Coach PP - Recruiting Prototypical | The Boneyard

Coach PP - Recruiting Prototypical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think this is a huge overstatement.

We have had a big offensive line for many years. Our triangle numbers have been pretty good. Our problem with Oklahoma wasn't speed or size, they just had much better skill players especially at QB and WR. Same with Michigan, Robinson killed us with blazing speed.

In both cases, Michigan and Oklahoma -- if we exchange QBs we win both games.

Reaction Score
I think this is a huge overstatement.

We have had a big offensive line for many years. Our triangle numbers have been pretty good. Our problem with Oklahoma wasn't speed or size, they just had much better skill players especially at QB and WR. Same with Michigan, Robinson killed us with blazing speed.

In both cases, Michigan and Oklahoma -- if we exchange QBs we win both games.

Our lines the last couple years can compete with any. In fact, our D Line this past season was one of the best in the nation. DOn't think you would find many schools who wouldn't trade their front 4 for ours (Reyes, Martin, Trevardo, and Joseph).

We have been lacking skill position players, on both sides of the ball. With TyMeer Brown and Byron Jones, I feel like we made huge strides in improving the speed and athleticism of the secondary. Now we just need to improve at WR, and obviously, QB, which, unfortunately, is not an easy position to fill.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Our lines the last couple years can compete with any. In fact, our D Line this past season was one of the best in the nation. DOn't think you would find many schools who wouldn't trade their front 4 for ours (Reyes, Martin, Trevardo, and Joseph).

We have been lacking skill position players, on both sides of the ball. With TyMeer Brown and Byron Jones, I feel like we made huge strides in improving the speed and athleticism of the secondary. Now we just need to improve at WR, and obviously, QB, which, unfortunately, is not an easy position to fill.

Our defensive line was highly skilled, but was still average at best for size. Out of our DT rotation, Stephens was the only 300lb+ player and all of our DE's are 250 lbs or less.

I don't see any quote where PP said he'd take a numbers guy over a skill guy.

He's just saying he's going to try and get as many players who have measurables for certain positions- which is why the whole story is a non-story, because almost every coach tries to do that. A real story would be PP saying, size and numbers don't matter, I'm going with the eye ball test for most of my recruits.

Reaction Score
I will grand you that we have had our share of bigger OLmen, but what caught my eye was this:

The Huskies appear to have hit the mark at linebacker in the 2012 class. They have Jon Hicks (6-3, 235 from Palmyra, Pa.), EJ Norris (6-5, 234 from Washington) and, Jason Sylva (6-2, 245, from Plymouth, Mass.), who is said to be a rock and has good size already. The Huskies are bringing in a decent-sized safety in Obi Melifonwu (Grafton, Mass.), who stands 6-3, 195. They also will be bringing in a 6-3, 305-pound offensive lineman in Rennick Bryan from Hillhouse-New Haven and a 306-pound defensive lineman in Mikal Myers from Newburgh, N.Y.

Reaction Score
I guarantee that Pasqualoni has had his own set of criteria for what he wants in players for a long, long time, but his time in the NFL, especially under Bill Parcells, cemented the word "prototype" into him for good.

Parcells is the guy, that basically wrote the book on building a "prototype" football team. You lay out exactly, and I mean exactly, what you want in your players at every single position on the roster - to every detail you can imagine, and then you go find the best match, and the basics, the fundamentals, of size, speed, arm lenght in a lineman, etc., the physical specifics to each posiiton - you don't waver, if a player doesn't measure up, you don't take them, and move on to the next one that does measure up - that's professional football.

One of our own football players, probably wasn't aware of it, but had this issue with Parcells back in 2005. Alfred Fincher. A guy that Parcells scouted and was high on. He wasn't tall enough for Parcells protoype linebacker which is minimum 6'2" true height, or he very well may ahve been a Dallas Cowboy. He ended up a New Orleans Saint getting taken in the third round instead.

I highly doubt that Pasqualoni is anywhere near as rigid in his player qualities desired as Parcells, for two reasons - #1. this is college football BCS/1-A, not professional football, and #2. Nobody is as rigid as Bill Parcells when it comes to stuff like this.

It's just easier to win races when your driving a Ferrari instead of a Fiat, and it's easier to win a demolishing derby with a monster truck than a mini.

I think this is the most important part of the entire piece:

" Now there are exceptions........I'm not blind to the exception. I just don't want a team of exceptions."

Reaction Score
I think our olines have been very good and pretty prototypical, though we've had a few guys who were shorter than ideal, I think. I think Petrus is a bit smaller than a prototypical cneter for example. And our running backs tend to be smallish except Donald Brown. Defensively we've had good dlines, but again, they have tended to be on the small side. Edsall elected to go for speed and quickness over size and strength. We've had some very good players and not all of them are small but as a group they tended to be a bit smaller. and our dbacks and recievers have been very small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom