Mississippi State Nikki McCray-Penson Gone
(unexpected/health related)
Texas A&M Gary Blair Gone at end of season
(unexpected/retirement)
Ole Miss Yolett McPhee-McCuin starting 4th season
(31–57 (.352)

PAC-12: only 1/12 Gone
Washington Jody Wynn GONE
Utah Lynne Roberts Starting 6th season(72–54/.571)
Colorado JR Payne starting 6th season(72–75/.490)
California Charmin Smith starting 3rd season(13–35/.271)

Big Ten: 2/14 Gone + one gone for this season
Purdue Sharon Versyp GONE(retired early)
Wisconsin Jonathan Tsipis GONE
Illinois Nancy Fahey starting 5th season(35–79/.307)
Rutgers C. Vivian Stringer (taking year off covid concerns)
Minnesota Lindsay Whalen starting 4th season(45–39/.536)

Big 12: 2/10 Gone
Oklahoma Sherri Coale GONE(retired early)
Baylor Kim Mulkey Gone(unexpected took LSU position)
Kansas Brandon Schneider starting 7th season(57–98/.368)

ACC: only 1/15 GONE
Syracuse Quentin Hillsman GONE(unexpected)
Virginia Tina Thompson starting 4th season(25-41/.378)
Pittsburgh Lance White starting 4th season(21–60/.259)

I was the person who added Cal,Illinois,Ole Miss,Pitt, and Minnesota to the list even though they were all under 5 years based on their records and their lack of recruiting Top-100 players.

Minnesota lost at home to Jacksonville, then bounced back to win at ASU but I don't think ASU is all that great this year either.
Virginia lost by 15 at James Madison. Ole Miss lost at home by 12 to Belmont. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
LSU Nikki Fargas GONE
200.gif

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Back in Feb were some pretty accurate assessments by

Vowelguy and DefenseBB among others.​

SEC: 5/14 Gone w/one opening for next year already
Auburn Terri Williams-Flournoy GONE
LSU Nikki Fargas GONE
Vanderbilt Stephanie White GONE
Florida Cam Newbauer GONE(unexpected)
Mississippi State Nikki McCray-Penson Gone
(unexpected/health related)
Texas A&M Gary Blair Gone at end of season
(unexpected/retirement)
Ole Miss Yolett McPhee-McCuin starting 4th season
(31–57 (.352)

PAC-12: only 1/12 Gone
Washington Jody Wynn GONE
Utah Lynne Roberts Starting 6th season(72–54/.571)
Colorado JR Payne starting 6th season(72–75/.490)
California Charmin Smith starting 3rd season(13–35/.271)

Big Ten: 2/14 Gone + one gone for this season
Purdue Sharon Versyp GONE(retired early)
Wisconsin Jonathan Tsipis GONE
Illinois Nancy Fahey starting 5th season(35–79/.307)
Rutgers C. Vivian Stringer (taking year off covid concerns)
Minnesota Lindsay Whalen starting 4th season(45–39/.536)

Big 12: 2/10 Gone
Oklahoma Sherri Coale GONE(retired early)
Baylor Kim Mulkey Gone(unexpected took LSU position)
Kansas Brandon Schneider starting 7th season(57–98/.368)

ACC: only 1/15 GONE
Syracuse Quentin Hillsman GONE(unexpected)
Virginia Tina Thompson starting 4th season(25-41/.378)
Pittsburgh Lance White starting 4th season(21–60/.259)

I was the person who added Cal,Illinois,Ole Miss,Pitt, and Minnesota to the list even though they were all under 5 years based on their records and their lack of recruiting Top-100 players.

Minnesota lost at home to Jacksonville, then bounced back to win at ASU but I don't think ASU is all that great this year either.
Virginia lost by 15 at James Madison. Ole Miss lost at home by 12 to Belmont. Thoughts?

Hello, I'm "among others," but something I've been hard-set on is that Tina Thompson is not going to be taking UVA anywhere but "bleeahh" this year. They just lost 65-48 at home to USC (as in Southern California), after that 15 pt. loss to James Madison.

She simply hasn't brought in great players and the good ones she has, have left.

I don't know how much time is left on her contract but if it's close, the UVA athletic director who hired her (as her first major hire) should realize this one isn't working.
This would be a great position if it opens up.....

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
By the way - whoever put Vivian on the hot seat at some point - signed a 5 year guaranteed contract in April, just before stepping away. It does permit transition from the bench into another position. At about a million a year. Guaranteed.

I just can't call it a hot seat, although if it wasn't her, it still might not be, but closer.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
For clarity, @Rooster C. in the PAC12 Mark Trakh is gone from USC as he “retired” in the spring, replaced by retread Lindsey Gottlieb.

For the ACC, by way of reference as @Dillon77 notes, Tina Thompson has not done well by any stretch and this year does not look good at all.
At some point, it’s going to dawn on Clemson that Amanda Butler is not good but that is probably 2 years out when her contract expires in 2024.

On the SEC, while I am not necessarily a fan of Coach Yo, losing to Belmont is not a bad loss as Belmont is good. Plus, Ole Miss was terrible before her and she at least is getting recruits and transfers. She needs an x’s and o’s Coach especially for offense.
Kristy Curry despite finally making the NCAAT last year, lost two good players to the transfer portal and simply and has not done enough to earn another extension.
The other coach too watch is Kyra Elzy at Kentucky who underachieved last year with Rhyne Howard and has not looked good this year with a solid roster. The crazy thing is Kentucky gave her a 6 year contract which is absurdly long so they could be stuck for a while (2025).

In the Big 12 Schneider was given a 2 yr. extension in 2020 so it expires in April, 2022. I am not thinking another extension is forthcoming. Krista Gerlich at Texas Tech has had an auspicious start and needs to show something As I fear she’s in over her head.

For the Big 10, Nebraska a day Amy Williams May have their best team in years but the Big 10 is Loaded so she might not make any headway in the standings.
Nancy Fahey’s contract is up in April 2022 so I also suspect she will not be renewed.

Rutgers, to me was telling in that the announcement that Tim Eatman will get credit for the wins this year while CVS is out. This could be the reflection period both sides need to be able to move on from each other while staying connected.

That’s my thought 1 week into this season.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In the Big 12 Schneider was given a 2 yr. extension in 2020 so it expires in April, 2022. I am not thinking another extension is forthcoming. Krista Gerlich at Texas Tech has had an auspicious start and needs to show something As I fear she’s in over her head.

For the Big 10, Nebraska a day Amy Williams May have their best team in years but the Big 10 is Loaded so she might not make any headway in the standings.
Nancy Fahey’s contract is up in April 2022 so I also suspect she will not be renewed.
Re. Gerlich, did you mean "inauspicious"? I haven't seen much auspicious in what she's done so far.

Fahey's original contract was through 2022-23, and in 2020 she was given a 2-year extension until 2025.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
From an available coaching option-the question of Matthew Mitchell's health if good, he has to be a viable candidate for any P5 opening.
While not a popular name on this site, Joanne P McCallie still has a good resume that should warrant a look at many P5 schools. I know Gail G keeps getting mentioned but it seems odd to me that (she is now an assistant at Kentucky maybe she have sway over Kyra to get that program back on track) that she hasn't landed a top job at a P5 or Big East school. We seem to value her potential more than any P5 AD.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
From an available coaching option-the question of Matthew Mitchell's health if good, he has to be a viable candidate for any P5 opening.
While not a popular name on this site, Joanne P McCallie still has a good resume that should warrant a look at many P5 schools. I know Gail G keeps getting mentioned but it seems odd to me that (she is now an assistant at Kentucky maybe she have sway over Kyra to get that program back on track) that she hasn't landed a top job at a P5 or Big East school. We seem to value her potential more than any P5 AD.
Martin Lawrence No GIF by Martin

Reaction Score
Texas A&M will be interesting to watch. Will they gamble on an up and comer or write the BIG check for a proven winner. They ceratinly have the money for the latter and they do play "Keeping up with the Joneses" (Horns). It's gonna be tough to beat Vic.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I want Tim Eatman(Rutgers acting coach) fired, like now.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I feel ya! What in the world kind of Rec League ish was going on here? 14 of 16 Rutgers players got minutes in this game and you Rutgers loses to Stony Brook by 9 at Home.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I can't figure out definitively when his contract ends but I'd have to think McGuff's lack of consistent success is going to be under scrutiny. I believe he signed an 8-year contract in 2013 and there was a "perk" of extending it a year for every conference championship he won. He has only won the Big Ten twice. He just finished year 8 last year. He's struggled to keep Ohio talent home and hasn't really competed for even 2nd place in the conference since Mitchell left. He doesn't have a horrid win percentage, .66, but Foster was fired with .77 and only two seasons out from winning the Conference tournament and 3 form winning both conference season and tournament. He was also tied for second the year before he was fired.

I know I beat this dead horse, but I have to imagine things are tense with the contract right now. I don't really see Ohio State cracking the top 4 in the Big Ten as things stand. So we'll see. Haha

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
I can't figure out definitively when his contract ends but I'd have to think McGuff's lack of consistent success is going to be under scrutiny. I believe he signed an 8-year contract in 2013 and there was a "perk" of extending it a year for every conference championship he won. He has only won the Big Ten twice. He just finished year 8 last year. He's struggled to keep Ohio talent home and hasn't really competed for even 2nd place in the conference since Mitchell left. He doesn't have a horrid win percentage, .66, but Foster was fired with .77 and only two seasons out from winning the Conference tournament and 3 form winning both conference season and tournament. He was also tied for second the year before he was fired.

I know I beat this dead horse, but I have to imagine things are tense with the contract right now. I don't really see Ohio State cracking the top 4 in the Big Ten as things stand. So we'll see. Haha
Imagine Ohio St this year if Kierstan Bell and Dorka Juhasz had not transferred. They'd be contending for a conference championship and final four.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Lol he's "acting". If he didn't get fired all those years as an assistant, you think he'd be fired for one loss as an "acting" head coach?

Rutgers lost a lot from last year, something like their top 4 or 5 scorers, is that right?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I don't see him as a coach who will get Ohio State to an elite level but he's done a pretty solid job in the post-Mitchell era considering the rosters he's had. I actually think he's done a better job since Mitchell left than when she was there even if results aren't as good. Ohio State had a lot more talent during the Kelsey Mitchell era, but I'm guessing the program had major chemistry issues with her dad's influence being on the staff, and also McGuff being essentially forced to put Kelsey's sister on scholarship (who I'm not sure was even a D1 caliber player), plus trying to manage other high level players and keep everyone happy while making sure Kelsey Mitchell was the star of the show. Not a good recipe for good chemistry or team success, and we saw the fallout of that with disappointing NCAA tournament results year after year. His program went back to rebuilding mode after 2019 and McGuff has done a decent job the last few years and should be good this season, but they're definitely far behind Maryland and will have a hard time cracking the top 4 this year in a solid Big Ten.

You're 100% accurate that he's missed out on several big names....after looking it up, it's rather painful how much talent he's missed out on. Naz Hillmon, Kierstan Bell, Zia Cooke, Jordan Horston, Maddie Westbeld and Bree Hall are all in state kids who he wasn't able to land or keep. Plus another top 10 kid next year. That's a championship caliber roster of talent he's seen opt for different programs. On the basis of that alone I could see why fans want someone new to run the program--he couldn't deliver when he did have talent, and now he's having trouble landing talent.

Reaction Score
Regarding Ohio State, does anyone think the previous issues with that coach they had to let go still hangs over them like a cloud? As it happened within the last year, it could still be in the minds of some.

Reaction Score
She simply hasn't brought in great players and the good ones she has, have left.
Following is part of an article published in The Daily Progress:

Tina Thompson believes this year’s Virginia women’s basketball team is better prepared to win games than any of her previous three seasons as the team’s head coach.
After three consecutive losing seasons and a winless record last year — UVa played five games before the team opted out of the season due to COVID-19 concerns — the time is now for Thompson’s team to make noticeable progress. She dove into the transfer portal this offseason to remake a roster in need of depth, athleticism and talent.
“I am kind of a witness or a living proof that you can get a whole team almost out of the transfer portal,” Thompson said.

Yeah,NO. Thompson is done.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Lol he's "acting". If he didn't get fired all those years as an assistant, you think he'd be fired for one loss as an "acting" head coach?

Rutgers lost a lot from last year, something like their top 4 or 5 scorers, is that right?
Something like that, correct. However we got a decent amount of talent in transfers.

It’s the way he’s going about his rotations of the lack there of a rotation. Each game we have a different starting lineup, and he juggles 14 or so players in and out pretty much the whole game. That’s way to many players, as the players on the floor can’t find a flow at all. We have not scored more than 10 points in the first quarter of any game this year.

If I was the AD, I’d wait until the end of this season, allow CVS an admit role and then hire a young up and coming coach.

Perhaps like Chelsea Newton if they want it to be an alum, if not I’d give Tammi Reiss a good look if UVA doesn’t give her a look first.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom