Coach's Corner: "Geno sez"......and some of you folks say..... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coach's Corner: "Geno sez"......and some of you folks say.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From one curmudgeon to another: Gotta love ya despite yourself.
You stay well, pulse or no pulse....blood to the brain or no blood to the brain.

(By the way, did you know that Hank's now-Okla State did really used to be Oklahoma A&M in the old days? The Aggies like Tex A&M.

Reaction Score
After a couple of reviews of the ND tape, Coach isolates three concerns: (1) offensive rebounding, (2) free throw opps and makes, (3) 3-point makes. Your take on each? Your take on the importance of each vs. other aspects of the ND game?

Here's mine: 1. I agree with Coach on the ORs. A concern of mine all year. In fact, I posted on this many weeks back after a game in which the opps were getting multiple shots per possession. Despite some terrific board work, ESPECIALLY by Faris and Lewis, this lack of success on the ORs has been apparent more often than not. We have three coaches that relate to our bigs. To me, rebounding is largely a combination of effort and savvy (size sure helps, obviously, as does agility). What is wrong in this area as you folks see it?

2. Agree with Coach again. But what are the reasons for the problem?? (For just one thing, I'd note that it is somewhat rare to get to the line when you are hoisting up threes. I'm not against the three, especially when you have talented shooters like we have.....just noting the relevance of this variable.)

3. Well, maybe not our best day from long range, but i haven't look at the relevant stats. I know and we all know that even a great shooting club will have off nights from out there. So, what do you do to compensate? I didn't think this was a huge factor.

Overall, my observations were that there were other areas even more critical in this very disappointing loss. A. An old refrain with me (and I don't need lectures on high-post play, opening up space for back-door cuts, etc.....I probably had about as much experience in such an offense as the median poster on this board), is that our post players seems to be too far outside WAY too much of the time, once again. And this time we got burned.....again. At least, from what I've been reading on here, I'm not the lone voice in the wilderness at this point on this issue. I do think Stewart has a more consistent shot from out there than Dolson......but Dolson seems WAY more effective down low for the most part......(I don't meaning just standing down there like a statue....I mean rotating down there aggessively, positioning herself for her impressive high-percentage shots.....best when she moves down there WITHOUT dribbling the damn ball, though she has improved in that this year). They both get their pockets picked outside also......just something to take into account.
B. Another old refrain of mine where I'm glad to see that others are making some similar observations at this point (include in those "others" Coach and CD sr): Hartley is not "all that" at all times and in all ways.....anymore than any of the rest of us are. She was only off the floor for one minute, I think. And yet our offense seldom had any real flow to it? How come as you all see it? My take: she spends too much time dribbling rather than passing, too much time forcing her own shot either on drives into traffic or early launches from outside (again rather than involving her teammates). And with her performing that way and being on the floor so much of the time, I have to take note of:
C. Lewis benched way too soon. Sure, you can foul out. And, yes, you can't foul out from the bench (unless you're a coach who gets a bunch of Ts).....but you also don't get a whole lot of shots, rebounds, assists, steals etc from the bench. Doty benched way too long. Banks used way too little (she was one of a few, along with Faris, Lewis, and Doty, who exhibited consistent grit and determination against a gritty and determined bunch of opponents).
As to your point 1) I think as I have posted in the past that Steph needs to step up her rebounding game and do more blocking out like she did at Stanford.
2) This is a complex problem since unless you make some outside shoots (not necessarily threes) opponents clog up the middle and make your inside game impossible. Although inside outside with Stewee and Steph could work if the former could improve her passing and could play high post and Steph low.
In regard to flow I think it was said best in a blog I read that said Coach may have put too much pressure on the team and caused some anxiety which caused them to try too hard and make mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle
Top Bottom