Clark Scores 44 | The Boneyard

Clark Scores 44

Reaction Score
Tossed up 31 of Iowas 68 shots. Was only 13-31, but 13-17 from the foul line. Can you imagine the points some of UConns players could score if they tossed it up 31 times?

Reaction Score
Off hand I can't remember s UConn team that depended so heavily on one player as with Iowa and Clark. Dispite her 44 points Iowa almost lost which doesn't bode well for how far Iowa can go this year. If Iowa can win 30 games and get to the final four Clark will be a worthy NPOY but unless they can consistently get more production out of everyone not Clark I don't see them doing that.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This is the general basketball thread in which, I hope, we take a look at basketball and said players in a holistic sense, not viewed from the perspective of one team or another.

That said, regarding; Caitlin Clark last night, both Iowa and Va. Tech made the Final Four last year. Let' hear from Kenny Brooks in relation to Clark.

"I love my girls [on my team], but sometimes you're playing checkers and she's playing chess," Brooks said. "She's that good.

"She is a generational player and we are going to watch this young lady play for a very long time and she is going to play at a very high level," Brooks said.

Now, my (Dillon) thoughts. I remember when Diana Taurasi was just out of college and thinking she was just at a different level than most of her peers in terms of technical ability, seeing the game and internal drive to succeed. Clark is like this 15-20 years down the road. Her eyes are beyond focused (the drive) and she can pretty much do whatever she wants with virtually all players.

She doesn't have the surrounding players that DT had -- or currently, Paige Bueckers -- but she raises all boats, so to speak. Does she shoot a lot and control the ball? Yes, because she has to.

There were 15,000 people in Charlotte last night. Yes, a large bunch came to root for Va. Tech, but a lot of these folks also wanted to see the "Caitlin Clark Traveling All Star" show.

Reminds me of the songwriter Josh Ritter's line: "All the other girls here are stars, you're the Northern Lights."

A lot of great things make up the basketball universe: Might as well enjoy them all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is the general basketball thread in which, I hope, we take a look at basketball and said players in a holistic sense, not viewed from the perspective of one team or another.

That said, regarding; Caitlin Clark last night, both Iowa and Va. Tech made the Final Four last year. Let' hear from Kenny Brooks in relation to Clark.

"I love my girls [on my team], but sometimes you're playing checkers and she's playing chess," Brooks said. "She's that good.

"She is a generational player and we are going to watch this young lady play for a very long time and she is going to play at a very high level," Brooks said.

Now, my (Dillon) thoughts. I remember when Diana Taurasi was just out of college and thinking she was just at a different level than most of her peers in terms of technical ability, seeing the game and internal drive to succeed. Clark is like this 15-20 years down the road. Her eyes are beyond focused (the drive) and she can pretty much do whatever she wants with virtually all players.

She doesn't have the surrounding players that DT had -- or currently, Paige Bueckers -- but she raises all boats, so to speak. Does she shoot a lot and control the ball? Yes, because she has to.

There were 15,000 people in Charlotte last night. Yes, a large bunch came from Charlotte, but a lot of these folks also wanted to see the "Caitlin Clark Traveling All Star" show.

Reminds me of the songwriter Josh Ritter's line: "All the other girls here are stars, you're the Northern Lights."

A lot of great things make up the basketball universe: Might as well enjoy them all.
Wonderfully said, Dillon77. Thank you.

I'm so frustrated and disappointed in many of my Boneyarders who, whether envious, jealous or simply petty, refuse to admit to Caitlin Clark's brilliance.

I'm a diehard Huskies fan but also am a huge sports fan, and there is no better watch in women's college basketball than Caitlin Clark. Like Paige Bueckers, she's also a fine young woman who handles the ridiculous spotlight really well. I find her very easy to root for...

Why, oh why, do BYers feel the need to denigrate Caitlin after what she did last night to help Iowa beat Va Tech? It wasn't her best shooting night and she is, as has been noted above, still getting used to a new chemistry on her team.

Someone here conjectured how many points unnamed UConn players would score if they 'tossed it up' 31 times. That's an interesting question. I'd just suggest that we consider that whoever those mystery persons are would need to do so while facing the same defensive attention Caitlin encounters each game. It's truly a tribute to her ability that she can create open space that often.

Reaction Score

I'm so frustrated and disappointed in many of my Boneyarders who, whether envious, jealous or simply petty, refuse to admit to Caitlin Clark's brilliance.

I'm a diehard Huskies fan but also am a huge sports fan, and there is no better watch in women's college basketball than Caitlin Clark. Like Paige Bueckers, she's also a fine young woman who handles the ridiculous spotlight really well. I find her very easy to root for...

Why, oh why, do BYers feel the need to denigrate Caitlin after what she did last night to help Iowa beat Va Tech? It wasn't her best shooting night and she is, as has been noted above, still getting used to a new chemistry on her team.

Someone here conjectured how many points unnamed UConn players would score if they 'tossed it up' 31 times. That's an interesting question. I'd just suggest that we consider that whoever those mystery persons are would need to do so while facing the same defensive attention Caitlin encounters each game. It's truly a tribute to her ability that she can create open space that often.
Because not everyone was impressed with her performance last night? I like Caitlin and thought she was brilliant last March. Last night was not in that level despite the high point total and I feel the need to pretend to be awed. Caitlin is a generational player but that was not a generational night.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I seem to recall we saw some of the same type of commentary with Plum and Ionescu, probably others as well.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'll just chime in and point out that people are criticizing her performance (in multiple threads) despite a huge top 10 win last night and a 44 point performance. When has that ever happened before? Caitlin Clark's numbers so far through 2 games are:
36 ppg
7.5 rpg
8 apg
16:1 A/TO ratio
Shooting splits of 50/36/75

Her team is 2-0 and has a win over a top 10 team in a neutral/road environment. What she's accomplishing is unparalleled and truly mind boggling. The sad thing is she could turn water into wine and people here would still search for negative things to say.

Reaction Score
It wasn’t Clark’s most efficient game but there seems to be way too much criticism over a player carrying her team to a victory over a top 10 opponent. It’s week one people.. Clark wasn’t peak efficient until later on in the season last year as well

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark is just incredible and a joy to watch. Not only did she drop 44 points, but she also grabbed 8 rebounds and dished out 6 assists. What really blew my mind, she played the whole game and only had 1 turnover. That is OUTSTANDING!! We just have to appreciate the play of Caitlin Clark.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I appreciate aspects of Caitlin Clark’s game. As a long time basketball fan I do have to say I don’t care for her shot selection, especially ‘logo threes’ as the first option of the offensive set. Low percentage shot in my opinion. A half court three or very deep range three is one thing. Just because a half court shot is made with the clock winding down is one thing, jacking up deep range shots at will is another. that’s my opinion. Taking 31 shots is a lot of shots! dang, if a player took 31 shots in a game while I was playing (back in the day) that player would be considered a ’ball hog’!

She is a phenomenal passer and has great court vision. i do not care for the arguing every call or her ‘antics’ at times. That is excessive. It seems like numerous players argue with the refs about every call that they don’t like. CC does seem to get favorable calls too. Could be some implicit bias going on. Being passionate and expressive is one thing, too much posturing is another. Just play your game.

Reaction Score
My view is that she’s truly a one of a kind type of player. The defense of Virginia tech was keyed in on her and she made plays for herself and teammates time and time again. While inefficient, I think that’s more a product of circumstance. If she was playing with the supporting cast many of the other top players have, I think she’d take fewer shots and be more efficient. This year, her usage is going to skyrocket even more, due to those circumstances.

The only shots I don’t love that she takes are when she pulls up from 35 feet. Yes, she can make those, but her percentage on those is really low. Sometimes shots like that feel equal to a turnover to me.

I do agree that if we got Azzi 30 shots a game she’d probably also average 25 per game. But what’s admirable is that Clark literally has to score 30 a game for them to win. That’s a lot of pressure to perform every single night.

Closest Uconn parallel I can think of is Maya Moore her senior year. Especially in the first few months of that season, before the freshman Hartley and Dolson got comfortable.

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark has the respect of two GOATs of the WNBA.

Lisa Leslie:

"Caitlin is phenomenal. I think we have not seen a player like her," the two-time WNBA champion and three-time MVP said. "And I say that because she's a mixture of Diana Taurasi in her consistency of shooting and being able to take over a game. I think she's a little bit like Sue Bird because she has the ability to pass the ball. But then she's tall enough like Sheryl Swoopes.

Diana Taurasi:

"I would pick her up 94 feet and mess with her so bad," the WNBA's all-time leading scorer said. "I would poke at her, I would jab at her, I would frustrate her. I would do dumb stuff. I would get a technical. I would get a flagrant. You've got to disrupt the rhythm of the game."

Source:

'She's one of one, period': WNBA stars, LSU players chime in on Iowa's Caitlin Clark

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Got her triple double. Became only the second player in D1 history to have at least one in four different seasons. They didn't specify, but Ionescu has to be the other one.

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark looks dazed tonight, tired and front-rimming it throughout the game.

K State with a three-point lead in the final seconds and, as much as I'm a fan of Caitlin, she might not be the Hawkeyes' best bet to score.

A few hours after Paige put on a show, let the NPOY conversation heat up!;)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark looks dazed tonight, tired and front-rimming it throughout the game.

K State with a three-point lead in the final seconds and, as much as I'm a fan of Caitlin, she might not be the Hawkeyes' best bet to score.

A few hours after Paige put on a show, let the NPOY conversation heat up!;)
Pretty disappointed to see her flat out quit after her last 3 point attempt clanged. Clock was still running. K State sprinted down and got a layup. She just put her head down and stood there.

Reaction Score
Pretty disappointed to see her flat out quit after her last 3 point attempt clanged. Clock was still running. K State sprinted down and got a layup. She just put her head down and stood there.
2 possession game with three seconds left. It was over.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
2 possession game with three seconds left. It was over.
Of course it was over, but she could've still put up a little resistance to try to prevent the insult to injury score at the end.

On the flip side, K State really should've just dribbled the clock out rather than rubbing it in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom