Coaches on Changes in Recruiting (featuring Hurley's comments) | The Boneyard

Coaches on Changes in Recruiting (featuring Hurley's comments)

Reaction Score
"Every scholarship is so important that the lack of access and ability to have recruits around us for [on a visit], or in their homes, to really get to know people, it makes it a little bit scary," UConn coach Dan Hurley said. "You could fool somebody on the phone for a half an hour. But in person? Two breakfasts, couple lunches, couple dinners, people start getting comfortable and reveal themselves. I think there's going to be a lot of mistakes both ways."

For coaches who recruit "fit" as opposed to just rankings and talent, this situation is going to be an issue.

Reaction Score
I think it benefits us. Our recruiting is mostly in the tri-state and New England.

The national programs: Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina as well as the international programs like Gonzaga will most likely suffer in the short term.

Reaction Score
I think we need to get used to doing things this way. People are hired remotely these days. My only concern is for kids who don't have good wifi & devices. That's tough.

Reaction Score
I think we need to get used to doing things this way. People are hired remotely these days. My only concern is for kids who don't have good wifi & devices. That's tough.
Is this an issue for anyone but boomers? Lol

Reaction Score
Aside from the recruiting event schedule, has there been any discussion that any recruited 2020 kids may not graduate or be college eligible academically based on loss of school time?

Reaction Score
For kids growing up with limited resources, yes
This is more income related than an age related issue. I have read several coronavirus articles on this very issue. Especially how it relates to homeschooling in cities like Brownsville Texas which has spotty internet access in some sections of town.

Reaction Score
Does everyone here have ADHD?!

The OP’s post is about the concern that DH will have more difficulty recruiting the “right” kid, not about having difficulty in signing a recruit.

It’s about DH not being able to meet the kid face to face, which is how he best ascertains whether a kid will be the right fit. Not being able to do that makes DH uncomfortable signing someone that he can only meet remotely over the internet or phone calls.

This takes away a huge strength of DH that he has over other coaches who simply sign the highest ranked recruits they can without concern for the intangibles that DH greatly values to make his program’s culture strong.

Reaction Score
Does everyone here have ADHD?!

The OP’s post is about the concern that DH will have more difficulty recruiting the “right” kid, not about having difficulty in signing a recruit.

It’s about DH not being able to meet the kid face to face, which is how he best ascertains whether a kid will be the right fit. Not being able to do that makes DH uncomfortable signing someone that he can only meet with remotely over the internet or phone calls.
They're all working under the same conditions, brosef.

Reaction Score
I teach in an urban district. Probably 30% of my students don’t have access to internet and a device at home.
I'm sure they ALL have cell phones though!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I teach in an urban district. Probably 30% of my students don’t have access to internet and a device at home.
I guess if you are teaching the grades below 6 this is probably true, but I can't believe that 95% of jr high and high school don't have phones but I don't know about home internet access.
My very good friend who teaches freshman math in Chicago says it's rare a kid doesn't have a cell phone
I'm not there so Perhaps your stat is accurate
How are you going to teach online classes now? My wife and daughter are both teachers and both are starting their online tutoring today
Best of Luck

Reaction Score
I guess if you are teaching the grades below 6 this is probably true, but I can't believe that 95% of jr high and high school don't have phones but I don't know about home internet access.
My very good friend who teaches freshman math in Chicago says it's rare a kid doesn't have a cell phone
I'm not there so Perhaps your stat is accurate
How are you going to teach online classes now? My wife and daughter are both teachers and both are starting their online tutoring today
Best of Luck

I teach 7th. Most have cell phones but there are still some that don’t. Our school is doing everything remotely online but we were required to make an alternative paper assignment and the students can pick up that assignment at the school if they don’t have internet at home (they all have one to one chromebooks, but many can’t get on them at home). Our local cable companies are offering free internet deals temporarily, but people who lost service from outstanding bills don’t qualify. Our school still doesn’t know what we’re actually going to do with the paper assignments. Most of those kids are showing up to the school every day anyway to pick up meals since they always get free breakfast and lunch.

But thank you, this is definitely a new era of education.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom