College basketball rule changes up for debate | The Boneyard

College basketball rule changes up for debate

Reaction Score
The NCAA men's basketball rules committee is meeting over the next three days to review 13 possible rule changes. If you're interested this is a good article summarizing what they will be discussing and which possible rule changes have a good chance of being adopted.

Reaction Score
“If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. “
Changes should be marginal and in response to address a recent trend in the game. Few major changes are really positive.
However:
I’m old enough enough to remember the old
ABA
They had a couple of differences to the NBA game
The red ,white, and blue basketball and the three point shot.
One was a gimmick which never sustain in the long run and the other added a significant dimension to the game .
I watched the Nets because they had Super John , and the most exciting playing in BB Dr J
In a game they were trailing by 11 closing in on the minute Mark
The Good Dr hit a 3 now it’s 8
A stop and he comes down and hits another 5 points
Same thing again and it’s 2 points
The Nets get the ball back and he hits a three at the buzzer for the win.
I knew at that point a something had been added to the game and it would never be the same.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
One rule I would like to see changed is similar to a soccer rule. If there is advantage after a foul is committed, the ref doesn’t stop play but allows the play to continue. For basketball, if a team throws up a shot and it doesn’t hit rim while the shot clock expires and the opposing team rebounds the ball, that team should be allowed to play if there is an advantage

Reaction Score
If a team has the ball in the backcourt one second away from a ten second violation and calls time out they get a new 10 seconds. Not right.
Also, I am real old school and hate the 3 point shot, the game is becoming a 3 point shooting contest.
How about if they enforce the rule where you can't travel when inbounding the ball unless it's after a made basket.
Call charges on who initiates the contact.
Don't allow dribblers to push away the defender.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
If a team has the ball in the backcourt one second away from a ten second violation and calls time out they get a new 10 seconds. Not right.
Also, I am real old school and hate the 3 point shot, the game is becoming a 3 point shooting contest.
How about if they enforce the rule where you can't travel when inbounding the ball unless it's after a made basket.
Good points. I recall some years ago on ESPN Dick Vitale explained how he didn't care for the 3 pointer. He said it takes away from the inside game, where many battles are fought. Didn't realize that on the 10 second violation. I guess the rule figures you burned a timeout. Called charges always baffled me to be honest. The push off needs to be dealt with. Shades of Gillespie. Extremely obvious. He is coming back, let's see what happens.

Reaction Score
There is no such rule about travelling while inbounding ball. In fact, the rules very specifically state that travelling and dribbling rules do not apply to an inbounder. The only rule for the player throwing in the ball is that if it is a spot throw in, they are confined to a 3 foot wide designated space (1.5 to the left and 1.5 to the right), with no limit on how far back they can go.

Reaction Score
I'm just glad that they are acknowledging that college officials have not been enforcing the travelling rule properly. I am hopeful that this will have a trickle down effect to the high school level because the majority of spin moves that players at the high school level and below attempt to execute are in fact a travel if you know how to identify the pivot foot properly. Everyone screams and yells when it is called at that level because they don't realize that the rule is in fact different in high school than it is in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Here are the 5 rule changes that will be recommended for next season. One will be experimental only in the NIT Tournament.
  • Flopping can result in a technical foul
  • Increase to six fouls, with a maximum of four fouls allowed per half (experimental in NIT)
  • Allowance at the league level for coaches to use technology, live statistics and video on the bench
  • Team timeouts can serve as/replace media timeouts
  • Shot clocks will now be able to display tenths of a second

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nothing too drastic in there, the 6 fouls is probably the most radical one in there and I'd be fine with that

Reaction Score
The ten second rule/timeout thing always bothered me as well. I would be fine if the offensive team was given 5 seconds after the timeout.

The thing I hate is how the 'points of emphasis' are dropped at the end of the year. I'd like to see the illegal picked called consistently. Feet no wider than the shoulders of the setter, and straight up.

Guys who blatantly hang on the rim lose the bucket besides the technical. Many players care about stats and really wouldn't like losing the 2 points from their total.

And let's make the players on the ball whether offensive or defensive play without pushing off/hand checking.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'm just glad that they are acknowledging that college officials have not been enforcing the travelling rule properly. I am hopeful that this will have a trickle down effect to the high school level because the majority of spin moves that players at the high school level and below attempt to execute are in fact a travel if you know how to identify the pivot foot properly. Everyone screams and yells when it is called at that level because they don't realize that the rule is in fact different in high school than it is in the NBA.

And the euro step.

But amen brother.

Traveling makes me hate officiating. You call it by the book and everyone gets confused because everyone thinks the NBA rules apply to them.

the Q

Reaction Score
So basically they're just eliminating traveling.

Unless you legit pick the ball up and carry it like a running back...yes.

The last proposal I saw said you’d get two steps after the pivot foot, so in effect you’d get 3 steps. If you travel on that, you suck. But I know the Bobby knight video I’ve posted here multiple times before shows how even guys line Hansbrough and Blake griffin would’ve violated that rule if it was around for them. Lol

the Q

Reaction Score
And widen the lane? That’s idiotic.

Narrow it to 8 feet. Watch post basketball come back

Reaction Score
TImeouts called when a player barely has possession of a loose ball during a scramble is so suspect. Should be a 2 second rule or something.

Also award the defensive team with possession when creating a held ball (from a steal/block) instead of going to the arrow for possession.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
“If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. “
Changes should be marginal and in response to address a recent trend in the game. Few major changes are really positive.
However:
I’m old enough enough to remember the old
ABA
They had a couple of differences to the NBA game
The red ,white, and blue basketball and the three point shot.
One was a gimmick which never sustain in the long run and the other added a significant dimension to the game .
I watched the Nets because they had Super John , and the most exciting playing in BB Dr J
In a game they were trailing by 11 closing in on the minute Mark
The Good Dr hit a 3 now it’s 8
A stop and he comes down and hits another 5 points
Same thing again and it’s 2 points
The Nets get the ball back and he hits a three at the buzzer for the win.
I knew at that point a something had been added to the game and it would never be the same.
I have mixed emotions reading this thread. I want to make a joke about Abe Simpson yelling at clouds, or old guys carping about people being on their lawns, and yet I find myself agreeing with several of the traditionalist complaints.

Having thus self-claimed "old" status, I'm reminded of a Christmas vacation visit to Long Island, and going to the Nassau Coliseum to see Julius Erving in a Nets game, complete with red, white, and blue basketball.

My dearest college friend was then undergoing chemo for testicular cancer. In addition to the awesome light-infused blond aura that his thinned-out hair created, his throat was swollen & sore from the drugs, so that he could barely talk. In the noisy arena setting, he was limited to scribbling notes, and the best that day was a simple, "Yay!" after a spectacular Dr. J dunk.Grateful that he is a 46 year survivor, and counting.

Reaction Score
Why even consider eliminating the 10 second backcourt rule. Thought they want to speed the game up. Make it 8 seconds.

the Q

Reaction Score
TImeouts called when a player barely has possession of a loose ball during a scramble is so suspect. Should be a 2 second rule or something.

Also award the defensive team with possession when creating a held ball (from a steal/block) instead of going to the arrow for possession.

Totally agreed. Both of those are problems.

Coaches also shouldn’t be able to call time out.

Reaction Score
The ten second rule/timeout thing always bothered me as well. I would be fine if the offensive team was given 5 seconds after the timeout.

The thing I hate is how the 'points of emphasis' are dropped at the end of the year. I'd like to see the illegal picked called consistently. Feet no wider than the shoulders of the setter, and straight up.

Guys who blatantly hang on the rim lose the bucket besides the technical. Many players care about stats and really wouldn't like losing the 2 points from their total.

And let's make the players on the ball whether offensive or defensive play without pushing off/hand checking.
This rule can go into effect after Squirrel is done playing at UConn, thank you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom