Clingan may think he knows what it takes to star at UConn, but here’s the scoop from some coaches | The Boneyard

Clingan may think he knows what it takes to star at UConn, but here’s the scoop from some coaches

Reaction Score
Article from the Courant. The quotes from the coaches are general ideas and not really directed toward Clingan.

Free access link:
Donovan Clingan may think he knows what it takes to star at UConn, but here’s the real scoop from some of the nation’s top high school coaches

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
“I feel like I’m a very good passer out of the post, finding the open man,” Clingan said. “I feel like passing is definitely the biggest thing.”

What a refreshing viewpoint by a High School player - no hero ball. Distribution is such an important skill for a big man. If only Sanogo could latch onto that idea

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
“I feel like I’m a very good passer out of the post, finding the open man,” Clingan said. “I feel like passing is definitely the biggest thing.”

What a refreshing viewpoint by a High School player - no hero ball. Distribution is such an important skill for a big man. If only Sanogo could latch onto that idea

If you paid any sort of attention to Sanogo's play the last few weeks, you would see a kid that has put a ton of effort into becoming a better passer. It's clear as day that he works extremely hard at his craft to become a better player and is team-first.

I sometimes wonder if you even like this program. You regularly take a dump on players and the head coach and it makes zero sense to me.

Reaction Score
Article from the Courant. The quotes from the coaches are general ideas and not really directed toward Clingan.

Free access link:
Donovan Clingan may think he knows what it takes to star at UConn, but here’s the real scoop from some of the nation’s top high school coaches
Clingan seems a great kid. Can't wait for him to be a Husky! I do think we need to pump the brakes a bit in expecting him to be an immediate star, though. He'll eventually be an excellent player. My sense is that he's still very raw and that he's been able to dominate Connecticut HS basketball based on his sheer size and athleticism. He'll need to make adjustments at the collegiate level and they'll take some time. I'm confident that he'll eventually get there and be a force -- I just worry some of us are expecting instant greatness. He's a bit a project, despite the insane numbers he's putting up this year.

Reaction Score
Fortunately we don't need him to dominate next year.

Sanogo will be back, Johnson can slide into the Whaley role, and Clingan can get spot minutes as needed to get used to the level of competition.

It really is a shame he stayed in that pathetic league. I think both he and us (and Hurley) would have liked to see what he can do against legitimate competition.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Sanogo at least looking now. That’s a vast improvement from early season.

Reaction Score

Glad to see young Donovan put such emphasis on ball handling, am I right, @Sphinx? ;)

Reaction Score
If you paid any sort of attention to Sanogo's play the last few weeks, you would see a kid that has put a ton of effort into becoming a better passer. It's clear as day that he works extremely hard at his craft to become a better player and is team-first.

I sometimes wonder if you even like this program. You regularly take a dump on players and the head coach and it makes zero sense to me.

It's a really odd post given how much he's improved in that regard over the course of the season.

Reaction Score

He doesn't, he's 100% rooting for the team to fail so he can complain even more

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's a really odd post given how much he's improved in that regard over the course of the season.
Agreed. He is still learning. Took awful shots in the first half vs DePaul where he should have passed out. But he is also seeing the double come now, and is better at knowing when to pass.

As for Clingan, I'm not worried about his offense. Glad he thinks passing is important, with his size it can be a weapon. I'm worried about his defense and overall athleticism. Love that he is coming to UConn, but I have a really hard time seeing him play defense at the 5 the way Hurley expects it to be played today.

Reaction Score
Adama's passing skills/awareness have improved dramatically since his freshman year. He is also establishing his position deeper in the paint to receive entry passes so there are occasions when he just needs to finish the play because of his excellent positioning. . Looking forward to him showing those skills in Feb against the meat of our BE schedule. A lot to like about his trajectory.

As for DC-- Having a Big who is skilled(and enjoys ) getting the ball to the open man is a huge advantage. Stay tuned.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Fortunately we don't need him to dominate next year.

Sanogo will be back, Johnson can slide into the Whaley role, and Clingan can get spot minutes as needed to get used to the level of competition.

It really is a shame he stayed in that pathetic league. I think both he and us (and Hurley) would have liked to see what he can do against legitimate competition.

This. Those who haven’t seen him play might be a bit underwhelmed next year, I think it will take him one or more to get up to speed, but if he can come in, rebound and pass the ball out of the post that will be a plus.

And yea, he really could have benefited from leaving that league.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Did he do so in the 1st half against DePaul? - if you read my posts after some of the previous games I did say his vision was getting better. His inclination is to shoot first when faced with a double team and if you knew anything about basketball the correct thing for a big man to do is look for the open teammate before throwing the ball blindly at the hoop
It must be wonderful to be myopic in your vision as a fan and see everything coming up roses
I have been a fan probably before you were born and have given a ton of money to UConn athletics in all sports - I voice my opinion and if you don't like it TS

Reaction Score

Sanogo said on a recent podcast that the number one thing he’s working on right now is passing out of the post. I see improvement there too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom