Coaching personel and assignments | The Boneyard

Coaching personel and assignments

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Seemingly a major shift has gotten scant attention in the general delight at the reappearance of Ms. Lister.

But for a decade or more, there has been a coach who's primary assignment (apparently) was to work with wings and centers; that position haven been most recently filled by Marisa Moseley.

That position also obviously includes recruiting and scouting, implying significant travel.

So now, we have a senior coach and also a new mom; perhaps, she will be able to resume full duties later in the summer; but Shea is 40. This is her first child; it is more likely her contribution will be limited for a while.

That makes the hiring of Jasmine completely sensible. She will certainly be most useful as a guard coach and is available full times + as required.

But what happens with the other position. Is CD now taking on additional duties as being the entire assistant, associate staff, whatever the title is for the bigger girls...Is this not a significant break with the past? Does it imply that CD and Geno thinks she can do that job better by herself?

Time will tell.
I find it amazing that I am apparently the first to bring this to the board's attention.

Reaction Score
Seemingly a major shift has gotten scant attention in the general delight at the reappearance of Ms. Lister.

But for a decade or more, there has been a coach who's primary assignment (apparently) was to work with wings and centers; that position haven been most recently filled by Marisa Moseley.

That position also obviously includes recruiting and scouting, implying significant travel.

So now, we have a senior coach and also a new mom; perhaps, she will be able to resume full duties later in the summer; but Shea is 40. This is her first child; it is more likely her contribution will be limited for a while.

That makes the hiring of Jasmine completely sensible. She will certainly be most useful as a guard coach and is available full times + as required.

But what happens with the other position. Is CD now taking on additional duties as being the entire assistant, associate staff, whatever the title is for the bigger girls...Is this not a significant break with the past? Does it imply that CD and Geno thinks she can do that job better by herself?

Time will tell.
I find it amazing that I am apparently the first to bring this to the board's attention.
Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back. This was discussed in another thread even before the Lister hiring was announced.

Reaction Score
Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back. This was discussed in another thread even before the Lister hiring was announced.
I think your response is inappropriate and misguided. I had some similar thoughts, not only from the coaching perspective, but also the recruiting aspects. I assume some young kids might like to see staff like themselves when they visit us. Take a a 6'5" HS senior for example; she might conclude that the big inside presence isn't really valued here. Maybe, maybe not, that could be argued.
Regardless, how do you figure he is patting himself on the back for expressing an opinion?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think your response is in
appropriate and misguided. I had some similar thoughts, not only from the coaching perspective, but also the recruiting aspects. I assume some young kids might like to see staff like themselves when they visit us. Take a a 6'5" HS senior for example; she might conclude that the big inside presence isn't really valued here. Maybe, maybe not, that could be argued.
Regardless, how do you figure he is patting himself on the back for expressing an opinion?
It is my understanding that the recruiting duties at UCONN are not divided up strictly by position it is rather divided up my whoever makes the best connection with a recruit and the family. For example, although she is guard, it was Marisa that brought Molly Bent to the attention of the staff & I believe it was Shea who took the lead role in the recruiting of ONO. Don't want to undervalue the outstanding UCONN WBB assistants but players mostly come to UCONN to be coached by Geno and CD. Position coaching at UCONN is a little more defined that the recruiting and interestingly enough the job announcement for Marisa's replacement specifically mentioned experience working with guards. Much of this (recruiting duties & position coaching) was discussed in other threads. The sentence:
"I find it amazing that I am apparently the first to bring this to the board's attention." was what led to the comment by @Crossover about patting on the back because @msf22b was not the first.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
One of the reason's I am so pleased with the Jaz hiring is the age difference. I believe Jaz's youth will be able to connect to some prospects easier than a staff of 40 -60 year olds. Plus she's got some time in the W and a great resume. It's got to be a big addition to have her on board.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There is an assumption about Shea's role going forward that may be unwarranted. We simply do not know. Can Shea have a child and be a full time coach with all that implies? That's a rhetorical question folks. 100s do it every year. As far as whether "bigs" have to be coached by a "big", that seems simplistic to me. Male practice players and a coach who teaches floor positioning, footwork, etc surely can get it done. And, though Vic's 6'7" big harkens back to the old days of bigs, bigs are evolving away from their traditional role .

Reaction Score
I think your response is inappropriate and misguided. I had some similar thoughts, not only from the coaching perspective, but also the recruiting aspects. I assume some young kids might like to see staff like themselves when they visit us. Take a a 6'5" HS senior for example; she might conclude that the big inside presence isn't really valued here. Maybe, maybe not, that could be argued.
I think the original post is a good one. Maybe the topic was already broached earlier but I missed it and maybe others did as well. However, the last sentence, IMO, was totally unnecessary and prompted "the patting oneself on the back comment". To be honest that same thought crossed my mind as well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wait what?

images

Wow, I'm old.

Reaction Score
Well, since this may have also been discussed previously in other threads, I'll thread lightly (pun intended) on this; since Chloe Pavlech's name no longer appears on the women's basketball staff page, (Jaz's does btw, or is it Jaz') does this mean we still have an opening to fill, or did I just not get the news?

Hmmm, wonder if Chloe will soon reappear on the Boston University WBB staff page?

Updated players and staff page
[HERE]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wait what?

images

Wow, I'm old.
MEYERS: We all know you to be a man of extraordinary subtlety. But, please, don't let this be your coy way of letting us know that you, like Shea, are with child? If so, I'm done with ya once and for all. My feelings are hurt beyond repair.

Reaction Score

Time will tell.
Not sure if you are first to post, but a good topic to consider. While most posts focus on Geno, with the many recruits across the country (and at times the world), Geno has to rely on his staff. Behind every successful D1 men's or women's coach is one of more great recruiters. I you asked me who the best is at UConn, not sure I could answer (other than of course Geno).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, since this may have also been discussed previously in other threads, I'll thread lightly (pun intended) on this; since Chloe Pavlech's name no longer appears on the women's basketball staff page, (Jaz's does btw, or is it Jaz') does this mean we still have an opening to fill, or did I just not get the news?

Hmmm, wonder if Chloe will soon reappear on the Boston University WBB staff page?

[HERE]

I believe Chloe had 2 seasons as Grad Assistant and that is usually the run of that position for an individual. But, yeah, I could see her be an assistant hire by "Coach Mo" in a heart beat.

Viz: Pavlech's love for basketball brings her to UConn Marisa recruited her to UConn.

OBTW: The article is interesting for another reason. This, from a nonrecruit with four years in an elite college program:

"I used to look at them as the bad guys," Pavlech said. "Now that I'm here I see them as the good guys. A lot of people ask, 'How is it there? How's Coach Geno? How's CD (associate head coach Chris Dailey)? How are the players?' The answer I always give is that it's just different here. I can't really explain it, and I don't think anyone can unless they're in it every day and experiencing it all of the time.

"When I came here my eyes were opened up to a lot more things that I didn't even know existed. I keep learning and watching a lot of film. It's been really cool to see the different offenses and, for me, I get to take the best of both worlds, from here and from Maryland, and combine it."

Last edited:
Reaction Score

[HERE]
I'd love for Chloe to land at BU as an assistant. She would move up the ladder and Marisa would have someone who gets it. A true win-win.

Reaction Score
People really think Shea isn't still going to be all in as a coach? I'd say that unless she takes an official leave of absence, she's going to be doing the job 100 percent along with motherhood.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There is an assumption about Shea's role going forward that may be unwarranted. We simply do not know. Can Shea have a child and be a full time coach with all that implies? That's a rhetorical question folks. 100s do it every year. As far as whether "bigs" have to be coached by a "big", that seems simplistic to me. Male practice players and a coach who teaches floor positioning, footwork, etc surely can get it done. And, though Vic's 6'7" big harkens back to the old days of bigs, bigs are evolving away from their traditional role .
There was a point in the past where CVS (a point guard in her day) was coaching the bigs at Rutgers. Not, obviously, in a vacuum, and RU took full advantage of national "big man" camps for their centers and such. But it can be done.

Another situation is when you have a former men's basketball guard on staff - who is, by WBB standards, not guard sized. If I recall correctly, Rutgers at one time had this situation and the MBB guard coached the WBB centers.

Reaction Score
While it's surely possible the opener of this thread missed at least two or three prior threads discussing this in some depth all about the opening once Marisa departed. If ones interested in this topic/issue how does one not read those other threads before their becoming the first in anything. I'd say it's a bit on the arrogant almost obnoxious side.
As to the issue itself, it seemingly points to CD taking on a bigger role at least for a little while as Shea adjusts to her new role of being a Mom. That job, maybe the most important in any society (dads too), it is impossible to even speculate an individual's reactions to what is life changing. Time will tell those here, what it means to and for Shea and U Conn.
The job description as stated by many seemed to clearly point to Jaz' getting the position, which while a seeming curve as to position coaches seems like a brilliant hire. It was also pointed out by a few at least, that maybe it's to strengthen Shea's resume and further prepare her for a HC position, possibly here when Geno & CD retire. I'd bet they do go out together completing the cycle of all their years together.
What else this change might mean hopefully someone else might address, but I surely don't think Shea will be leaving to a HC position in the next few years. As a therapist /social worker as well as in my own personal life, most often it is best not to make too many major changes in ones life at the same time, as it can and does lead to enormous stresses and stressors that can lead to emotional and / or physical illnesses. At some other time, I might explain this further.
These changes are actually wonderful for all involved. Marissa got a HC position returning home to her own college and Boston, a town she knows and seemingly loves. They get to bring in a much younger, newer voice Jaime Lister, which will refresh things. Shea will be having her first child and return hopefully to even better things ahead both professionally and personally.
And hopefully Geno & CD could win another or a few more NC's before they move ahead.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
People really think Shea isn't still going to be all in as a coach? I'd say that unless she takes an official leave of absence, she's going to be doing the job 100 percent along with motherhood.
I agree Shea is amazing and will give it everything she can. On the other hand juggling parenthood, a marriage or relationship and a very demanding position is extremely difficult. It creates choices that often leaves the best mom or dad, or worker with questions, choices and sometimes regrets.
Everything I've seen and heard about Shea points strongly to her working all this out and being excellent in each role.
But it will not be easy and there's always some sacrifices made along the way.
Best wishes to all!
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom