College Football Playoff Looking At Expanded Field Options | The Boneyard

College Football Playoff Looking At Expanded Field Options

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I’d previously posted this in a different thread but I think it makes a ton of sense to bring back for this:

2020 examples:

12 team w/ top 4 receiving byes:

8. Oregon v 9. San Jose State (Eugene, OR)—> winner to play 1. Alabama in Tuscaloosa, AL
5. Texas A&M v 12. UAB (College Station, TX) —> winner to play 4. Notre Dame in South Bend, IN
7. Cincinnati v 10. Coastal Carolina (Cincinnati, OH) —> winner to play 2. Clemson in Clemson, SC
6. Oklahoma v 11. Ball State (Norman, OK) —> winner to play 3. Ohio State in Columbus, OH

Assuming higher seeds win you’d be left with 8 teams consisting of:

1. Alabama v 8. Oregon (Tuscaloosa, AL)
2. Clemson v 7. Cincinnati (Clemson, SC)
3. Ohio State v 6. Oklahoma (Columbus, OH)
4. Notre Dame v 5. Texas A&M (South Bend, IN)

16 team playoff with no byes:

1. Alabama v 16. UAB (Tuscaloosa, AL)
2. Clemson 15. Ball State (Clemson, SC)
3. Ohio State v 14. San Jose State (Columbus, OH)
4. Notre Dame v 13. Oregon (South Bend, IN)
5. Texas A&M v 12. Coastal Carolina (College Station, TX)
6. Oklahoma v 11. Indiana (Norman, OK)
7. Florida v 10 Iowa State (Gainesville, FL)
8. Cincinnati v 9. Georgia (Cincinnati, OH)

Assuming higher seeds win you’d be left with 8 teams consisting of:

1. Alabama v 8. Cincinnati (Tuscaloosa, AL)
2. Clemson v 7. Florida (Clemson, SC)
3. Ohio State v 6. Oklahoma (Columbus, OH)
4. Notre Dame v 5. Texas A&M (South Bend, IN)

Reaction Score
For all the talk and supposed analysis that said the college football national championships would be a ratings bonanza, the reality has been not quite as rosy. Basically, it has generally performed about as well as the BCS games, though not as well this year or last year and it has been losing viewers left and right. I suspect part is the general decline in sports viewership, part that you can’t have the same teams year in year out without people losing interest. And probably part is ESPN’s woes. And I suspect part is that exclusivity doesn’t necessarily result in people thinking you are better. They might just get bored. And finally, college football historically is about tradition. One huge one was New Year’s Day bowl games. And representing the Big 10 in the Rose Bowl or the SEC in the Sugar meant something for generations. Now the Rose Bowl might have Texas A&M against Clemson...not particularly meaningful for either team or either teams fans.

Reaction Score
Last year was not a good example year...but one example looks a little odd....

UAB plays at 6-3 but Louisiana, who was 10-1 and beat UAB at UAB, doesn't play. Louisiana also beat Iowa State, who you have playing.

and...

Do you really want to watch Alabama vs UAB or Clemson vs Ball State ? Maybe if you are the type who will watch hoping that a laugher with a 30 point underdog turns into a miracle upset.

Reaction Score

UAB plays at 6-3 but Louisiana, who was 10-1 and beat UAB at UAB, doesn't play. Louisiana also beat Iowa State, who you have playing.

and...

Do you really want to watch Alabama vs UAB or Clemson vs Ball State ? Maybe if you are the type who will watch hoping that a laugher with a 30 point underdog turns into a miracle upset.
I seem to recall Alabama getting into the 4 team playoff after losing to Auburn and NOT EVEN MAKING THE SEC championship game. Yo know what? Those things happen. Teams get in who don’t really deserve it and teams get left out who do. It happens in every post season. In basketball Georgetown got in. They were awful. Every now and then a team with a losing record gets in. I want to say Siena got in a few years back with like 6 wins but 4 in the MAAC tournament. And there will be any ear when 12-0 Clemson will lose to a team from the other division who bid like 7-5 and that team will get in.

Reaction Score
I seem to recall Alabama getting into the 4 team playoff after losing to Auburn and NOT EVEN MAKING THE SEC championship game. Yo know what? Those things happen. Teams get in who don’t really deserve it and teams get left out who do. It happens in every post season. In basketball Georgetown got in. They were awful. Every now and then a team with a losing record gets in. I want to say Siena got in a few years back with like 6 wins but 4 in the MAAC tournament. And there will be any ear when 12-0 Clemson will lose to a team from the other division who bid like 7-5 and that team will get in.

OK...you can watch Alabama-UAB and Clemson-Ball State, but not many of us will.....a
And football isn't basketball......Where, with 64 teams, you can cheer the Cinderella's who have a brief period in the spotlight before they exit the stage with zero chance of winning... based on history.

When Alabama lost to Auburn, they were still a one loss top four team...and beat a 12 win and 13 win team to win the national championship...they deserved to be in...the criteria is the best four teams, not necessarily being the conference champ...A 6-3 UAB is not one of the top 16 teams...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
None of this interests me. In the end, it's always going to be the same boring teams. Sorry, but watching Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, and a revolving team of Oklahoma or other SEC or B1G team is full. I don't care what players are on the team or if they are amazing. It's dull to have the same teams year in and year out.

Personally, I haven't watched one of these games since the second season because it's been the same each year. I have a feeling that viewership is declining for the same reason.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Bids should go to conference champions only, it places a huge emphasis on the regular season.

SEC, PAC12, BIG10, ACC, BIG12, and highest G5 team should go. Best two teams get byes.

Reaction Score
Well...the answer is....don't play the best teams for the national championship...just throw anyone in for "equity". If folks are bored because the best teams in the country are usually the same best teams.

Some of us get bored seeing the UConn women year in and out in the Final Four.....if excellence on the field or court is not a requirement, make the Final Four have rotating teams from four rotating conferences.

Reaction Score

and...

I’d rather watch UAB v Bama to see if they might put up a fight or pull an upset. One of the most entertaining games ever played was the OU -Boise State Fiesta Bowl. Most thought BSU would get smoked. That was worth sitting through ten years of follow-on duds. America still loves the underdog. That’s why the NCAA basketball tournament is beloved. The problem with College Football is they allowed a cartel to form and dictate the haves and have nots.

Reaction Score
Bids should go to conference champions only, it places a huge emphasis on the regular season.

SEC, PAC12, BIG10, ACC, BIG12, and highest G5 team should go. Best two teams get byes.

If you want to place emphasis on the regular season...you emphasize the body of work during the season....a 7 win team that upsets a 12 win team in the CCG, doesn't really have the body of work.

Example,,,When 8 win FSU upset 11 win VT in the CCG...FSU was champ, but VT was the better team, had the better season, and the better body of work....

Reaction Score
I’d rather watch UAB v Bama to see if they might put up a fight or pull an upset. One of the most entertaining games ever played was the OU -Boise State Fiesta Bowl. Most thought BSU would get smoked. That was worth sitting through ten years of follow-on duds. America still loves the underdog. That’s why the NCAA basketball tournament is beloved. The problem with College Football is they allowed a cartel to form and dictate the haves and have nots.

Boise State was 12-0...they were no UAB.

And who do you want to dictate the haves and have nots ? You could go to non human computers and they would end up the same....

Let's face it...you may be one of the people who really do not want the best teams to play for a championship...you want norming and maybe the pretense that anyone can win.

Like the Dance...although no team in seeds 9-16 has ever won and 87% of the winners are from seeds #1-3, we like to pretend....

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If you want to place emphasis on the regular season...you emphasize the body of work during the season....a 7 win team that upsets a 12 win team in the CCG, doesn't really have the body of work.

Example,,,When 8 win FSU upset 11 win VT in the CCG...FSU was champ, but VT was the better team, had the better season, and the better body of work....
Regular season champions then?

Reaction Score
Anything over 8 teams is too muddled down. I'd rather go back to 2 at that point.

Reaction Score
If the powers to be in college football Believe they can make more money by expanding the playoffs system versus the college bowl games then they will do it
The only thing to really decide it’s how they can ensure that all the power and the money stays with the power five conference

Reaction Score
Well...the answer is....don't play the best teams for the national championship...just throw anyone in for "equity". If folks are bored because the best teams in the country are usually the same best teams.

Some of us get bored seeing the UConn women year in and out in the Final Four.....if excellence on the field or court is not a requirement, make the Final Four have rotating teams from four rotating conferences.
No, but it’s a little hard to say that a team that didn’t win its league—didn’t even get to play in the game actually— is “ the best”. They were selected because they brought the best tv ratings. And pits not like the “top 4” is based on anything but opinion. The league championship game just becomes the “play in”.

Reaction Score
Just give every conference Champ a spot and have 6 at large bids
If UConn football has an undefeated season, with the schedules we're producing, we might have a shot at the playoffs under that format.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think eight is the best number. However, it should be all at-larges. No auto bids. The SEC, ACC, Big 10, and Big 12 champs are going to be among the top 8 every year and usually so will the Pac-12 champ. What I don't want to see is a one-loss G5 team in the playoff. You either need to be a P5 school or an undefeated G5 champion.

Reaction Score
No, but it’s a little hard to say that a team that didn’t win its league—didn’t even get to play in the game actually— is “ the best”. They were selected because they brought the best tv ratings. And pits not like the “top 4” is based on anything but opinion. The league championship game just becomes the “play in”.

Really...an Alabama, who you blithely say ""didn't win their league"...although it had a one loss record in the SEC, wasn't one of the top teams? They were selected because they were good...and beat two of the other top four to solidify that thought and win the NC....good grief.

Reaction Score
Give me the best teams...not some watered down format.

Basketball fans love the AQ format...and why not, with 64 in the tourney?

But football isn't basketball...

Now, if you want a separate tourney where 32 non top 7 teams vie to win to be the #8...I might find that entertaining. The five extra games before the Elite 8 might take a toll though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom