CNN Reports Geno's "Rant" | The Boneyard

CNN Reports Geno's "Rant"

Reaction Score
upload_2017-3-23_9-28-32.png

...Auriemma made the comments at a news conference during the NCAA women's Final Four in 2016, but Matt Lisle, a professional hitting coach, shared them on Facebook on Monday. The video has been viewed more than 35 million times on Facebook.

Why did year-old comments strike such a chord?

I put that question to some prominent voices in the sports world and to my Facebook community. The response was quick and universal: There is too much of a "me" culture in youth sports, too much involvement by parents, too many coaches concerned only with winning and too little focus on just playing the game.

'Life is not a highlight film'

"What Coach Auriemma is addressing is accountability and responsibility for who you are and how you interact with others," said Donna Orender, former president of the WNBA. "We hear so much and see so much of the coddled generation these days and especially in youth sports, where there is a focus on the 'me' culture in the scramble to be seen and earn a scholarship."

John O'Sullivan is a former college and professional soccer player who started the Changing the Game Project. His organization aims to return youth sports to children and "put the 'play' back in 'play ball.'"

He said it makes him sad when he sees youth coaches allow the type of behavior described by Auriemma. "It is our responsibility as coaches to teach kids to be humble, to be hungry and to be a great teammates. It amazes me how many coaches ignore this responsibility because a player's talent might lead to a win."

[FULL ARTICLE]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After this year, Geno should retire from UConn and become the next Dr. Phil on morning talk shows. That's what this sounds like....Sorry, I don't buy this seat-of-the-pants cultural criticism. Because of technology, the world is changing at its quickest pace ever by several standard deviations. Trying to analyze "kids today" over the past 25 years in isolation of these spectacular and scary changes (such as: will my job be replaced by a robot?) is like trying to typify March weather based on one day.

Reaction Score
After this year, Geno should retire from UConn and become the next Dr. Phil on morning talk shows. That's what this sounds like....Sorry, I don't buy this seat-of-the-pants cultural criticism. Because of technology, the world is changing at its quickest pace ever by several standard deviations. Trying to analyze "kids today" over the past 25 years in isolation of these spectacular and scary changes (such as: will my job be replaced by a robot?) is like trying to typify March weather based on one day.
Technology yes, but in my view most of the fault belongs to the parents, or lack thereof.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Coach Lisle's post really kick started this phenomenon. But it apparently isn't slowing down. I think it is fine and rarely do I disagree with bags27, but think he's off base on this one. I do dislike the "rant" characterization as it feeds an inaccurate stereotype kept alive by the haters. Emphatic, yes, ranting hardly.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
He says lots of things about the difficulties he has finding players to recruit, this being just the latest and by far the most talked about. Some of it has to do with the transformation that has occurred with the Uconn program specifically, and some have to do with either perceived or actual changes in society - just because socisety is changing more rapidly today than 100 years ago, doesn't make those changes any more real. And an example is this particular clip - with 35 million views and counting, I fully expect to see some seriously enthusiastic benches in every sport over the next year! And Uconn was one of the first teams I remember seeing where every player went to help up a player on the floor, and people sprinted to the sideline for time outs or when they were subbed, but it is all over the sport now - emulation being a form of flattery.

On his issues with recruiting - things about the program that have changed:
1. When he started, getting a #50 ranked player would help improve his team measurably and nranked players were important recruits, now they generally provide bench depth.
2. When he started, no one he recruited needed to handle the pressure of the glare of publicity, they practiced and played in obscurity - now they need to have a level of poise and he has had at least one player transfer because they couldn't.
3. When he started getting into the conference tournament was a goal, now the expectation every year is a FF and an NC - some players do not thrive under that pressure and he needs to identify those that will and are willing to put in the effort that those expectations demand.

On Societal changes:
1. Getting an athletic scholarship was certainly a goal for many athletes and a nice idea for many parents, but for women it had not yet become a family imperative and focus - now it has become an obsession. part of that has to do with both the inflation in the value of a college education and the fact that college education costs have outstripped inflation.
2. Sports networks and plays of the day/highlight tapes have proliferated and on-line viral videos have proliferated (come into existence) and glorified individualism in all team sports and what started as professional behavior is emulated down to the peewee level.
3. Multiple sport athletes have all but disappeared, and young athletes are training and playing a single sport year around. And they are playing more games and training individually so they are developing individually and not getting the level of coaching and team training they used to. Nor are they going from being a star in their best sport, to being a great teammate in their secondary sports.

So the program changes impose restrictions on the player pool that will succeed in the program, while the societal changes reduce the athletes that the coaches want to recruit either because of their families or themselves. Did the societal issues exist before, I am sure they did, but the pool of players that could succeed in the program was larger so they probably weren't as noticeable. And they weren't as wide spread given the changes that have accelerated them. They used to talk about 'Stage Moms' going back to the beginnings of Hollywood, so the ambitious parent has been around at least that long, and it has certainly been around in sports since I was a kid with the obnoxious father in the stands, but in girls sports it has certainly been a more recent phenomenon, and one that certainly seems to have proliferated over the last 20 years.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
For a moment that made such a huge impression on me, I apologize for being a little sparse on details but I'm sure other can supply the game info (and probably the video :))... There was a game in which Kia Nurse came off the floor in tears of frustration at not being able to throw the ball in the ocean, a terrible shooting performance. Of course, the cameras followed her to the bench and gave us a closeup that almost brought ME to tears. She looked so sad and frustrated. My instinct would be to throw an arm over her shoulder and give her words of encouragement. Then I see Geno interact with her, apparently angry with her, but it wasn't easy to tell what he was upset with. I was a little shocked... "geez, lighten up", I thought "the kid cares SO much and just wants to help her team.

Then later I see or read the post game interview where he is still not happy about her "selfish" attitude. She was so upset by her shooting, he said, that she was letting her teammates down in other areas. There was lots she could do other than score to help the team, so stop being so selfish... wow. My first thought was "what a jerk, and in public no less." Then I did some deeper thinking about it and came to the conclusion that he was absolutely right AND KIA KNEW IT, as subsequent public statements indicated.

That was some serious tough love right there, but I see the player Kia is now (so mentally tough and mature) and I think about that moment... Geno and CD's unrelenting adherence to standards (and Shea's and Marissa's) are the foundation of this dynasty, and the kids that thrive here understand how it benefits the team and them individually. So all Geno is saying in his "rant" is that kids like that are getting rarer and rarer. It is amazing that our coaching staff is able to identify and gather them into these amazing teams we get to root for. I'm so sick of hearing "Of course they never lose, they get the best players every year" BS! They find the BEST PEOPLE and turn them into the BEST TEAM... big difference.

Reaction Score
For a moment that made such a huge impression on me, I apologize for being a little sparse on details but I'm sure other can supply the game info (and probably the video :))... There was a game in which Kia Nurse came off the floor in tears of frustration at not being able to throw the ball in the ocean, a terrible shooting performance. Of course, the cameras followed her to the bench and gave us a closeup that almost brought ME to tears. She looked so sad and frustrated. My instinct would be to throw an arm over her shoulder and give her words of encouragement. Then I see Geno interact with her, apparently angry with her, but it wasn't easy to tell what he was upset with. I was a little shocked... "geez, lighten up", I thought "the kid cares SO much and just wants to help her team...
I remember that vividly and had a similar reaction.

What I think he really said though was, there's no crying in basebasketball! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
He said nothing wrong... lol... if people are really upset about his comments, then they must be those people that the put the "ME" in team lol :)

Reaction Score
View attachment 21035

...Auriemma made the comments at a news conference during the NCAA women's Final Four in 2016, but Matt Lisle, a professional hitting coach, shared them on Facebook on Monday. The video has been viewed more than 35 million times on Facebook.

Why did year-old comments strike such a chord?

I put that question to some prominent voices in the sports world and to my Facebook community. The response was quick and universal: There is too much of a "me" culture in youth sports, too much involvement by parents, too many coaches concerned only with winning and too little focus on just playing the game.

'Life is not a highlight film'

"What Coach Auriemma is addressing is accountability and responsibility for who you are and how you interact with others," said Donna Orender, former president of the WNBA. "We hear so much and see so much of the coddled generation these days and especially in youth sports, where there is a focus on the 'me' culture in the scramble to be seen and earn a scholarship."

John O'Sullivan is a former college and professional soccer player who started the Changing the Game Project. His organization aims to return youth sports to children and "put the 'play' back in 'play ball.'"

He said it makes him sad when he sees youth coaches allow the type of behavior described by Auriemma. "It is our responsibility as coaches to teach kids to be humble, to be hungry and to be a great teammates. It amazes me how many coaches ignore this responsibility because a player's talent might lead to a win."

[FULL ARTICLE]
I like put Play in the the Play ball---Geno ---is exceptionally demanding from all we've seen and read about his practices and expectations and the execution by his teams. Can't be much "play" in that.

Coddling, spoiled kids --is terrible--and I agree with some of that---But BAGS27 can probably give me the source of the ancient comment----kids are disrespectful, unruly, and headed towards damnation--one of the pre BC 1000 thinker supposedly is quoted along those lines.
In the past century---each previous generation complained about the music of the current: most likely because it was the first time in history it was so widely and loudly disperse by electronic mediums.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Don't let the "rant" label throw you. Among younger people, a rant is any empassioned speech about anything. Geno's remarks qualify under this contemporary lexicography.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Can't be much "play" in that.

Actually there is a heck of a lot of fun in it as reported by the kids in the program. In fact, one of the huddle up rituals in UConn's lexicon of rituals ends with "play hard, have fun." It's also a big slogan on the wall; I forget where. There is immense satisfaction in acquiring a new skill, putting it to use and, yes, winning.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Don't let the "rant" label throw you. Among younger people, a rant is any empassioned speech about anything. Geno's remarks qualify under this contemporary lexicography.

What is that ... anything beyond a twitter 120 is a rant? ;)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I coached young kids in baseball and hoops. I have three sons who all played at least little league baseball. I've felt for a long time that kids are playing organized team sports at way too young an age. Ten years old is plenty early enough. Having 6 and even 5 year olds play an organized sport creates too serious an environment. Playing pick up games is way different from putting on a uniform, going to practice, and having parents watching, coaching from the stands, yelling.

When a kid messes up in a schoolyard game it's not a big deal. It all changes when it's organized. Winning becomes all important to the kids even if the coach tries to minimize it. As Willie Mays said, he couldn't believe he was paid for playing a kids game. That all it is and there's plenty enough time for kids to be exposed to organized sport and too little time for plain old pick up games. But I have no opinion.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

What I think he really said though was, there's no crying in basebasketball! :rolleyes:

I also remember it but I had a different reaction. I believe he said something akin to "quit feeling sorry for yourself and figure out how you can help your team." In my view based on what I have seen of Nurse's character, that was exactly the right thing to say.

Something I learned a long time ago - a kick in the ass is often more inspiring than a hug.

Reaction Score
g6y

I agree with everything you say :except. Your comment on technology and variants of standards is very correct.
But ONE Doctor Phil is more than any 5 generations ever needed. Dr Phil is entertainment and for the people who can no longer look into your window and see how you are living --and then judge you saying---I'm so much better than thou. Our new moral standard.
In my comment below---I tried to quote --a philosopher over 100o years ago made a comment on "kids today"
I'm sure with your vast ancient history knowledge has that on the tip of your fingers.

Reaction Score
I also remember it but I had a different reaction. I believe he said something akin to "quit feeling sorry for yourself and figure out how you can help your team." In my view based on what I have seen of Nurse's character, that was exactly the right thing to say.

Something I learned a long time ago - a kick in the ass is often more inspiring than a hug.

He stole that line from JFK---and modified it: Ask NOT what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country----Insert Team and replace Country--and you have Geno.

A great man once said: A good pat on the back does much to inspire others---if administered low enough.

Reaction Score

Didn't tom hanks play Geno in that move???

Reaction Score
He says lots of things about the difficulties he has finding players to recruit, this being just the latest and by far the most talked about. Some of it has to do with the transformation that has occurred with the Uconn program specifically, and some have to do with either perceived or actual changes in society - just because socisety is changing more rapidly today than 100 years ago, doesn't make those changes any more real. And an example is this particular clip - with 35 million views and counting, I fully expect to see some seriously enthusiastic benches in every sport over the next year! And Uconn was one of the first teams I remember seeing where every player went to help up a player on the floor, and people sprinted to the sideline for time outs or when they were subbed, but it is all over the sport now - emulation being a form of flattery.

On his issues with recruiting - things about the program that have changed:
1. When he started, getting a #50 ranked player would help improve his team measurably and nranked players were important recruits, now they generally provide bench depth.
2. When he started, no one he recruited needed to handle the pressure of the glare of publicity, they practiced and played in obscurity - now they need to have a level of poise and he has had at least one player transfer because they couldn't.
3. When he started getting into the conference tournament was a goal, now the expectation every year is a FF and an NC - some players do not thrive under that pressure and he needs to identify those that will and are willing to put in the effort that those expectations demand.

On Societal changes:
1. Getting an athletic scholarship was certainly a goal for many athletes and a nice idea for many parents, but for women it had not yet become a family imperative and focus - now it has become an obsession. part of that has to do with both the inflation in the value of a college education and the fact that college education costs have outstripped inflation.
2. Sports networks and plays of the day/highlight tapes have proliferated and on-line viral videos have proliferated (come into existence) and glorified individualism in all team sports and what started as professional behavior is emulated down to the peewee level.
3. Multiple sport athletes have all but disappeared, and young athletes are training and playing a single sport year around. And they are playing more games and training individually so they are developing individually and not getting the level of coaching and team training they used to. Nor are they going from being a star in their best sport, to being a great teammate in their secondary sports.

So the program changes impose restrictions on the player pool that will succeed in the program, while the societal changes reduce the athletes that the coaches want to recruit either because of their families or themselves. Did the societal issues exist before, I am sure they did, but the pool of players that could succeed in the program was larger so they probably weren't as noticeable. And they weren't as wide spread given the changes that have accelerated them. They used to talk about 'Stage Moms' going back to the beginnings of Hollywood, so the ambitious parent has been around at least that long, and it has certainly been around in sports since I was a kid with the obnoxious father in the stands, but in girls sports it has certainly been a more recent phenomenon, and one that certainly seems to have proliferated over the last 20 years.

Stage --mom's/fathers/cousins --have been around as long as youth programs have been around pre-1900---Relatives who wouldn't dare volunteer to participate in these programs be they sports or 4 H ,CYO, Scouts -girls/boys--believe you as their leader/coach must listen to any words of critiques they choose to impart--regardless of how insulting. This may be the reason some, if not many, volunteer leaders/coaches--drop the programs.

While the program grew like Topsy for a few formative years---Geno's book of quips remained with him---since at least 1995
I have hear nearly all of his---inspirational comments --they are often repeated.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
For a moment that made such a huge impression on me, I apologize for being a little sparse on details but I'm sure other can supply the game info (and probably the video :))... There was a game in which Kia Nurse came off the floor in tears of frustration at not being able to throw the ball in the ocean, a terrible shooting performance. Of course, the cameras followed her to the bench and gave us a closeup that almost brought ME to tears. She looked so sad and frustrated. My instinct would be to throw an arm over her shoulder and give her words of encouragement. Then I see Geno interact with her, apparently angry with her, but it wasn't easy to tell what he was upset with. I was a little shocked... "geez, lighten up", I thought "the kid cares SO much and just wants to help her team.

Then later I see or read the post game interview where he is still not happy about her "selfish" attitude. She was so upset by her shooting, he said, that she was letting her teammates down in other areas. There was lots she could do other than score to help the team, so stop being so selfish... wow. My first thought was "what a jerk, and in public no less." Then I did some deeper thinking about it and came to the conclusion that he was absolutely right AND KIA KNEW IT, as subsequent public statements indicated.

That was some serious tough love right there, but I see the player Kia is now (so mentally tough and mature) and I think about that moment... Geno and CD's unrelenting adherence to standards (and Shea's and Marissa's) are the foundation of this dynasty, and the kids that thrive here understand how it benefits the team and them individually. So all Geno is saying in his "rant" is that kids like that are getting rarer and rarer. It is amazing that our coaching staff is able to identify and gather them into these amazing teams we get to root for. I'm so sick of hearing "Of course they never lose, they get the best players every year" BS! They find the BEST PEOPLE and turn them into the BEST TEAM... big difference.
I'm going to guess it was this game:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
But ONE Doctor Phil is more than any 5 generations ever needed

Very good. The shock jock of psychiatry who lost his license to practice and became the pontificating butt hole of day time television. I was walking on the range the other day and saw a rather large rock, flat, sorta like a tombstone lying flat and it had some words scratched into it. I knelt to examine it and in crudely etched words it said RIP All Those W and the rest of this rok was buried under a desert sediment. Curious, I grabbed an old broken branch of sage brush and scrapped the rock clean. The rest: HO Had Dr. Phil as Their Psychiatrist. Just then, off in the distance, a coyote howled.

Reaction Score
Very good. The shock jock of psychiatry who lost his license to practice and became the pontificating butt hole of day time television. I was walking on the range the other day and saw a rather large rock, flat, sorta like a tombstone lying flat and it had some words scratched into it. I knelt to examine it and in crudely etched words it said RIP All Those W and the rest of this rok was buried under a desert sediment. Curious, I grabbed an old broken branch of sage brush and scrapped the rock clean. The rest: HO Had Dr. Phil as Their Psychiatrist. Just then, off in the distance, a coyote howled.
You've been reading my BS too long----but I share your love and as a avid follower of a great mental health specialist (in Hartford not to be named) I too share your views of his abilities-- Phil Donahew (sp) showed the world how to look like an expert when you know nothing--he made a fortune --repeating what the expert said the week before--as his own.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom