Coach Poffenbarger | The Boneyard

Coach Poffenbarger

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
Today's Frederick News Post has an article on informal girls basketball games played outdoors this fall. The teams were made up of squads from the county high schools and some middle schools. Here is the news on Saylor:

"High school coaches weren’t allowed to coach in the league because it was the offseason for winter sports, but they could attend games as spectators. However, there’s no rule against a high school player coaching. Middletown senior standout Saylor Poffenbarger was head coach for the Orange team. In April, Poffenbarger had surgery to repair a torn labrum in her left hip, and when the fall league started, she had yet to be cleared to play. So, she ended up coaching players who were her Knights teammates. Poffenbarger, who said her hip is 100 percent now, enjoyed the experience.

“It was definitely nice to see things from another perspective,” she said. Granted, Poffenbarger had offered input — say, on switching defenses or running plays — to her mother, Amy Poffenbarger, who is Middletown High’s head girls basketball coach. But actually being a coach made her appreciate coaches like her mother all-the-more.
“It was kind of like second nature. It was a lot harder than I thought,” Saylor Poffenbarger said. “When you’re playing, it goes by a little bit quicker. But when you’re coaching, it’s like, ‘Oh gosh, we’re down by 3 and there’s two minutes left. I’ve got to do something.’”

That something is a plan. Then, it was up to her players to enact it. “Normally, in the game, I can do it myself, and so trusting the players was kind of cool,” said Poffenbarger, who thought that helped grow relationships."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This article on Saylor is reminiscent of Caroline Doty's situation when she was injured and grabbed a clipboard to still contribute and gained a new perspective on the game in the process.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This article on Saylor is reminiscent of Caroline Doty's situation when she was injured and grabbed a clipboard to still contribute and gained a new perspective on the game in the process.

Just shows that CD's have a lot in common with one another. The original CD is a coach by profession, and Crystal Dangerfield was a "coach on the floor" by her senior year.

Reaction Score
Just shows that CD's have a lot in common with one another. The original CD is a coach by profession, and Crystal Dangerfield was a "coach on the floor" by her senior year.
They just mature at different intervals... :p

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Those videos would be a lot more enjoyable without the music.:confused:

Reaction Score
This also explains her drop in the ESPN poll. I still like UConn's incoming class over anyone.

I think the drop in the ESPN rankings is due to the replacement of Dan Olsen with Premier Basketball. Saylor went from 17 to 30. DeBerry went from 5 to 15. Amazingly, Caroline Ducharme went from 41 to 5!

I don't know who is right. I do know that Olsen's numeric rankings were a joke. Every year- EVERY YEAR- the first 21 players had numeric score of 98. The next 20 (or 21 some years) had a 97. The next 21 were 96's.

So logically, Aziaha James is as good as Azzi Fudd.

( http://web.archive.org/web/20200510...s-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2021 )

I'm glad, if only for that reason, that Dan is gone.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think the drop in the ESPN rankings is due to the replacement of Dan Olsen with Premier Basketball. Saylor went from 17 to 30. DeBerry went from 5 to 15. Amazingly, Caroline Ducharme went from 41 to 5!

I don't know who is right. I do know that Olsen's numeric rankings were a joke. Every year- EVERY YEAR- the first 21 players had numeric score of 98. The next 20 (or 21 some years) had a 97. The next 21 were 96's.

So logically, Aziaha James is as good as Azzi Fudd.

( 2021 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN )

I'm glad, if only for that reason, that Dan is gone.
As the distinguished @Sluconn Husky keeps pointing out the players did not "rise or fall" in the rankings. The ESPN rankings are entirely new aka a fresh start which did not take into account the prior rankings.
Like many of you I'm surprised and vehemently disagree with the rankings. For example, although I'm secretly hoping they are correct, I don't view Caroline Ducharme to be the 5th best player in this class. I also do not believe Caroline is a better prospect than Saylor.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
As the distinguished @Sluconn Husky keeps pointing out the players did not "rise or fall" in the rankings. The ESPN rankings are entirely new aka a fresh start which did not take into account the prior rankings.
Like many of you I'm surprised and vehemently disagree with the rankings. For example, although I'm secretly hoping they are correct, I don't view Caroline Ducharme to be the 5th best player in this class. I also do not believe Caroline is a better prospect than Saylor.
When word first came out about the two, Saylor was considered the better player. I was wondering whether or not UConn wanted Caroline. However, Caroline must be really good based on the comments of people who have seen her. So that must mean Saylor is also really good. A double plus for UConn.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
When word first came out about the two, Saylor was considered the better player. I was wondering whether or not UConn wanted Caroline. However, Caroline must be really good based on the comments of people who have seen her. So that must mean Saylor is also really good. A double plus for UConn.
My worthless opinion is that CD and Saylor will become twin wings each splashing 30 foot 3’s while DeBerry and ice control the lane. Still looking for Kiki to join the show.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
My worthless opinion is that CD and Saylor will become twin wings each splashing 30 foot 3’s while DeBerry and ice control the lane. Still looking for Kiki to join the show.
What about the one that can't be named?

Reaction Score
Well, if (when) that bird is in hand we can factor her into the conversation as well.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
What about the one that can't be named?
I didn’t name her, but I thought about her. Shhhh we don’t want to scare her away

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You know I'm a Kiki fan. I've said so many times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom