Coaching Talent. | The Boneyard

Coaching Talent.

Reaction Score
I have coached girls high school basketball for approximately 15 years. I have never had a team stacked with talent. Recently I applied for a high profile position in California. The interview process took 3 weeks and consisted of 2 panel interviews and a practice with the boys varsity team while the AD and Principal watched (the position was for the girls team) . I was a finalist, however the position was given to the assistant coach. Ok, here is my question after my long winded paragraph. Is it harder to coach talent or player not so talented who work hard. I've had success building and I enjoy it more then just rolling the ball out.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I have coached girls high school basketball for approximately 15 years. I have never had a team stacked with talent. Recently I applied for a high profile position in California. The interview process took 3 weeks and consisted of 2 panel interviews and a practice with the boys varsity team while the AD and Principal watched (the position was for the girls team) . I was a finalist, however the position was given to the assistant coach. Ok, here is my question after my long winded paragraph. Is it harder to coach talent or player not so talented who work hard. I've had success building and I enjoy it more then just rolling the ball out.
I think you answered your own question. I'm grossly generalizing, but coaching talent is easier, coaching less talent is more satisfying. Coaching talent however as you know has its own pitfalls making some aspects harder than coaching lesser talent. But there can't be a better feeling than winning with lesser talented teams over squads teeming (!?) with talent. That it just one gratifying, emotional locker room and one sweet bottle of wine with the wife after.

Reaction Score
On the youth level, I have found that coaching talent is a lot harder, because what usually comes with talent is ego and parents who think they know more than you do. Give me a group of kids who enjoy playing and will listen to me any day.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have coached 20 years of baseball and and it is easier coaching "great attitudes" than anything else. As Bags said, it's easier to win with talent. I had some great talent teams and we went to the LL State finals, I also has some great talent with suspect attitudes and we lost in the districts. In Babe Ruth similar issues, some less talented teams over achieved with great attitude while some prima Donna teams underachieved. Overall my best moments were with the talented team with great attitude and achieving the goals we set.

Reaction Score
I think you answered your own question. I'm grossly generalizing, but coaching talent is easier, coaching less talent is more satisfying. Coaching talent however as you know has its own pitfalls making some aspects harder than coaching lesser talent. But there can't be a better feeling than winning with lesser talented teams over squads teeming (!?) with talent. That it just one gratifying, emotional locker room and one sweet bottle of wine with the wife after.

If a coach is : Just rolling the ball out. He ain't coaching! He's an interested spectator. Talented players give some coaches satisfaction and if coached to fix the minor or major flaws in the game of those greatly talented--that has satisfaction too. I found winning with less talented or highly talented--great. I'm stuck with the ---it's great to win gene--DefenseBB--hit the nail---talented or untalented kids with great attitudes are just fun to be around--bad attitudes with or without--make every day un-nice.

Reaction Score
On the youth level, I have found that coaching talent is a lot harder, because what usually comes with talent is ego and parents who think they know more than you do. Give me a group of kids who enjoy playing and will listen to me any day.
The part you hated---is the part most coaches hate---heavily involved parents, EGO's---that to me has nothing to do with coaching talented or not talented--some no talent kids have bigger EGO's than those with it. It's about not being around people who are not fun to be around.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom