College Championship Memories March On For Charlotte Hornets | The Boneyard

College Championship Memories March On For Charlotte Hornets

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
College Championship Memories March On For Charlotte Hornets | Charlotte Hornets

It’s the last weekend in March and the Charlotte Hornets are getting set to host the Phoenix Suns in a rare Sunday afternoon affair. Kemba Walker is going through his normal pregame routine as a video montage featuring several Hornets players during their collegiate careers begins rolling on the arena’s main scoreboard. He looks up to see a younger version of himself clutching the NCAA Tournament trophy while playing for the University of Connecticut, causing a smile to break out on the Charlotte point guard’s face. It’s a memory that never gets old for Walker as he pauses for a few more seconds before shifting his focus back to free-throw shooting.

One year later, Walker and Jeremy Lamb were part of a Connecticut team that pulled off one of the most improbable runs in NCAA Tournament history. The ninth seed in the Big East Tournament, the Huskies rolled off a stunning five wins in five days to unexpectedly claim their conference championship. The momentum continued into the NCAA Tournament as Connecticut pieced together another six-straight victories, including a title game triumph over Butler, en route to the school’s third National Championship.

“[I think] about it all the time,” said Walker, who was named Most Outstanding Player of the 2011 Tournament. “Ever since it ended, I find myself looking back and watching old games and things like that. I miss it, of course. It was just some really fun times. It’s always cool to go back and watch some old games and things like that. Having Jeremy here helps too because we talk about it all the time.”

Lamb chimed in, “To win a National Championship, it was an amazing experience. I would love to experience that again. It’s good watching the tournament, bringing back memories like that.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog
Top Bottom