Clawson To Wake? | The Boneyard

Clawson To Wake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You don't make an offer unless you know it will be accepted yes? Unless it's Clawson's agent leaking it to up the ante from Warde.

I love conspiracy theories.

Reaction Score
If not true would expect to hear a retraction within the hour.

Crickets?

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
3 sides to every story,yours mine and the truth.

Reaction Score
Well this would explain why he had no interest in the UConn job, he already had the Wake job fairly secured

Reaction Score
Full story:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...31209/dave-clawson-wake-forest-football-hire/

Bowling Green coach Dave Clawson has agreed in principle to become the next coach at Wake Forest, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation. The details could be finalized as early as tomorrow.

Wake Forest officials interviewed Clawson late Sunday night and offered him the job today. Wake Forest chose Clawson over Ball State coach Pete Lembo, whom Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman interviewed on Thursday in the Muncie, Ind., area.

Not long after Wake offered Clawson the job, Lembo publically pulled out of the running. (Lembo is in the running for the Connecticut job and scheduled to interview in Atlanta. Clawson was never involved with that position.)

Clawson replaces Jim Grobe, who resigned after five consecutive losing seasons. He stepped down after Wake finished 4-8 this year.

The hiring comes after Bowling Green's dominating performance in the MAC title game on Friday night. Bowling Green (10-3) blew out No. 16 Northern Illinois, 47-27, to clinch the school's first MAC title since 1992.

Wellman, who is a Bowling Green graduate, attended the MAC title game on Friday night and interviewed Clawson in northwest Ohio on Sunday afternoon. The race to become Wake Forest's next head coach essentially came down to him and Lembo.

Clawson's background appears to be an ideal fit for the Demon Deacons. His two jobs prior to Bowling Green were at Fordham and Richmond, two academically oriented schools that Clawson dug out of losing ruts. Clawson's recruiting footprint at Wake Forest will be similar to the one he used in Richmond. ron

Clawson's niche is as a program builder and player developer, which is what's needed at Wake Forest. The Demon Deacons play in the ACC Atlantic Division with Clemson and Florida State, the league's two clear-cut juggernauts.

Clawson has built Bowling Green up to be a consistent MAC contender, as the Falcons return seven starters on offense next season. That includes two of the best players in the MAC, star sophomore quarterback Matt Johnson and sophomore running back Travis Greene, who rushed for a school-record 1,555 yards this season.

Reaction Score
I like Lembo over Clawson, so IMO this isn't bad news for UCONN.

Reaction Score
Jimdish255 said:
Sorry, we've already decided on Narduzzi and TJ. :D

I like that too. I like anything that keeps TJ on the staff.

Reaction Score
Clawson really had BG playing well against NIU. This is bad news for Cuse and Pitt.

Reaction Score
Wellman also emphasized the need for the Deacons’ coach to not only have experience at a private school but also to recognize and embrace the standards and ideals of a private school.
“Just because someone has experience at a private school does not necessarily mean they support everything that is different about private schools — compared to a public institution,’’ Wellman said last Thursday. “You just need to have someone who not only understands the difference but supports what the differences might be.’’

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Reaction Score
All kidding aside, good coaches elevate leagues, as they did for awhile in the BE. He is a good get for the ACC. We need to do the same.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
jostar1 said:
Wellman also emphasized the need for the Deacons’ coach to not only have experience at a private school but also to recognize and embrace the standards and ideals of a private school.
“Just because someone has experience at a private school does not necessarily mean they support everything that is different about private schools — compared to a public institution,’’ Wellman said last Thursday. “You just need to have someone who not only understands the difference but supports what the differences might be.’’

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Everything in that article says that Wake has no interest in high level athletics in general and FB in particular.

I hate everyone responsible for our current conference situation.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Everything in that article says that Wake has no interest in high level athletics in general and FB in particular.

Agree. Wake is grandfathered in despite making no serious efforts to become champions at anything. Small stadium, no facilities (which they still haven't raised money for) and lowballing coaching candidates but they are in a Power conference while UCONN sits on the sidelines. I hate CR too…until we are called up.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

It seems like Wellman is content to set up his coach to fail, but doesn't care if the coach does do exactly that. He's already arming Clawson with excuses if Wake is not a winner. I hope the money is good, Coach Clawson.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
What Wake lacks in salary and prestige, it makes up in low expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom