COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAMS IN SERCH OF THE BRIGHT SIDE | The Boneyard

COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAMS IN SERCH OF THE BRIGHT SIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
American Athletic Conference: Connecticut
Three-Year Record: 13-23. Average 2013 attendance: 30,932. Stadium capacity: 40,000.

Hey, remember when the Huskies made four straight bowl games under Randy Edsall -- including the 2011 Fiesta Bowl, where they were summarily mauled by Oklahoma? Yeah, I don't really, either. Three years of Paul Pasqualoni did a pretty solid job of obliterating any sense of optimism in Storrs. Perhaps new coach and baking enthusiast Bob Diaco can alter the attitude here, but he can't shift the unfortunate fact that Connecticut is a basketball school in a basketball region whose best all-time player is a former backup running back for the Indianapolis Colts.

Runner-Up: Memphis (12 victories over the past five seasons)
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/
comment about pasqualoni was 100% correct

Reaction Score
Yes, we have experienced an unenviable past three years but I haven't lost all hope for the future, including this year. Given the relative strength (weakness) of conference, I'd say UConn is in as good a position as any on that list to make a leap to a bowl game.

Besides, take a look at that list...

UConn--basketball champs
Kansas--#2 seed
UVA--#1 seed, ACC tournament champs
UK--Final four, SEC finalist
Colorado, New Mexico, UMess--Tournament teams

Plus, Maryland, traditionally at least competing for a tournament spot.

In other words, besides the top of the B1G and a few other schools, it's difficult to maintain high level football and basketball teams year in and year out. There are plenty of "basketball" schools who are middling football programs at best and some power football schools who would dream of being on the bubble come hoops season and even more who would make a similar list as the one in the OP had it been made regarding basketball teams.

Reaction Score
All we need is for HCBD to win. Just win, baby! Then we can forget the past three years just as quickly as they made us forget the previous four!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yes, we have experienced an unenviable past three years but I haven't lost all hope for the future, including this year. Given the relative strength (weakness) of conference, I'd say UConn is in as good a position as any on that list to make a leap to a bowl game.

Besides, take a look at that list...

UConn--basketball champs
Kansas--#2 seed
UVA--#1 seed, ACC tournament champs
UK--Final four, SEC finalist
Colorado, New Mexico, UMess--Tournament teams

Plus, Maryland, traditionally at least competing for a tournament spot.

In other words, besides the top of the B1G and a few other schools, it's difficult to maintain high level football and basketball teams year in and year out. There are plenty of "basketball" schools who are middling football programs at best and some power football schools who would dream of being on the bubble come hoops season and even more who would make a similar list as the one in the OP had it been made regarding basketball teams.

Yup, throw UNC, Arizona, Indiana, Duke, and Syracuse on the list of basketball schools with struggling football programs. I'd say the two schools with the most amount of success being competitive in both major revenue sports are Michigan State and Florida. Other than those two, it's difficult for any AD to maintain top level basketball AND football. We all know what UCONN brings in terms of hoops. But I think UCONN has the resources to also be competitive in football. Take 2011 as an example: basketball championship and Fiesta Bowl. Now that Pasqualoni is gone, we can get back to that model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom