Coach P and Edsall - a comparison. | The Boneyard

Coach P and Edsall - a comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We simply can not know what UConn's record would have been had Edsall stayed. Assuming the coaching abilities of Edsall and Coach P were even, you would expect Coach P to not do as well, as he had to learn the skills of the players, install new systems etc. . I think Coach P has done as well as we could expect and if UConn wins Saturday, better. We can however, compare their record with respect to the new teams they took over.

Edsall was also faced with learning the skills of the players, installing new systems, etc.. He took a team that was 9-4 and had a quarterback who was ACC Rookie of the Year and ended up 2-10. His only win against a Div 1 team was against a decimated Miami. Maryland got worse as the season progressed.

Coach P took a team that was 8-5 (with a sophomore quarterback that started 1 game, 1 RS freshman, 1 freshman and a walk-on quarterback) and the team is currently 5-6 and getting better (4 of those victories against Div 1 teams).

I do not know what the future holds for UConn with Coach P, but I am confident it will be better than it would have been with Edsall

Reaction Score
I really think the key to winning Saturday is to shut down Pead and the running game. If we're successful there, and win the turnover and special teams battle, we have a good chance to go bowling.

Beat Cincy.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I really think the key to winning Saturday is to shut down Pead and the running game. If we're successful there, and win the turnover and special teams battle, we have a good chance to go bowling.

Beat Cincy.
I see what you did there... very nice.

Reaction Score
i'm happy with the change. recruiting certainly seems to have improved, which is impressive considering how long he's been away from it. he should only get better after a few years on the road. if you look at P's history at Cuse he took a good program and took them to something like 10 bowls including 3-4 BCS bowls over 12 years. i'd sign up for that in a heartbeat.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Beat Cincy.

Really? the key is stop the other team, win the turnovers and special teams? Insightful. I think scoring more points is key too.

Reaction Score
Well I could have said something really stupid, like the majority of college coaches could've accomplished what Edsall did here.

Reaction Score

Beat Cincy.

Unfortunately, you picked a subject -- UConn football -- that only appears to interest this board insofar as it effects BC or FHCRE.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Topic's clearly labeled - what's the problem? Skip it if it's not of interest.

Reaction Score
Topics clearly labeled - what's the problem? Skip it if it's not of interest.

Everybody is perfectly free to discuss whatever they want so far as I'm concerned. But, presumably, that freedom includes me being able to express my longing for the day when a higher percentage of the traffic on a UConn football board is about UConn football.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Everybody is perfectly free to discuss whatever they want so far as I'm concerned. But, presumably, that freedom includes me being able to express my longing for the day when a higher percentage of the traffic on a UConn football board is about UConn football.
Well, sure, readers can post in whatever thread they like but it seems odd that people would click on a topic just to post that they're tired of reading about it.

Reaction Score
BCU and fhcRE are fun topics. Now if BCU was winning BCS championships and fhcRE was leading his team to ACC championships - where would the humor be? Both think they are too good to be Uconn competitors (ooops, forgot the "how do you know" auto response, change that to "odds are both think"), yet we need to out recruit them. The more they fail and look bad doing it, the better for Uconn.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Well I could have said something really stupid, like the majority of college coaches could've accomplished what Edsall did here.

Yeah, you are right. I think the majority of college coaches could have one game against a top 25 team in 11 years.

Look at it this way - teams like UCONN. We had the newness of BCS football, Rutgers had the stench of Rutgers, SU had crappy facilities and a dump of a city, Cincy came from CUSA and UofL came from CUSA.

Of the coaches from those schools, you have

Great: Brian Kelly, Petrino and Pasqualoni - all went to multiple BCS level bowls

Didn't suck: Schianno, Marrone, Edsall, TOB, Jags, Strong, Davis

Sucked: GROB, Krags

Can't argue that.

Reaction Score
As far as this season's win/loss record at UConn I think Edsall's results would have been influenced by him not pushing JT to the NFL. He knew he was gone and gave Jordan the green light. I think if he was still going to coach at UConn he doesn't do that especially since Jordan played as a true freshman. Going forward we are going to be better Edsall left when he did. He had maxed out mainly in the recruiting area. It's also nice not to be wrapped up in the potential loss of the head coach with all the firings that are going on this year.

Reaction Score
As far as this season's win/loss record at UConn I think Edsall's results would have been influenced by him not pushing JT to the NFL. He knew he was gone and gave Jordan the green light. I think if he was still going to coach at UConn he doesn't do that especially since Jordan played as a true freshman. Going forward we are going to be better Edsall left when he did. He had maxed out mainly in the recruiting area. It's also nice not to be wrapped up in the potential loss of the head coach with all the firings that are going on this year.

From everything we've heard, including those close to Todman who posted here, Todman decided he was off to the NFL long before Edsall knew he was leaving (or before anyone would have thought Todman was going to be drafted).

Reaction Score
I’ll give it a whirl:
Coach P prefers an aggressive, pressure defense. Edsall prefers a bend but don’t break defense.
Coach P prefers a pro style passing attack. Edsall prefers a bend but don’t break defense.
Coach P expects his players to act like professionals and treats them like professionals. Edsall expects his players to act like professionals and treats them like kids in detention.
Coach P lets his coaches coach. Edsall tells his coaches how to coach.
Edsall viewed UCONN as a stepping stone in his career. Coach P views UCONN as a homecoming.
Coach P is the winningest coach in Big East history. Edsall had two winning seasons in the Big East.
This year coach P took over a team with virtually no QB or RB experience and started off slow but has the team improving with hopes of going to a bowl. Edsall took over a team with the ACC rookie of the year at QB and a very good RB. He got off to a good start then drove the team into the ground.
Edsall thinks he needs better players in order to win. In an article today Coach P’s offensive coordinator basically took blame for the slow start on offense. He has his current player’s back.

Reaction Score
Assuming the coaching abilities of Edsall and Coach P were even, you would expect Coach P to not do as well, as he had to learn the skills of the players, install new systems etc. . I think Coach P has done as well as we could expect and if UConn wins Saturday, better.
So 6-6 is where the bar is set? Mike Leach or RRod would have come in and with the same talent, score more points which would have made the difference in quite a few games this season. 6-6 is acceptable only in that UConn is currently 5-6. And then what? A close game in the "Nobody gives a crap bowl" against a MAC team (maybe win 10-7)?

Reaction Score
I’ll give it a whirl:
Coach P prefers an aggressive, pressure defense. Edsall prefers a bend but don’t break defense.
Coach P prefers a pro style passing attack. Edsall prefers a bend but don’t break defense.
Coach P expects his players to act like professionals and treats them like professionals. Edsall expects his players to act like professionals and treats them like kids in detention.
Coach P lets his coaches coach. Edsall tells his coaches how to coach.
Edsall viewed UCONN as a stepping stone in his career. Coach P views UCONN as a homecoming.
Coach P is the winningest coach in Big East history. Edsall had two winning seasons in the Big East.
This year coach P took over a team with virtually no QB or RB experience and started off slow but has the team improving with hopes of going to a bowl. Edsall took over a team with the ACC rookie of the year at QB and a very good RB. He got off to a good start then drove the team into the ground.
Edsall thinks he needs better players in order to win. In an article today Coach P’s offensive coordinator basically took blame for the slow start on offense. He has his current player’s back.
+1

Reaction Score
TD you're really becoming downright obnoxious. do you have any idea how RRod did his first year at WVU? it's pretty obvious that you don't so look it up and tell us how great he is at taking over programs. he's never won more than 3 games in his first season anywhere, but you think he would have been a lock to do better than 6-6? Mike LEach took the REd Raiders to the galleryfurniture.com bowl his first year there. i couldn't make up a worse "nobody gives a crap bowl". they only played it one year for crying out loud and they got stomped by ECU. stop pouting about how we don't pass for 500 yards every game and win the Rose Bowl every year or do us all a favor and become a Rutgers fan.

Reaction Score
TD you're really becoming downright obnoxious. do you have any idea how RRod did his first year at WVU? it's pretty obvious that you don't so look it up and tell us how great he is at taking over programs. he's never won more than 3 games in his first season anywhere, but you think he would have been a lock to do better than 6-6? Mike LEach took the REd Raiders to the galleryfurniture.com bowl his first year there. i couldn't make up a worse "nobody gives a crap bowl". they only played it one year for crying out loud and they got stomped by ECU. stop pouting about how we don't pass for 500 yards every game and win the Rose Bowl every year or do us all a favor and become a Rutgers fan.

Honestly, with these anti-Edsall guys, it's strawman after strawman. They have this notion in their heads about what an "Apologista" believes and how they think. They dream up these bizarre scenarios in their imaginations and honestly believe them to be fact. It's not even worth discussing this topic with them because they are not capable of having a rational conversation about Edsall. They are a waste of time.
We have a pretty big game Saturday. Maybe it's time we take Nan's advice and just move on to discuss (gasp) - UConn football.

Reaction Score
Really? the key is stop the other team, win the turnovers and special teams? Insightful. I think scoring more points is key too.

eh............... common misconception.

Reaction Score
I'll give you one similarity: both were not the right guy for the jobs they currently hold. Won't rehash thoughts on why.

What's depressing about this time of year (coaching silly season wise, not Christmas) is I'm highly doubtul Hathaway ever considered any of the second-tier, up & coming names being floated for coaching jobs throughout the country. Kevin Sumlin, OC and DCs you've never heard of, guys like that. Please don't mention JH 'had Neinas advising him'. Neinas is an old-boys network mercenary who may have saved the Big 12 but is throwing us under the bus in the process.

Hathaway alienated RE. That's fine, but if you're going to piss someone off and dare them to leave, you better have a good plan B. Turned out JH didn't, and made a quickie panic 'safe' hire.

Reaction Score
And DiMauro weighs in on Edsall. Some good points. warning: messy departure not mentioned

http://Post original url/uV7wC6

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I am willing to admit that I badly overrated Randy Edsall's coaching ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom