Coach Diaco On The Level Discussing UConn Defense (D. Connor) | The Boneyard

Coach Diaco On The Level Discussing UConn Defense (D. Connor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I went over to see what the scout board looked like after Ken's whining and OMG what a disaster.

It's basically Okielite trying to antagonize us with a smattering of non UConn fans telling him what a he is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gotta love Diaco.

"So, you get a defense called and you learn where you're supposed to stand, not only your horizontal alignment but your vertical alignment, and you learn what your key is and you learn what your assignment is," Diaco said. "That would be somewhere between remedial and 100 level; 100 level is they're going to run and they're going to pass the ball and you know your assignment and you don't take a false step on the key to do your assignment. Now you know you're operating at 100 level, but there's so much more that you need to do as you become a better, more productive player."

Two hundred level?
"I'll have to get closer to my assignment; I have to make a call," Diaco said, referring to what a player needs to do. If I'm going to move to my right, to know that, to be able to see it.
"Make that change without the coaches doing it for you; you did it yourself. We call it our toolbox. That's a 200 level."

Three hundred level is a combination of the first two and recognizing formations, knowing what the offense is going to run.
"All I'm waiting for is my key to move so I can get into the play that I already know it's going to be," Diaco said. That's 300 level."

Four hundred level, Diaco said, is when the player has it all down.
"I've got it all. I've used my toolbox. I've seen the formation. I know the three or four plays it's going to be," Diaco said. "As soon as my key moves, I'm going to run into the play. ... Ball is snapped, key moves, [Diaco smacks his hands together loudly] I'm already on my way there. That's how you make a lot of plays. That's when you're operating at a 400 level."

500 level? That's championship level, or am I confusing him with Ollie?

Reaction Score
The description of his defense just sounds ridiculous. From what I can gather, it sounds like the levels are levels of understanding of assignments alignment etc, when in play?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Diaco's description of defensive assignments is not atypical. It's just like anything else - you work your way up until all aspects become second nature - read and react. I would also think that with the knowledge comes an intuitive seems of what will happen - you just know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom