high school have both put a big emphasis on “freedom of movement.” That includes on and off the ball action.

if you’re putting 2 hands on a player, it’s probably a foul.

the Q

Reaction Score

because...they wanted to enforce the rules?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom