Coach's Show | The Boneyard

Coach's Show

Reaction Score
What can one expect? Worth attending? Is it all just a pitch to donate to Foundation?

Reaction Score
Was at NYC show, hung out with Hurley and Geno and thought both were great. Everyone was friendly and engaging. They're out there chatting most of the time except when they have to get on stage and speak. Didn't think the donating pitch was bad, it was more "attend the games".

Reaction Score
I decided to pony up the $25 to go to the Coach’s show in Hartford today hoping to get cheered up at a pep rally and to make me feel good about the continued money I sink into the program for donation and tickets – I wish I didn’t go - it was far from a pep rally.

The attendance was not very good, I am guessing in the 50 to 75 people range. The good thing was access to the coaches. I actually rode in an elevator with Geno. The hockey coach, Danny and Randy were there only surrounded by a few people and you could have a lengthy conversation with any of them.

Then the show started. A nice presentation of the new facilities being built, followed by a panel of the women’s soccer coach, the men’s hockey coach, Danny, Randy and Geno. The moderator started off with questions regarding kids coming into the program today being specialized one sport athletes and the first ½ hour plus turned into a bitching session by the coaches about how the kids aren’t as good as the used to be in the “old days” are not well rounded, ect, ect, their job is now harder, they are coaching but the kids don’t listen.

Some other highlights,
  • Randy at some point shrugged his shoulders and laughed – “I guess we can’t get any worse.”
  • Someone from the audience asked if any of the coaches reads the boneyard. Geno said he didn’t but people tell him what is said on there. He basically said those people are morons and have zero basketball intelligence.
It ended with bitch session about the fair weather fan base. Hurley complained that he has a small window of games to invite recruits to. A recruit will go to a game in Syracuse against North Carolina with 30,000 in the Carrier Dome, he can’t then have them come here and see 5,000 in the stands against East Carolina. Geno then complained that he went on 90+ then a 100+ game winning streak, and attendance keeps going down.

I left at that point. The few people in that room were the hard core fans buying tickets and donating money. We didn’t need to be lectured about how hard their job is because of today’s kids or the dwindling fan base, we get it the situation sucks.

I was expecting a feel good pep rally. It would have been nice to hear how they are righting the ship, to make me feel better about being one of the fans who hasn’t abandoned the ship yet.

From this show I got the feeling the coaches are not convinced it is going to get better any time soon.

Reaction Score
  • Someone from the audience asked if any of the coaches reads the boneyard. Geno said he didn’t but people tell him what is said on there. He basically said those people are morons and have zero basketball intelligence.

Spot on

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I went to the one in NYC with a buddy. Got to talk to Hurley for a few minutes and enjoyed some food and beers for a few hours.

It's certainly not a life changing event, but let's face it, we're all guys on a UConn message board with thousands of posts, you'll enjoy it.

Reaction Score
I guess I’ll check out the one tonight since I live around the corner.

Reaction Score
I decided to pony up the $25 to go to the Coach’s show in Hartford today hoping to get cheered up at a pep rally and to make me feel good about the continued money I sink into the program for donation and tickets – I wish I didn’t go - it was far from a pep rally.

The attendance was not very good, I am guessing in the 50 to 75 people range. The good thing was access to the coaches. I actually rode in an elevator with Geno. The hockey coach, Danny and Randy were there only surrounded by a few people and you could have a lengthy conversation with any of them.

Then the show started. A nice presentation of the new facilities being built, followed by a panel of the women’s soccer coach, the men’s hockey coach, Danny, Randy and Geno. The moderator started off with questions regarding kids coming into the program today being specialized one sport athletes and the first ½ hour plus turned into a bitching session by the coaches about how the kids aren’t as good as the used to be in the “old days” are not well rounded, ect, ect, their job is now harder, they are coaching but the kids don’t listen.

Some other highlights,
  • Randy at some point shrugged his shoulders and laughed – “I guess we can’t get any worse.”
It ended with bitch session about the fair weather fan base. Hurley complained that he has a small window of games to invite recruits to. A recruit will go to a game in Syracuse against North Carolina with 30,000 in the Carrier Dome, he can’t then have them come here and see 5,000 in the stands against East Carolina. Geno then complained that he went on 90+ then a 100+ game winning streak, and attendance keeps going down.

I left at that point. The few people in that room were the hard core fans buying tickets and donating money. We didn’t need to be lectured about how hard their job is because of today’s kids or the dwindling fan base, we get it the situation sucks.

I was expecting a feel good pep rally. It would have been nice to hear how they are righting the ship, to make me feel better about being one of the fans who hasn’t abandoned the ship yet.

From this show I got the feeling the coaches are not convinced it is going to get better any time soon.
So basically you got the feeling that the coaches are all miserable.......great

Reaction Score
Also went to the Torrington event last night. Worth every penny of the $25. Wedding-style appetizers coming around with respectable drink selection. Coaches were all approachable and generous with their time. Danny showed me his phone wallpaper and it’s the Memphis Marriott from the morning after they were crushed by Houston in the AAC tournament. He said that every time he thinks he’s too tired to call a recruit he looks at that photo and is reminded of how badly it stung getting decimated by a far better team. Came away impressed with how honest and direct he is. I asked about the leadership on this year’s team and Vital’s role as a mentor for the young guys. He cited CV’s work ethic and the need for him to harness, focus his energy on positive playmaking. Pretty cool event.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Also went to the Torrington event last night. Worth every penny of the $25. Wedding-style appetizers coming around with respectable drink selection. Coaches were all approachable and generous with their time. Danny showed me his phone wallpaper and it’s the Memphis Marriott from the morning after they were crushed by Houston in the AAC tournament. He said that every time he thinks he’s too tired to call a recruit he looks at that photo and is reminded of how badly it stung getting decimated by a far better team. Came away impressed with how honest and direct he is. I asked about the leadership on this year’s team and Vital’s role as a mentor for the young guys. He cited CV’s work ethic and the need for him to harness, focus his energy on positive playmaking. Pretty cool event.
The best part about Hurley, is even if he fails, we know he'll give it every ounce of effort possible. And the guys will feed off that, we shouldn't be out worked moving forward.

Reaction Score
So basically you got the feeling that the coaches are all miserable..great

They are bitching about their job just like every other person with a job does. I wouldn’t look too deeply into it. It’s better than being disinterested in their job.

Reaction Score
fair weather fan base. Hurley complained that he has a small window of games to invite recruits to. A recruit will go to a game in Syracuse against North Carolina with 30,000 in the Carrier Dome, he can’t then have them come here and see 5,000 in the stands against East Carolina. Geno then complained that he went on 90+ then a 100+ game winning streak, and attendance keeps going down.

Winning solves all. I do think UConn has a more fickle fan base than most, but we need to schedule marquee games in the non conference and pack those. I was at the Arizona game this year and the atmosphere was great. The crowd tried to will UConn to win that game, but they didnt and it was a huge momentum killer. You have to win those kind of games if you want attendance to increase.

He needs to build the fanbase in the non-conference, and for the love of god, make the students section better.

Reaction Score
C

Chief00

Some other highlights,

Lack of a plan, sums it up. When you don’t have a good plan with goals you are charting your progress toward - it nosedives into an excuse session.
Who fault is it the home schedule has been poor? It’s not the fans, it’s the guys scheduling OOC games. They aren’t getting their jobs done. No more complicated than that. Fire them and get someone who can.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom