Coaching College BB or Coaching the NBA | The Boneyard

Coaching College BB or Coaching the NBA

Reaction Score
Which is more challenging?

My quick take is that pro players with guaranteed contracts ,unless in the final year or with one year deals, can be less motivated or be harder to motivate except for the appeal to team pride and having a winning record. Also, unlike in the business world, annual salaries are not performance-based or percentage of profits (law firm partners or sales managers) and are not usually guaranteed for a fixed period of time (employment at will).

High level college players have the incentive of playing on a professional level based on performance in college.

Also such formerly successful college coaches as Tarkanian, Hoiberg, and Montgomery had their problems once they reached the NBA.

What are your thoughts?

Reaction Score
I think college is more of a grind with recruitment and teaching, but you have much more authority with the actual team members. NBA coaching is like walking a tightrope trying to manage big personalities and win with what you’re given.

I think being a college coach is more work, but once you prove yourself the job security is much, much better than it’ll ever be in the NBA.

Reaction Score
A head coach in college is equivalent to a head coach plus GM in the NBA.
It’s a significant managerial position with budgetary responsibilities.
Recruiting is still a pain but drafting the right players is not easy either for those with duel responsibilities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104
Top Bottom