College athletes feeling the love/hate on Twitter | The Boneyard

College athletes feeling the love/hate on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“You’re the worst kicker in Alabama history.”

“Don’t come back to campus.”

The Twitter volcano had erupted, spewing vicious words onto Cade Foster.

“Drink bleach.”

“I’m gonna kill you and your family.”

The 22-year-old senior had missed three field goals against Auburn in 2013, helping cost Alabama a shot at a third consecutive national title. Over the next 24 hours, his Twitter handle (@Foster_43) drew more than 12,000 mentions.

Athletes have long been trained to ignore newspaper coverage and talk radio, to avoid criticism and block out the noise after the games end. But the proliferation of Twitter and the social media platform’s 302 million users allows vitriol to hit people in a place that’s hard to avoid, especially for this phone-clutching generation of college athletes.

http://www.startribune.com/college-athletes-feeling-the-love-and-hate-on-twitter/304836191/

Reaction Score
It's definitely gotten very bad. I noticed a lot of this after Diamond Stone committed to Maryland - a lot of the hate came from Wisconsin fans but still. Though, most big-time athletes know what they're getting into with Twitter and no doubt their coaches have warned them about social media. There's really no solution to it. You either ignore it or you get off Twitter.

Reaction Score
I've never understood people who attack college athletes on Twitter. Seems really petty and like you should find something better to do with your life.
Don't tell that to VCU fans; that's how they (momentarily) won Mack.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's just a case where people feel that their need to vent frustration over an ultimately meaningless sporting event is more important than the mental well-being of a real person who is being flooded with negativity.

Reaction Score
Yeah the comments on social media are pretty disturbing overall. Positive fanboy-ism is one thing, but being completely rude and awful to anyone on there is pretty low, like you have nothing you'd rather do with your day than type out awful things to people who don't care what you think?

I recently saw some of this dumb internet rage on instagram. One of the models I follow suddenly had all of these awful comments calling her a wh*re and stuff of that nature... turns out she started dating the drummer of some band that is massively popular with teen girls. So tons of teen girls comment on a bathing suit model's pictures calling her awful things because she's dating a grown man they fantasize about... its really pathetic and sad

Reaction Score
Yeah the comments on social media are pretty disturbing overall. Positive fanboy-ism is one thing, but being completely rude and awful to anyone on there is pretty low, like you have nothing you'd rather do with your day than type out awful things to people who don't care what you think?

I recently saw some of this dumb internet rage on instagram. One of the models I follow suddenly had all of these awful comments calling her a wh*re and stuff of that nature... turns out she started dating the drummer of some band that is massively popular with teen girls. So tons of teen girls comment on a bathing suit model's pictures calling her awful things because she's dating a grown man they fantasize about... its really pathetic and sad
I think it's because that behavior is basically expected of little girls (jealousy is a feminine emotion) is why it's so pathetic when grown-ass men do it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Barkley went off about fans today on the herd. He was spot on. I love chuck

Reaction Score
No it's not. Some men are very jealous.
Did I say men are incapable of feeling feminine emotions?

Notice I made a gender distinction, not a sex distinction. There are absolutely men who are dominated by jealousy; I'd simply say they are more effeminate than men who tend to not be as jealous.

Reaction Score
Perception. Jealousy and envy are perceived as feminine emotions.
Because the more masculine thing to do, rather than talk and try to in some way affect someone's social standing in such a way (which tends to be a woman's attack plan), is to do something about it when something makes them feel insecure.

Reaction Score
Seems like a no-true-scotsman thing you've got going on.

"Jealousy is feminine."
"But plenty of men are jealous."
"Well, only the effeminate ones."

So, you're not a "real" man if you are jealous, thereby preserving your assessment of it as a feminine trait.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Way before Twitter, the guy who I think might have absorbed the most fan based internet vitriol was Chris Simms, when he replaced Major Applewhite.

Does anyone else remember "BringBackTheMajor?"

Reaction Score
No it's not. Some men are very jealous.
Agree but its not 'some men' its a lot of men. Let me get a new car, a nice house, nice outfit, job promotion, high end phone/computer, pretty secretary, cash windfall, etc... Contrary to what anyone says here men certainly get jealous especially when it comes to material things. When a neighbor gets a new car it ain't the wife clamoring to replace the one they got.

Jealousy is a human emotion neither masculine or feminine. Its evident in the animal world as well.

Reaction Score
Seems like a no-true-scotsman thing you've got going on.

"Jealousy is feminine."
"But plenty of men are jealous."
"Well, only the effeminate ones."

So, you're not a "real" man if you are jealous, thereby preserving your assessment of it as a feminine trait.
Or maybe it's just a sliding scale rather than a dichotomy. Never said anything about a "real man"

We all have feminine traits and tendencies (and all women can demonstrate some masculine traits and tendencies); some moreso than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom