Coach K gets his first K | The Boneyard

Coach K gets his first K

Reaction Score
not my favorite coach or person by any means, but give him his due: he's been really successful when it came to recruiting 4 year student-athletes and when it came to adjusting to recruiting the one-and-done:

Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski became the first men’s Division I coach to win 1,000 games at one school Saturday night when his top-ranked Blue Devils beat Utah Valley 99-69 behind 24 points and 10 rebounds from freshman Marvin Bagley III.

Reaction Score
In my world any team that has 3 or more one and done players in any two year period would be ineligible for the NCAA tournament the following year.

Reaction Score
not my favorite coach or person by any means, but give him his due: he's been really successful when it came to recruiting 4 year student-athletes and when it came to adjusting to recruiting the one-and-done:

Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski became the first men’s Division I coach to win 1,000 games at one school Saturday night when his top-ranked Blue Devils beat Utah Valley 99-69 behind 24 points and 10 rebounds from freshman Marvin Bagley III.
Bags --Call me naive, which in some areas is very true, since I only know of K's successes--what makes him less of a coach either or person?? I can accept that those whom you may not know are not your favorites---I can accept that, unless there is a deep dark side to K. If winning is terrible, hang Geno or Tara too late for some others. This is NOT argumentative no hidden meanings--just asking.

Reaction Score
In my world any team that has 3 or more one and done players in any two year period would be ineligible for the NCAA tournament the following year.
Why? Aren't kids with talent allowed to show in college their salable talent to prospective buyers? You and I know making it through 4 consecutive years of College for some kids just is not possible. Those that opt out early may have family needs as is true of Women who opt out when they meet the requirements. I understand that the one and done hurt some schools and programs and some kids don't belong--but I can't take that option away from some kids. It took me getting rid of the ram rod up my---spine---to accept the one and done. Education comes in many forms.

Reaction Score
Why? Aren't kids with talent allowed to show in college their salable talent to prospective buyers? You and I know making it through 4 consecutive years of College for some kids just is not possible. Those that opt out early may have family needs as is true of Women who opt out when they meet the requirements. I understand that the one and done hurt some schools and programs and some kids don't belong--but I can't take that option away from some kids. It took me getting rid of the ram rod up my---spine---to accept the one and done. Education comes in many forms.

Nothing is stopping those players from spending a year in college and opting out. What it discourages are coaches loading up their teams with those players. And believe me, coaches know who they are.

The one and done phenomenon came about when the NBA stopped drafting high school players. It saves pro teams from having to keep these players on their payrolls while they mature. And it's ruining the college game. Try explaining how any of these players are in any way student-athletes? I'd be willing to bet most take a minimum of credits in gut courses that in no way resemble a path to a degree.

Reaction Score
Bags --Call me naive, which in some areas is very true, since I only know of K's successes--what makes him less of a coach either or person?? I can accept that those whom you may not know are not your favorites---I can accept that, unless there is a deep dark side to K. If winning is terrible, hang Geno or Tara too late for some others. This is NOT argumentative no hidden meanings--just asking.
No problem, BroadwayVa. Maybe I shouldn't have expressed my personal views, since they are quirky, and instead just celebrated his success. But--these are somewhat petty and personal--among other things, K sometimes acts as if the University were there for his team rather than vice-versa. And then there was the time he used official Duke stationary to try to raise money for his favorite political party (which was not mine!). And there's a lot of whining about stuff. And most importantly, he favors a style of California Cabernet Sauvignon that I find really objectionable. I told you I was petty. :)

I do not like thee, Doctor Fell,
The reason why, I cannot tell;
But this I know, and know full well,
I do not like thee, Doctor Fell.
--Thomas Brown

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I don’t love the one year rule either, but you’ve gotta give K massive props for adjusting to the times and landing massive classes year in and year out.

Regarding 1 and dones, many other players will start to follow in the footsteps of Bagley and Porter Jr by graduating high school early so they can play college basketball a year and effectively enter the pros after what would’ve been their HS senior season.

Reaction Score
Nothing is stopping those players from spending a year in college and opting out. What it discourages are coaches loading up their teams with those players. And believe me, coaches know who they are.

The one and done phenomenon came about when the NBA stopped drafting high school players. It saves pro teams from having to keep these players on their payrolls while they mature. And it's ruining the college game. Try explaining how any of these players are in any way student-athletes? I'd be willing to bet most take a minimum of credits in gut courses that in no way resemble a path to a degree.
And quit when the season is over.

Reaction Score
Got to grad school at Duke 1-2 years before K arrived (I started in 1979). Great coach and all his former players swear by him.

Reaction Score
No problem, BroadwayVa. Maybe I shouldn't have expressed my personal views, since they are quirky, and instead just celebrated his success. But--these are somewhat petty and personal--among other things, K sometimes acts as if the University were there for his team rather than vice-versa. And then there was the time he used official Duke stationary to try to raise money for his favorite political party (which was not mine!). And there's a lot of whining about stuff. And most importantly, he favors a style of California Cabernet Sauvignon that I find really objectionable. I told you I was petty. :)

I do not like thee, Doctor Fell,
The reason why, I cannot tell;
But this I know, and know full well,
I do not like thee, Doctor Fell.
--Thomas Brown
Got it!!\
You and I in terms of use of Educational facilities and limited funding think along the same lines. In my ignorance and naivete, possible a touch of Lenin thrown in, I believe exaggerated salaries for Coaches do little to aid the University. It may be argued that that coach or another may bring attention to the College. I contend should all Coaches received that which the Virginia Tech coach receives as base salary--the rankings of teams would differ little from now.
Possibly the solution is for Professor salaries to be based on a high percentage of that which the Coaches receive.
Silly me!

Reaction Score

The NBA dropped the HS rule and the Colleges dropped the JV teams. JV teams served 2 functions: 1. Acclimation to college and 2 learning the fundamentals of the game. Also it told HS students : You'll be in College 2 years before you start running with the REAL team. Who is the culprit: NBA?, Players? Colleges? Fans? Alums?

Reaction Score
The NBA dropped the HS rule and the Colleges dropped the JV teams. JV teams served 2 functions: 1. Acclimation to college and 2 learning the fundamentals of the game. Also it told HS students : You'll be in College 2 years before you start running with the REAL team. Who is the culprit: NBA?, Players? Colleges? Fans? Alums?

Freshman ineligibility goes back to the 70's. Making HS players ineligible for the NBA is relatively recent. And eliminating freshman ball stopped programs like UCLA and Kentucky from stockpiling talent. When Jabbar was a freshman at UCLA his team beat the varsity.

The concept of "rent a player" is widespread in pro sports. I think it's sad that it has spread to mcbb and that Coach K had to play the rent a player game in order to compete for a title.

Reaction Score
Freshman ineligibility goes back to the 70's. Making HS players ineligible for the NBA is relatively recent. And eliminating freshman ball stopped programs like UCLA and Kentucky from stockpiling talent. When Jabbar was a freshman at UCLA his team beat the varsity.

The concept of "rent a player" is widespread in pro sports. I think it's sad that it has spread to mcbb and that Coach K had to play the rent a player game in order to compete for a title.
I didn't mention when JV was no longer an option.
As you well know most sports pro or college is cyclical in nature. If JV's in Kentuck, UCLA stockpiled talent so too was it in other place. Young talent is like banana's : You never know what you get until you try them
But since this is about opinions and JV's are not coming back and neither is the HS NBA rule: We shall never know. But I do like your suggestion of RENT A PLAYER---Princeton, MIT, Harvard, Yale, UCLA, USC with their deep pockets and Fed dollars (apparently) would dominate every game. Money doesn't only burn a hole in the pocket--it makes the sports world go round and round.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom