Cole -- Unsung Hero of the Game | The Boneyard

Cole -- Unsung Hero of the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Amidst the praise for Martin and Whaley, the savior of last night's game seems to have been overlooked.

At the 13.51 mark of the second half, the 19-point lead had been reduced to three at 40-37. UConn was fully on the run. The UHart coach had his bench standing and cheering. Hurley started to signal a time-out, paused, Cole took advantage to drill a three from the top of the key. Lead back to six. UConn made a stop. Cole brought the ball up, saw a open lane on the left side, drove to the basket. Lead back to eight. UConn made a stop. Bouk turned the ball over. UConn made another stop. Cole brought the ball up, slipped a seeing-eye one-bouncer to Sanogo to the left of the basket. Lead back to ten. Threat over.

Net-net, it was Cole who stepped up and delivered when the game was on the line. There is no question we have an alternative to Bouk when the someone needs to take charge.

Reaction Score
Agreed. The offense had not scored in the 2nd half except for two free throws from Whaley if I remember correctly. That mini-run kept UH at a distance.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I like Cole's offense. He makes good decisions and can shoot. His defense, on the other hand, is a different story through 2 games.

Reaction Score
Cole has a beautiful effortless jumper that’s going to carry us through some offensive droughts. Only thing is going to be his size when driving to the hoop and also his defense. But he can potentially be a 30 pt game guy if he’s hot

Reaction Score
Cole has a beautiful effortless jumper that’s going to carry us through some offensive droughts. Only thing is going to be his size when driving to the hoop and also his defense. But he can potentially be a 30 pt game guy if he’s hot

Agree on all points. Offensively, he's a clear step-up from Alterique, a far better shooter, smarter passer, probably no worse a finisher and, importantly, a less moody team leader. On the other hand, his handle is suspect and his defense a known weakness. Still, a flurry of threes has a way of offsetting a defensive lapse or two.

Reaction Score
I like Cole but I'm starting to think he's more like Karl Hobbs than Khalid. Love both, but he's more of a spot creator and shooter than a game changer, despite the good sequence noted. Time will tell. Martin on the other hand needs to be on the court more. We were sloppy last night and Hurley has to sort the lineup and rethink some sets on offense. The defense is probably a combination of lack of practice and familiarity with each other. When we shake off the rust and make better decisions on positioning that will improve. And we had Akok erasing a lot of mistakes last year along with Vital cleaning up.

Reaction Score
I like Cole but I'm starting to think he's more like Karl Hobbs than Khalid. Love both, but he's more of a spot creator and shooter than a game changer, despite the good sequence noted. Time will tell. Martin on the other hand needs to be on the court more. We were sloppy last night and Hurley has to sort the lineup and rethink some sets on offense. The defense is probably a combination of lack of practice and familiarity with each other. When we shake off the rust and make better decisions on positioning that will improve. And we had Akok erasing a lot of mistakes last year along with Vital cleaning up.

It's early and things can change but I'm seeing the same thing. Cole is a score first point guard. He has a great looking stroke. He is much stronger than he looks. He can take contact and still finish at the rim.

His assist to turnover ration is 7-6 and it needs to improve. But I also agree with the orignal post. He knew when the team needed him and responded.

Reaction Score
Forgive me if this was mentioned on a different thread, but has anyone else noticed that RJ has thrown a few passes that just look completely lackadaisical? There’s been a few times where he’s thrown passes that almost look lazy that have lead to turnovers. Nothing that can’t be fixed, just an observation. I absolutely love this kids upside. Great on offense/shooting. I saw so many comments in the off-season about concerns over how his success at Howard would transfer to a high major D1 school and I think he’s already proven those people wrong. Lots of work to be done but I like him and Gaff at the 1.

Reaction Score
Forgive me if this was mentioned on a different thread, but has anyone else noticed that RJ has thrown a few passes that just look completely lackadaisical? There’s been a few times where he’s thrown passes that almost look lazy that have lead to turnovers. Nothing that can’t be fixed, just an observation. I absolutely love this kids upside. Great on offense/shooting. I saw so many comments in the off-season about concerns over how his success at Howard would transfer to a high major D1 school and I think he’s already proven those people wrong. Lots of work to be done but I like him and Gaff at the 1.
I also noticed this happen once or twice. I'm betting that the lack of practice and first-game adrenaline were the culprits, not an overall lack of skill or awareness. If it recurs then I'll be concerned, but I'm definitely not right now. Agreed that he's clearly a high level D1 player.

Reaction Score
The offensive spurt by Cole is why I actually like him better off the bench. I do think he has one to two spurts like that per game and I like him better as a score first mentality point guard than I do as a distributor.

I actually agree. I think Cole should be spotted for just such moments as occurred against UHart. It would be a mistake anyway, I think, to build this young team around Cole at PG. It should be built around a more natural distributor like Gaffney. Think of next year when Diggins comes in. This is a guy who could start at PG for 3/4 of the teams in D-1, Is he to become the 3rd PG behind Cole and Gaffney? How does that work? No, he should come in as Gaffney's backup, with Cole relegated strictly to the John Gwynn "microwave" role. Coaches are reluctant to sacrifice the present for the future, but if you believe, as I do, that next year is our real shot at the NC, then Gaffney has to be developed this year.

Reaction Score
I actually agree. I think Cole should be spotted for just such moments as occurred against UHart. It would be a mistake anyway, I think, to build this young team around Cole at PG. It should be built around a more natural distributor like Gaffney. Think of next year when Diggins comes in. This is a guy who could start at PG for 3/4 of the teams in D-1, Is he to become the 3rd PG behind Cole and Gaffney? How does that work? No, he should come in as Gaffney's backup, with Cole relegated strictly to the John Gwynn "microwave" role. Coaches are reluctant to sacrifice the present for the future, but if you believe, as I do, that next year is our real shot at the NC, then Gaffney has to be developed this year.
Thinking about next year already?

Reaction Score
Experience of Cole and Martin is something Hurley will go to in times of stress , can see it already.

Reaction Score

Cole is light years better as a scorer than Karl Hobbs was, and I was a big fan of Hobbs. Don't be surprised if Cole puts up multiple 20 plus point games this year.

Reaction Score
How has he proven people wrong? We have played 2 low mid majors and he has been ok. Hardly dominant. Nice outside shot but he gets in trouble around the rim and is at best an adequate distributor. Against Central and Hartford. Not Kansas and Kentucky. He has some skills but his size will be a problem and his defense will be a problem. He is more likely to be John Gwynn than either Hobbs (not a good enough ball handler) or el Amin (come on! Best point guard in UConn history) by season’s end. FWIW, if we are going to play Like we did against UH all year we won’t have to worry about the cancellation of the Tournament again. We won’t be there anyway.

Reaction Score
The offensive spurt by Cole is why I actually like him better off the bench. I do think he has one to two spurts like that per game and I like him better as a score first mentality point guard than I do as a distributor.
Exactly! I like Gaff playing with Bouk...Shouldn't have a score first PG playing with Bouk IMO. If Cole has a 7/6 A./TO ratio against this comp, how will it get better against good teams? Also, if AJ is a good passer, having him on the court with Cole seems to make sense...Cole isn't that athletic and is only 6'1. Pair him with Jackson and you have a stellar 6'6 athletic marvel who can pass with a volume shooter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How has he proven people wrong? We have played 2 low mid majors and he has been ok. Hardly dominant. Nice outside shot but he gets in trouble around the rim and is at best an adequate distributor. Against Central and Hartford. Not Kansas and Kentucky. He has some skills but his size will be a problem and his defense will be a problem. He is more likely to be John Gwynn than either Hobbs (not a good enough ball handler) or el Amin (come on! Best point guard in UConn history) by season’s end. FWIW, if we are going to play Like we did against UH all year we won’t have to worry about the cancellation of the Tournament again. We won’t be there anyway.
Do you look at RJ so far and think that he doesn’t fit in and should be at a lower tier school? Obviously, as with lots of players right now, there are things to improve on and kinks to be worked out, but I am 100% enthusiastic about his future at a high major school. I don’t look at him and think he should have stayed at Howard cause he fit better there, he is playing at the level he deserves to be playing at. That’s not to say there’s not room for improvement.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
One thing we should all be aware of by now is that veteran guards win you games in college hoops. That's why I have no issues with Hurley largely targeting PGs who rank outside the top 50, and are likely to be 3- or 4-year players, and don't necessarily project as great NBA guys.

Gimme a steady stream of vet PGs to run the show. Aim for 5-star wings and bigs IMO.

Reaction Score
One thing we should all be aware of by now is that veteran guards win you games in college hoops. That's why I have no issues with Hurley largely targeting PGs who rank outside the top 50, and are likely to be 3- or 4-year players, and don't necessarily project as great NBA guys.

Gimme a steady stream of vet PGs to run the show. Aim for 5-star wings and bigs IMO.
Also helps to have veteran guards at the foul line making free throws in crunch time..

Reaction Score

avery brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger