Coaching EGO | The Boneyard

Coaching EGO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OK Urban Myer wins 2 National Championships at Florida then goes to OHIO STATE (not Kent State) and wins another. One day I would like to see a "Super Coach" like Myer or Saban to go to a school like UConn and bring that team to National Prominence vs just taking a Super Team up a notch. Really transform a program, some coach needs to have that big an ego?. Show your stuff! Heck they have enough money now forever so let's see what you can really do without all the top recruits.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The coaching ladder doesn't work that way. The reason Meyer went to OSU is becuase it was the best program not in the SEC.

The only way UCONN gets a coach of that caliber is through some off the field issues, is fired from Nebraska, or they grow him from an assistant. In any case, they would leave as soon as UConn made the playoff for better money unless the guy genuinely liked being here.

Fwiw, BD is not one of those guys. He'll succeed or fail and move on.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I thought Tressel was an interesting candidate last year. Of course it's all water under the bridge, but that show cause proved itself to be the joke that it is when he was inducted into the college football hall of fame a few days ago. As we all know, UCONN wasn't going to compete for national championships during Tressel's show clause period anyway so why not hire him and get some instant credibility back to the program?

Again. Water. Bridge.

Reaction Score
The coaching ladder doesn't work that way. The reason Meyer went to OSU is becuase it was the best program not in the SEC.

The only way UCONN gets a coach of that caliber is through some off the field issues, is fired from Nebraska, or they grow him from an assistant. In any case, they would leave as soon as UConn made the playoff for better money unless the guy genuinely liked being here.

Fwiw, BD is not one of those guys. He'll succeed or fail and move on.
I know why he went to OSU. Just wishful thinking that some coach would like to see how good they really are..EGO.

Meyer or Saban could probably win a National Championship at: Penn State, Texas, Georgia, Tex A&M, Florida, Oklahoma USCw etc. Could they win at Washington State, Wake Forrest, Vanderbilt, Indiana? Love to see one try.

Reaction Score
I dunno, Meyer transformed Utah to the path that got them into the P12. His Utes team that smoked Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl (2004/05) crushed everybdy they played that year, including teams form B12, P10, and ACC, narrowest margin of victory was 14 points, and finished the season ranked #4 (USC won it all that year). Utah could have competed with anybody in the nation that year....and that was with A LOT less "rivals rating" talent. The guy just wins (any means necessary). He turned UF around from the Zook years where they were winning 6-7 a year and built them back to a dominant program, and after leavimg they've been backsliding ever since. Yes, it is easier to recruit the best talent at UF, OSU, Bama, etc... but it does not guarentee success.

This said, I like the OP's idea, and agree that Meyer or Saban should come to UConn immediately.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
OK Urban Myer wins 2 National Championships at Florida then goes to OHIO STATE (not Kent State) and wins another. One day I would like to see a "Super Coach" like Myer or Saban to go to a school like UConn and bring that team to National Prominence vs just taking a Super Team up a notch. Really transform a program, some coach needs to have that big an ego?. Show your stuff! Heck they have enough money now forever so let's see what you can really do without all the top recruits.

Bo Pelini is at Youngstown State.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Urban also won big at Bowling Green. This guy has proven it every level and is only like 50 years old.

Reaction Score
I dunno, Meyer transformed Utah to the path that got them into the P12. His Utes team that smoked Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl (2004/05) crushed everybdy they played that year, including teams form B12, P10, and ACC, narrowest margin of victory was 14 points, and finished the season ranked #4 (USC won it all that year). Utah could have competed with anybody in the nation that year....and that was with A LOT less "rivals rating" talent. The guy just wins (any means necessary). He turned UF around from the Zook years where they were winning 6-7 a year and built them back to a dominant program, and after leavimg they've been backsliding ever since. Yes, it is easier to recruit the best talent at UF, OSU, Bama, etc... but it does not guarentee success.

This said, I like the OP's idea, and agree that Meyer or Saban should come to UConn immediately.
Meyer coached two years at Utah.10-2 and 12-0 I think but he had Alex Smith as his QB. Could he sustain that kind of record once Smith left? Are some coaches good because they luck into a couple great players and move to program where it is tough NOT to win? I coached basketball and soccer in HS for about 10 years. The best coaching I did was getting 5-6 wins out of a team that had little talent vs the 20-0 championship teams that you could almost throw a ball out and say go beat em. That's why in my fantasy I would like to see some coach do that. I think Larry Brown is doing just that at SMU.

Reaction Score
He also wanted to win big in the short term. He would be a great get for UCONN but it would probably take more than 2/3 years to turn us into a top 5 program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom