Coach Ollie and the new timeout rules | The Boneyard

Coach Ollie and the new timeout rules

Reaction Score
Coach Ollie has been criticized multiple times this season for not calling timeouts to halt an opponent's run, which we've seen often this season and which have changed the complexion of games very quickly. I don't think it is KO's fault.

The NCAA changed the timeout rules before the 2015-16 season, reducing each team's timeouts from 5 to 4 while having the 'scripted' timeouts at deadballs at the 16, 12 8, and 4 minute marks. That forces the coaches to hoard their timeouts for the end of games, so most of them will only call 1 timeout in the first half that can't be carried to the second half.

What I'd to see is the NCAA giving that timeout back to the coaches in exchange for 1 of those deadball TO's, so there wouldn't be any additional TO's in the game, but you'd be giving back a little more control to the coaches.Would the advertisers agree to this? They'd still get the same number of commercial spots.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
But Jim Calhoun burned all five in the first half multiple times!

Reaction Score
There are too many timeouts in general, coach or dead ball. Slows the game down to a snails pace.

Reaction Score
which is why i still can't understand why he burned 2 in the first half against houston.

Reaction Score
which is why i still can't understand why he burned 2 in the first half against houston.

I haven't seen a replay but at the time it kind of looked like he was yelling/criticizing Purvis for calling the timeout (I was wondering why he was using it as well). Maybe he didn't want it called but Purvis thought they hadn't burned one yet. Anyone else see this?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I haven't seen a replay but at the time it kind of looked like he was yelling/criticizing Purvis for calling the timeout (I was wondering why he was using it as well). Maybe he didn't want it called but Purvis thought they hadn't burned one yet. Anyone else see this?
Someone else commented the same thing that evening

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom