Coach Meier comments on Breanna Stewart.....wow..!! | The Boneyard

Coach Meier comments on Breanna Stewart.....wow..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
On Breanna Stewart’s MVP performance:
"She’s such a special player and just when you think she’s tapped out, she’s getting better. Even throughout this tournament, she faced a lot of different defenses and a lot of different strategies. She’s patient and she hunts her shots when we need her. She rose to the occasion and that’s kind of her M.O.
Wow, it’s a joy. She is joyful. She is just so fun to coach.

Before the game when we were in the hotel lobby, I said, ‘I just want you to know, I came to win.’ And she’s like ‘I got you coach.’ It was like, ‘wow.’ The kid’s got all that pressure on her and she told me she got me. She’s a champion."

What did Stewie say in response:
What was the key to the victory?
Definitely defense. You could see that they scored 20 points in the first half and then only eight in the second. I think that we really wanted to make a third quarter run and we did that, starting with our defense, which led to transition offense.

Were you a little surprised to hear your named called as the MVP?
Yeah. I was just having fun this tournament. I was really looking forward to it. Shots were falling, which is always really nice, but the gold is the most important thing.

On becoming the USA’s all-time leading U19 World Championship scoring leader:
I think that’s news to me. Coach Meier said it after the game. But, it’s just points. You could score points and still lose the game. I’m just happy that we won the game.

Do you think your leadership role on this team is going to help you next season at Connecticut?
I definitely think it is going to help me. At UConn I was obviously an underclassman, but being really able to try to create more of a leadership role for myself, I think that will only help me at UConn.

Stewie has got to be one of the most modest superstar ever....Go Huskies..!!

eric....ur right, corrected..;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Stewie has got to be the most modest superstar ever....Go Huskies..!!
Great quotes indeed. Most modest superstar? Not sure about that - Maya is incredibly humble, and was the hardest working player on the team (not that the other players didn't work hard). Tina is very humble. But point well taken - Bree is the quintessential UCONN player - hard working, all about the team and the W, skilled and talented, and humble. What a great representative for the university.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I watched the game on ESPN3 and recognized that the defense of the U.S. was incredibly strong, but didn't realize until reading the quotes above that France scored only 8 points in the second half -- 6 points in the third quarter and just 2 in the fourth. All I can say is wow!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I watched the game on ESPN3 and recognized that the defense of the U.S. was incredibly strong, but didn't realize until reading the quotes above that France scored only 8 points in the second half -- 6 points in the third quarter and just 2 in the fourth. All I can say is wow!
That is a little misleading in that France's catalyst and best player Epoupa got injured at the 3:16 mark of the 3rd Q with France having scored six points in the quarter and trailing by 13. France did not score again in the 3rd Q and scored one basket in the 4th Q at the 4:17 point. USA defense had already been doing a great job in Q3 and continued to play great, but it was also really helped by the fact that France's whole offensive plan was built around Epoupa's speed and ability to break down her defender and create opportunities for the rest of the team. Without her the French offense was a mess.

Reaction Score
If you can, just imagine how great she will be in her Senior year at UCONN ! There is no limit on on what Stewie will and can do on the bball court. Her attitude and her demeanor on, and off the court is the clincher. A young lady with her bball skills, leadership skills, with a super attitude does not come along very often. We are so lucky to have her.

Plus, it is like it was with Diana Taurasi, Geno will not let Stewie cheat her talent. With Geno and CD both working with Stewie, my gosh the finished product will be scary good and iI for one cannot wait !

Reaction Score
Go to ASAP sports transcripts basketball 2013 NCAA women' s final four and read Kelly, Breanna, Geno's comments to reporters questions, 5 pages long, but very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom