Club v HS Soccer | The Boneyard

Club v HS Soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good article in the local paper in the tough choice a lot of high school players have in US to play for the technically superior private (and very expensive) club teams or playing in front of family and friends for the glory of a state title. At least the girls in Jersey can play both if schedules permit right now, boys who play for a private club can only play for the club, they cannot also play high school soccer (or any high school sport really as club soccer is year round).

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/h...-scholastic-a-tough-choice-1.1135915?page=all

On better news, heading to the local high school tonight with some hot chocolate to catch the Jersey Group 1 (small schools) Semi-final match (Group 1, i.e. small) between nearby Waldwick and state power Harrison (same city where Red Bulls arena is located). Should be an exciting game as both teams like to score. Waldwick is the newcomer that has won several sectional titles lately; but, has not been able to get over the hump to the state championship having fallen to Harrison, which has 24 states titles (Group 1 & 2), twice in the last 4 years.

Reaction Score
never mind High School, a club can decimate a town travel program at a younger level if they pull their players.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well around here (MA), kids can play club and HS soccer. It's if the kid plays Academy soccer that they can't play HS. I thought it was that way in most of the country?

Ah, ok, read the article. It's just because they have things scheduled the same weekend. In MA you can't miss a HS game for a club game. Or you can be suspended, unless you get a waiver. Actually goes for any sport. e.g. a hockey player or basketball player who plays soccer in the fall has a travel team tourney.

Reaction Score
There are plusses and minuses to both. But the HS season is too short. Really what needs to happen is that soccer needs to be a two season (spring/fall) sport, if they want to compete with the clubs.

The problem with club/academy soccer is that you basically are not playing in front of your friends and the cost is just too ridiculous.

There are so many latinos in America that get overlooked. We have a ton of talent that is slipping through the cracks.

One of things that made Clint Dempsey so great is that because he had no other option for a while, he played in a local Mexican league as a kid. How many priveleged white kids in the straight teeth and SUV brigade would be willing to do that?

Jurgen Klinsmann is right, all of the different levels of soccer, club, HS, Academies, college etc... are not connected or integrated. And there are a ton of artificial barriers imposed by socioeconomic factors that should have nothing to with anything.

Reaction Score
Well around here (MA), kids can play club and HS soccer. It's if the kid plays Academy soccer that they can't play HS. I thought it was that way in most of the country?

Ah, ok, read the article. It's just because they have things scheduled the same weekend. In MA you can't miss a HS game for a club game. Or you can be suspended, unless you get a waiver. Actually goes for any sport. e.g. a hockey player or basketball player who plays soccer in the fall has a travel team tourney.

My understanding in NJ, girl can play both HS and Club, schedule permitting, boys cannot and must choose Club or HS based on Club rules. That rule really hurt on of the local high school programs where I live; but, it has less of an impact of the inner suburbs, like Harrison, because many of those families can't pony up the money for clubs (sadly college, too).

Reaction Score
If you're good enough to be in an Academy, then why would you play HS soccer? Academies practice 4-5 times a week when would you have time for the HS team?

The Philadelphia Union's Academy is actually an accredited middle and high school. Which is even more involved than reputable European Academies such as Ajax and La Masia (Barca).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If you're good enough to be in an Academy, then why would you play HS soccer? Academies practice 4-5 times a week when would you have time for the HS team?

The Philadelphia Union's Academy is actually an accredited middle and high school. Which is even more involved than reputable European Academies such as Ajax and La Masia (Barca).
That's kind of the idea. But of course HS coaches and such don't like it.

Reaction Score
That's kind of the idea. But of course HS coaches and such don't like it.

HS soccer is going to be a lot like HS (Non Prep) hockey pretty soon, if it isn't already. Unfortunately, this may not be a good thing since club soccer is so costly. This is what really needs to be fixed the most. Our nation is so big, but pay to play just makes us smaller.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
HS soccer is going to be a lot like HS (Non Prep) hockey pretty soon, if it isn't already. Unfortunately, this may not be a good thing since club soccer is so costly. This is what really needs to be fixed the most. Our nation is so big, but pay to play just makes us smaller.
Exactly. Pay to play. Cuts out so many potential players.

Reaction Score
Unless you are a part of a MLS academy, then the cost is a heck of a lot less. That is only about 20 locations in the country though.

Reaction Score
Kids can play both HS and Club, most club teams take a short hiatus during the HS season. My son played for Barcelona Norcal this winter, spring and summer and for his HS in the fall.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Your son's club must not be affliated as one of the 'official' US Development Academies as the rule baring those players from HS soccer teams has been around since 2012.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/s...-school-players-to-choose.html?pagewanted=all

Sort of related. But this is a great article on what European Academies offer. I read this and I felt kind of envious. I wish every MLS owner that bleats when Jurgen Klinsmann advises a select few youngsters to take the offers they have gotten from some of the Club Academies in Europe would read this. Because while our academies are coming along, they aren't at this level yet.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2014/11/12/fulham-academy-usmnt-usa-emerson-hyndman-fulhamerica

Reaction Score
Sort of related. But this is a great article on what European Academies offer. I read this and I felt kind of envious. I wish every MLS owner that bleats when Jurgen Klinsmann advises a select few youngsters to take the offers they have gotten from some of the Club Academies in Europe would read this. Because while our academies are coming along, they aren't at this level yet.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2014/11/12/fulham-academy-usmnt-usa-emerson-hyndman-fulhamerica

Good clip. Culturally, one of the big differences between the US and Europe is that major sports programs for 14 to 22 year olds have historically been attached to schools and universities in the US versus the academy system in Europe which is private and usually funded by a pro team. Clear separation of academics and athletics (though for the under 18 crowd, usually they have a direct or indirect accredited academic program attached). For football/soccer, the Academy system is proven to work and it will take time the US to adjust and it will not be painless.

My only two concerns about an academy style network in the US is 1) it can be money driven where only the well to do can get on a team because of costs and such many inner city kids don't have the chance and 2) while it does provide a better training environment, very few of this kids will make it to the top and one has to question for those who do not, was it worth the sacrifice.

Reaction Score
It hasn't been fully instituted by the US soccer Federation yet.

Reaction Score
When it's fully put into place, I think it is the way to go.

Reaction Score
Good clip. Culturally, one of the big differences between the US and Europe is that major sports programs for 14 to 22 year olds have historically been attached to schools and universities in the US versus the academy system in Europe which is private and usually funded by a pro team. Clear separation of academics and athletics (though for the under 18 crowd, usually they have a direct or indirect accredited academic program attached). For football/soccer, the Academy system is proven to work and it will take time the US to adjust and it will not be painless.

My only two concerns about an academy style network in the US is 1) it can be money driven where only the well to do can get on a team because of costs and such many inner city kids don't have the chance and 2) while it does provide a better training environment, very few of this kids will make it to the top and one has to question for those who do not, was it worth the sacrifice.

Check this out. Sporting KC is going to establish a whole separate academy way out in Garden City, KS. It will have a USL PDL Team as the flagship. Garden City is in the middle of nowhere but it has a high Hispanic population and is becoming something of a soccer hotbed.

I love the these owners are going outside the box. The European model is great, but our country doesn't have the density of clubs so you really have to cast your net way outside of your city.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article4468934.html

Reaction Score
Good article in the local paper in the tough choice a lot of high school players have in US to play for the technically superior private (and very expensive) club teams or playing in front of family and friends for the glory of a state title. At least the girls in Jersey can play both if schedules permit right now, boys who play for a private club can only play for the club, they cannot also play high school soccer (or any high school sport really as club soccer is year round).

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/h...-scholastic-a-tough-choice-1.1135915?page=all

On better news, heading to the local high school tonight with some hot chocolate to catch the Jersey Group 1 (small schools) Semi-final match (Group 1, i.e. small) between nearby Waldwick and state power Harrison (same city where Red Bulls arena is located). Should be an exciting game as both teams like to score. Waldwick is the newcomer that has won several sectional titles lately; but, has not been able to get over the hump to the state championship having fallen to Harrison, which has 24 states titles (Group 1 & 2), twice in the last 4 years.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that somebody's daddy/attorney has let the CIAC get away with this rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom