Coach's Radio Show | The Boneyard

Coach's Radio Show

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Disagree. A wealth of information over the entire show. Alot of historical info in the 1st half and a quick comment on how Duquense played 3 pt defense and left Katie Lou open so much. They were horrible.

Reaction Score
I don't know if "times have changed" as Geno claims or if the UConn players now play with all that history and expectations behind them. It's impossible for Geno, who is living within the system, to know the difference between it's the "times" or whether UConn players are now conditioned by acknowledged expectations.

"Don't want to mention any names because I doesn't want to make anyone feel bad"??? I know who's changed: it's Geno!!!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't know if "times have changed" as Geno claims or if the UConn players now play with all that history and expectations behind them. It's impossible for Geno, who is living within the system, to know the difference between it's the "times" or whether UConn players are now conditioned by acknowledged expectations.

"Don't want to mention any names because I doesn't want to make anyone feel bad"??? I know who's changed: it's Geno!!!
Correct, Geno would have said who it was a few years ago. He would have used it as a motivator.

Reaction Score
Cool to learn Debbie is from the high school in the town next to us... and the "big rival" for the HS in my town.

Reaction Score
Basically what I heard Geno say in this was that the team still has not learned its lesson from the Mississippi State game. As great as this team looks on paper, and there were many calling it Geno's best team ever, they will never be as good as the Taurasi, Moore, or Stewie teams that had that killer instinct.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Basically what I heard Geno say in this was that the team still has not learned its lesson from the Mississippi State game...

Possibly so, but let’s keep in mind that Geno is a master of overstatement, understatement, and full-on hyperbole.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Basically what I heard Geno say in this was that the team still has not learned its lesson from the Mississippi State game. As great as this team looks on paper, and there were many calling it Geno's best team ever, they will never be as good as the Taurasi, Moore, or Stewie teams that had that killer instinct.
Yeah, and they are still struggling with end-of-game situations. This is a very good team, but they still have things they need to clean up.

Reaction Score

I think a lot of that lies on the defensive end. Let's be honest, according to UConn standards this is not a very good defensive basketball team right now. The great teams from the past had that killer instinct once they smelled blood in the water and put games away early by breaking a team's will on the defensive end. This team just knows how good they are offensively, it seems like they have the mindset of "oh well we just gave up an easy bucket but we will get it back on the other end". Past great UConn teams would take it personally if they got scored on and 25-0 and 32-2 runs were commonplace. It's like they almost enjoyed making opposing teams quit. That is what this team is lacking, but I think that once March comes around the UConn defensive beast of old will be awakened!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Remember when we collectively thought this was going to be a killer pressing team? According to Geno not so much. They aren't calling him up asking to press more! A wit to the end.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting take on using the press and how three point shooting has changed the risk/reward equation for pressing - not something I had thought about.

I also think comments about this team vs. other teams are a bit of revisionist history and willful blindness to what this team is accomplishing. How much of a killer instinct did Stewart's team have when they lost a lead and the game to Stanford? Or when DT's team lost the BE tournament game, or ... And alternatively - is it a big deal that Uconn has lost a few 4th quarters this year because they played their freshman and sophomores against ranked team's starters when they had already blown out those starters through three quarters?

We have started in on the section of the season where 40+ point games will be the norm having gone through the tougher OOC section with a MOV of 28.7. The stats each year and how they rank year to year have a lot to do with how many players are sitting on the bench - the more players, the more minutes played by non-primary rotation players. Already this year the bench minutes are up to 17.3 from 16.1 for the full year last year and that increase will grow through the conference games. (Against Memphis it was up to 28%)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom