College football hot-seat check: Which jobs are in jeopardy, conference by conference (Yahoo Thamel w/ UConn mention) | The Boneyard

College football hot-seat check: Which jobs are in jeopardy, conference by conference (Yahoo Thamel w/ UConn mention)

Reaction Score
College football hot-seat check: Which jobs are in jeopardy, conference by conference

>>Halfway through the year, the optimism inherent to any college football season has collided with empirical results. And for many athletic directors, that means inboxes full of angry emails, promises not to renew season tickets and, subsequently, Pepto-inducing decisions on the future of head coaches.

While researching Jeremy Foley for a column earlier this week, an apt saying from early in his tenure at Florida stood out.

After firing a coach, Foley declared: “If something needs to be done eventually, it must be done immediately.” And that’s the uncomfortable reality that many athletic directors have as the fall chill settles in around the country. If things are trending toward not working out, can they afford another offseason of peddling hope to their fan base when that hope may not exist?

Here’s some insight into the decisions being made across college football:

>>UCONN – The Huskies administration showed it didn’t care about football when it went to the Big East and cast the sport into the independence wilderness. Don’t expect a change here with Randy Edsall, as UConn has so many costs associated with switching leagues that it’ll be happy to let football continue to atrophy.<<

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
>>UCONN – The Huskies administration showed it didn’t care about football when it went to the Big East and cast the sport into the independence wilderness. Don’t expect a change here with Randy Edsall, as UConn has so many costs associated with switching leagues that it’ll be happy to let football continue to atrophy.<<
This would make sense if HCREv2.0 was going to cost the school money to be let go, but he's free on 12/2.
So that gets us back to the other comment. “If something needs to be done eventually, it must be done immediately.” Does HCREv2.0 need to go eventually? I'm conflicted between him going now versus 1 more year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This would make sense if HCREv2.0 was going to cost the school money to be let go, but he's free on 12/2.
So that gets us back to the other comment. “If something needs to be done eventually, it must be done immediately.” Does HCREv2.0 need to go eventually? I'm conflicted between him going now versus 1 more year.
Three coaches in 9 years is a bad look. Randy should get at least one more. He's on the hot seat next season.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Three coaches in 9 years is a bad look. Randy should get at least one more. He's on the hot seat next season.
I think I agree, but it's obviously not a strong conviction. Even if there's progress next year, I still question whether he is the correct long term solution. I just don't think his old school football styling will work for us as a newly independent team.

Reaction Score
Only thing is if you get rid of him who comes. It’s like uofm people split on getting rid of harbaugh. If you get rid of jim h who do you get that’s a big name coach and better. So this is similar if you get rid of randy with what they are willing to pay who do you attract as a coach. A oc or dc from a bigger school a up and coming FCS or division 2 coach? Sometimes when you ask for something and get it the outcome is worse. Not to mention how long would it take to fill the position. With going Indy and no coach for a extended period of time I fee you’d lose the better players to the portal.

Reaction Score
Added to last post I’d go one more year on a short leash. If the long sided loses continue and your say 0-6 do it mid season next year

Reaction Score
Thamel is a Putz ... and biased to Syracuse

Let’s see if he continues to keep jobs

Reaction Score
That's why I believe the UMass game is so important both for Jack Zergiotis and for Edsall. We need to win that game. Win and the argument of a maturing team next year might be a plausible reason to keep RE after 12/2. Lose and go winless thereafter makes 12/2 more ominous. My bet is that we win Saturday, Jack Zergiotis shines, and Edsall survives for next year. Makes for an interesting trip to Amherst.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Edsall needs to stay because:
  • the program is heading in the right direction (slowly)
  • we need stability in the head coach position
  • we will not get any interest from a better coach until we get our conference situation sorted

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Edsall needs to stay because:
  • the program is heading in the right direction (slowly)
  • we need stability in the head coach position
  • we will not get any interest from a better coach until we get our conference situation sorted
Conference situation? Staying independent for the foreseeable future..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom